1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

perception of past musical eras/fads, and the cringe

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mexicanyella, Jan 18, 2017.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I grew up listening to '60s and '70s country and classic rock, some on AM radio, and hit my college-years broadening of my musical horizons around the time Nirvana came along. I got pretty swept up in the Soundgarden/Alice in Chains/Nirvana approaches to rock, and suddenly it seemed hard to relate to, say, Whitesnake or anything wearing spandex, hair spray and singing about sexual prowess. Those cavernous snare reverbs, super-compressed high-gain guitar lines whammied within an inch of their lives, all that plodding dull rhythm trying to support all those histrionics...I did not want to talk about having listened to that stuff! I would be perceived as a classic-rock or metal hick!

Now in my later 40s, I find that some of the '90s stuff seems dated and hard to relate to (although I still like Soundgarden and the way the vocal harmonies were arranged Alice in Chains' stuff). And I find when certain '80s stuff comes on that I am smiling and turning it up and thinking, "you know, this has some really cool stuff going on in it."

A few examples...Cutting Crew's "Died in Your Arms Tonight" always struck me as kind of overwrought sappy pop rock, but hearing it now, it's got some hard-hitting drums and really slick guitar work:

And I always thought the Stabilizers' "One Simple Thing" was a cool song..

...though the video is still a little bit ick for me...those outfits seem impractical and uncomfortable, if nothing else. Then again, it's sometimes more fun to hear synths being played than see them being played, and they had to show something in the video.

And Donny Iris' "Ah Leah"...I never got to thinking that song didn't rock.

Thoughts? Reactions? Please discuss.

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Personally, 80's music always bothered me for reasons you discussed in your post. So much recorded music in the 80's sounds so over-produced, it's hard to imagine real guitar or drums being used. For me, I don't see that changing. But it's nice for you if you have a whole 'new' era of music to explore.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love 80s music--Two-tone skankin, blues hammers, pop trash, synth exuberance, mindless crotch metal, new no wave, college party overtime, wastoid thrash--because I'm a music nerd. So what if I was wearing Doc Martens and a flannel around my waist in 1991, that's funny to me now :lol:. Getting some new Docs this month though. What are we making fun of again?

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Alice in Chains were a glam metal band, which became a little less glammy. Their claim to fame was being from the Seattle area, not that they weren't a good band.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

"Mindless crotch metal" just got added to my vocabulary, and I thank you.

I saw Steel Panther about a month ago with a friend. I wish I'd had heard that term that night!

coolikedat99 and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.