PepperFox Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pepperfox, Jun 12, 2019.

1. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

Posted on another site I'm a member of, but wanted to share here...because Tele

Got the body jointed, planed, jointed and glued tonight.

[​IMG]

Rosewood and ebony boards...mmmmm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Extra wood pics of some rosewood I have for other builds...because wood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RodeoTex likes this.
  2. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

Body routed. Next is to cut the tabs off on the bandsaw. Sand on OSS. Flush route the tabs to the body. 1/2 inch roundover route on back. Route binding channel. Glue Binding. Scrape binding. Rasp body and heel contours. Scrape. Sand. Sand. Sand. Grain fill. Sand some more. Paint! Whew!

I hope to get the neck going tomorrow and will show the process I use for that.

For the body, I joint one side and plane it to about 1/16" too thick. Then run a face operation in Fusion 360 CAM to take that 1/16 off. That ensures the face of the body is flat and perpendicular to the routes. The rear gets hand tool TLC.

[​IMG]

Bandsawed out the body and sanded the tabs close.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I love this Bosch router bc it is a beast, but changing bits is a PITA.
    [​IMG]
    Testing the roundover on scrap
    [​IMG]
    Looks good...let's do the body
    [​IMG]
    Changing the bit (use an Amana rabbeting bit set...way cheaper than stewmac), and testing the height on the same scrap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The channel is a little deep so I adjusted the bit height once more (not pictured) and routed the body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.
  3. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

This is the tape I use to fix my blank to the spoilboard
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't take too much...sticky stuff but comes off easy.
    [​IMG]
    I use the same Index holes each time (until they wear out, and they get moved over)
    [​IMG]
    Blank gets taped in place and the same index holes get routed into the neck blank
    [​IMG]
    Then wooden dowels get pushed in. These index holes are along the center line of the neck...not the blank. That way you can do double sided operations.
    This is the profile roughed in.
    [​IMG]
    And a parallel smoothing tool path
    [​IMG]
    Then she gets flipped over with some more tape added to the bottom side.
    I always chuckle during the first operation...truss rod nuts will never be the same
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see CNC still leaves a lot of cleanup work. I leave 0.2mm all around the neck. That gives room to hand sand and fit to the neck pocket. Like an idiot, I forgot to run the ball end bit tool path, so sanding the headstock transition will be a *****.

Then it is time to joint and thickness the fretboard. This Ebony is nice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots and lots of dust!
    [​IMG]

Barncaster and John Nicholas like this.
  4. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

Here is how I go about making a fretboard.

Fasten the blank to the spoilboard making sure it is plumb to the Y Axis. Set Z Height at Origin and Zero the machine out. Home machine and resend to Zero.
    [​IMG]
    Run radius (16" here) tool path
    [​IMG]
    I'll end up sanding the tool marks out. Getting a perfectly smooth finish off the CNC would take a very long time. This parallel tool path took about 40 mins. Then I cut the frets with a 0.6 (.023in) end mill. One of my favorite things about CNC is being able to do blind fret slots. I hated binding fretboards and having to deal with cleaning the glue from the slots.

The Fox inlay and Nut Slot are cut with a 1/32" end mill.
    [​IMG]
    Then it is just a matter of cutting the board out with a .25 spiral flat end mill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here it is laying on top of the neck I made yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Barncaster and John Nicholas like this.
  5. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

Glued up the frerboard and started shaping the neck. Ebony dust is nasty
    [​IMG]
    Filled the inlay with two part epoxy resin and a drop of white Mixol tint
    [​IMG]
    Sanded it all off after a few days of curing. Left a mess.
    [​IMG]
    Then the board got fine sanded and the inlay was wiped off with some acetone. [​IMG]
    Neck contours shaped. Just needs to be finish sanded.
    [​IMG]

The body just got binding...not very exciting. Tape and glue...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    Hand carving the tummy cut and heel access carve. Might model this and cut on CNC...takes a long time and it's hot as balls in TX in the summer. The next batch of bodies will need CNC assistance. But anyways, here is how I do it...

Draw with pencil, shinto rasp, dragon rasp, scrape, sand, take shower after covered in sawdust.
    [​IMG]
    Pressed in some frets
    [​IMG]

Scraped the binding this weekend (finally). Also made some templates today for the bridge and neck mounting holes in the body. The thread on here about intonation and bridge placement inspired the templates.

Modeled this in my CAD. The tool path didn't quite make it all the way through the MDF, so the bottom is rough. Hadn't cleaned it up before taking this photo. I just line up the pickup routes and stick it down with tape before drilling on the drill press. This will get a Hipshot hardtail.

The small template fits in the neck pocket for drilling the mounting holes.
    [​IMG]

I'm working on 3 bodies at the moment, and grabbed the one that's getting an ashtray bridge for these pictures. That's why the holes are different. Body for this build looks the same otherwise.
    [​IMG]
    Back
    [​IMG]
    Heel
    [​IMG]
    Front mock-up
    [​IMG]
    Rear
    [​IMG]
    Neck transition
    [​IMG]

Next up will be sanding out all of the tool marks and scratches and grain filling.

The neck will get the fret ends filed down and beveled.

7. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That looks fantastic!!

pepperfox likes this.
  8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

This is looking really good.

I agree about the fret slots and at times wish I had the patience to learn CNC just to have hidden fret ends!!

Amazing, clean work!!

pepperfox and crazydave911 like this.
  9. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

This build is awesome to watch. I do wish that I had the precision of the CNC sometimes, but I'm still learning how to do everything by hand.

About the binding router bits. What size did you use for the binding? I've always loved the look of it, but didn't want to shell out $100+ on the Stew Mac set.

pepperfox and Jim_in_PA like this.
  10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

If you are going to do it on a table, then regardless of source, it's all about the bearing relative to the bit...IE cutter exposure. And, of course, the cutter and bearing combination has to be small enough to be able to easily negotiate the guitar's perimeter curves. You might check the "usual sources" for tooling for solutions that offer different bearing sizes and see if anything matches what StewMac offers. That said, there are just some cutters that you have to bite the bullet and go for the specialized product.

Now for those of use who do have CNC, if it's predetermined that binding will be on the top, it can be cut using an offset toolpath with a typical spiral end-mill. I'd probably use a small downcut for that personally, to keep the top edge clean.

----

OP, this is an outstanding build!

pepperfox and Jsil13 like this.
  11. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I was planning on using my handheld Bosch, but I'll check around for bearings and bit sizes and see what I find. Thanks for the help. I have a guitar for sale right now so if it sells I'm going to buy quite a few new tools for my shop. Then the SM stuff won't feel so bad.

pepperfox likes this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

As a DFW resident, I am following this with interest!!

Would love to hear more about your CNC setup. It is on my wish list as the pricing keeps coming down on the smaller options.

pepperfox likes this.
  13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Looks great!

pepperfox likes this.
  14. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

John Nicholas and Jsil13 like this.
  15. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

I bought the Openbuilds LEAD 1010 when it came out last Black Friday. Sturdy machine for the money. It's all lead screw driven, so it isn't as fast as a belt driven machine like XCarve or Shapeoko. The accuracy, repeatability, and maintenance are all superior in my experience. The brains of it is a XPro V3, I believe.

Use Rhino for CAD and Fusion 360 for CAM since I use a Mac.

Much of my build process is still by hand. The CNC is great for the neck profile...saves me a ton of time. I enjoyed carving by hand but it is equally as satisfying using rasps to fine tune the transitions.

I used to only use custom made templates, but CNC is a wonderful tool. Some think it's cheating...I am of the mindset that the design and execution are more important than whether or not it was made with only hand tools.

John Nicholas, brandonh and Jsil13 like this.
  16. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

EDIT: double post

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I hear you. I started out making a pattern for our overhead pin router (I sure miss that machine) that I cut the profile and all the front cavities with. Then I made a jig for our drill press that ensured the ferrule holes lined up. That was back in the early 2000's when I was trying to get my boss to buy a CNC machine with a 5x8 bed. I never could get him to do that. I made all my bodies and necks after work while the janitor cleaned the shop.

Then I went to work for a company that when I left had FOUR 5x12 bed CNC machines. I could just taste making a half dozen bodies and necks in about an hour. Alas I officed in Dallas and they were based in Chicago so I never got to use them for guitar building. I am still old schooling it with a MDF template, a router, band saw, and a ROSS. I was trained in CAD so the translation over to modeling software is not hard for me. Still looking to be able to do that CNC option but it will have to wait till I get a little more disposable income.

18. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

Hand-held is fine, too...sorry I missed that. A trim router even better! I suspect the bigger challenge will be to get a bit and bearing combination that cuts such a shallow rebate. I was looking at this today because I think I'm going to bind body number two and the binding material is thinner than a lot of the typical depth combinations from "common" tooling. The binding I'm considering is only 1.2mm/.040".

That Amana binding cutter setup linked to above looks pretty nice! I have a bunch of Amana tooling, including insert cutters of various types.

Jsil13 likes this.
  19. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

Frets beveled. That's all I had time for this weekend. [​IMG]

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

looks sweet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.