Perfect amp? A 35 watt small 5f6-a?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm confused by the fixed bias, cathode bias thing. I know you are a great amp tech; I'm just a player, but to me fixed means you have to measure and set the bias while cathode means plug and play. How does this do both? Do you need to pull the chassis and occasionally solder in resistors to bias it like some 60s blackface amps? Also, being as these amps are all 20+ years old, is it safe to assume they all need a cap job?

There is a three way switch on the back panel for choosing from those three options. The cathode bias option is ‘self-adjusting’….meaning yes…plug and play. The fixed biased modes have a common bias adjustment. One sets the solid state rectified circuit and the tube rectified circuit will be just a little cooler than the solid state circuit. I have not yet recapped a Pro Sonic. I have not heard one with weakening electrolytic caps. I listen for the first signs of weakness. That said, for what this amp does, it is a winner, imho….best Fender amp since 1985, and perhaps one of their best ever for versatility and quality. Ommv. 2x10…54 pounds. It can mimic a great number of very different amps.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
My 2 "ideal amps" would be a Princeton in a 1x15 cab and 5f6a-ish running 6V6GTs for 15-20 watts and a 4x8 cab.

I think.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
A Bassman with 6L6's running at 420-430V, Bandmaster OT, Trem into the second stage courtesy of a Vibro Champ.

9e13753092fac206b486e697e34583c3.gif

SRvehme.jpeg

Reverb I would insert it just before the PI.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Perfect amp would be practicing so much that it was inconsequential because you are killing it under any circumstances. That being said I wishhh my ‘62 GA5 was 30 watts

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
Perfect amp would be practicing so much that it was inconsequential because you are killing it under any circumstances. That being said I wishhh my ‘62 GA5 was 30 watts

Oh, believe me, There will be hundreds of hours of practice completed before I actually get around to building this dream amp of mine.

Luckily, I have a few nice amps as it is, so I don't have to suffer much.

@Wally - You are the ultimate cheerleader for the Prosonic! (And, yes, I do want to try one). The only downside to it, that I can see, is the weight. QAt 54 lbs, that would make it my heaviest amp... Kind of At that point, I'll just bring the Twin or the Bassman. Although, but does meet my 30 watt requirement.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Oh, believe me, There will be hundreds of hours of practice completed before I actually get around to building this dream amp of mine.

Luckily, I have a few nice amps as it is, so I don't have to suffer much.

@Wally - You are the ultimate cheerleader for the Prosonic! (And, yes, I do want to try one). The only downside to it, that I can see, is the weight. QAt 54 lbs, that would make it my heaviest amp... Kind of At that point, I'll just bring the Twin or the Bassman. Although, but does meet my 30 watt requirement.

but….those big tweeds won’t do what a Pro Sonic will do. The Pro
Sonic will get very close to doing what the big tweeds do….and little tweeds, and old early ‘50s tweeds, and clean surf, and on and on. Very light package for what it will do.
Rah, Rah, Rah…. (;^)

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
Excellent responses fellas! Lemme see if I can address a few...

@Antoon - how did that amp work for you?

It is an ideal gigging amp. But don't focus too much on the power rating. It is also the 12ax7 in the cathode follower (take that away with all other things remaining equal, and the amp becomes much louder and cleaner), the really small output transformer (less than half of the weight of the 5f6a OT) and in my case the inefficient speakers I use that make the amp what it is. Also I stuck to a large 5E6 cabinet (with a 2 or 3 x 10" baffle) instead of the smaller 5f4 cabinet. I feel that the large cabinet is partly responsible for the Bassman sound. Compared to the 5f6a the clean headroom is much lower. Sometimes I miss clean headroom in the amp.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Something voiced like a tweed Tremolux in a 2x10” combo would be perfect for me.

Two channels, one harp, one guitar.

Put a lower-gain preamp tube in the harp channel for me (harp mics don’t like high gain)…

High Head Brad

Tele-Meister
I have a Victoria Silver Sonic which ticks most of your boxes except it’s only 20W. I cant imagine it not being loud enough, although I haven’t played with a sax player.

My dream amp would be a 20W cathode biased tweed amp with tremolo. I know a few builders make a double deluxe, I wonder if any could make a double Tremolux (5E9)?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
So, I think I want to (with massive help from others) design a 35 watt, either 2x10 or 1x12 tweed Bassman/HP Twin.

I know it won't have the 4x10 spread... But, this is more of a grab and go, or small gigging amp. Something light, relatively compact, but enough juice to get over my saxophone player (We all adjust to his volume). I am contemplating adding bias vary trem... But, not so sure about that just yet. Might keep it simple?

I guess I could go with one of the mid-powered tweeds... I mean, they kinda do what I'm asking about here, but they are different. I haven't really studied the circuits yet, but I do know they are different... And, I love my Bassman (and HP Twin).

Anybody wanna help me find a schematic, or help me design something like this?

But, the other part of this post is to find out what you think YOUR perfect amp would be? Is it small wattage, big wattage? Multiple speakers? Reverb and trem?
Consider taking a look at the Brown Vibrolux 1 x 12 amp layout. It's a superb amp, not too loud, small, but 6L6 based. Kinda flies under the radar a lot because everyone wants a reverb amp.
Vibrolux-6G11-A-Layout.jpg

Last edited:

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Consider taking a look at the Brown Vibrolux 1 x 12 amp layout. It's a superb amp, not too loud, small, but 6L6 based. Kinda flies under the radar a lot because everyone wants a reverb amp.
View attachment 993086

...and everyone wants harmonic vibrato.

Still a wonderful amp, and right-sized for a lot of applications. It's nice to have a 1x12" Fender that's a bit more capable than a Deluxe.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member

Still a wonderful amp, and right-sized for a lot of applications. It's nice to have a 1x12" Fender that's a bit more capable than a Deluxe.

just to keep things straight for those who don’t know, the Vibrolux is the only 6G Fender GUITAR amp with 6L6s other than the 1963 6G16 VibroVerb that DOES NOT a have that harmonic vibrato circuit. Both of these amps run a bias vary trem.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 993086

What messes me up about this? Fender's making this exact amp today!

It tempts me.... The Pro Reverb of today! It's a 12" Neo, 40 watt, w/ bias vary trem.

I am just not sure if I can get along with Blackface tone these days. I really should go check one out.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter

Some people do like it for sure. I cant stand it. One of the reasons I sold my last brown Super.
But I also imagine Fender sold far more BF/SF amps which people loved. I never heard much talk about wanting them to go back to the harmonic tremelo back in the day... or they likely would have felt to pressure to do so you would think. Yet, for some people it's a plus....
But this discussion is about a smaller 5F6A which has no tremelo at all, so we are getting far afield to that I suppose...

Last edited:

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
Honestly, I'd love tremolo, but it would have to be bias vary.

Since I am not particularly smart when it comes to amplifier design and stuff... I am not sure I'm ready to tackle adding tremolo. (I do have a pedal that does the bias vary thing pretty convincingly, so.....)

I have often contemplated building a Tremolux or Vibrolux. But, they are similar in size and volume to my 5e3. I want something a step up... the Super/Pro/Bandmaster sit here. Which is why I think about them all the dang time.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I want something a step up... the Super/Pro/Bandmaster sit here. Which is why I think about them all the dang time.
Of those, the 5E7 Bandmaster is my favorite.

Re: that ‘68 Custom Pro Reverb……FYI, that amp can be revoiced much more dramatically to the tweed side of things, ime. Fender did not go far enough, imho.

Revel

TDPRI Member
I've built several and I think they are as good as it gets. Adjustable bias with 6v6s. Paired with a Jensen Neo it weighs 32lbs and it covers a tremendous amount of sounds. You should definitely try it as a build.