People You've Known with Unusual Names

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I went to school with:

-Summer Chick (f)

-Bobby Panaswat (m)

-Richard Hare (m)…nobody ever called him Dick Hare to his face.

-A girl whose first name was Corky…I assumed it was actually Courtney and maybe a sibling couldn’t say the name right, but no—her legal name was Corky…her mom looked like Natalie Wood and most of the third grade boys were in love with her (the mom, not Corky).

-Derek Dexheimer—and yes, he was outrageously intelligent and into computers.

-Tim Allen. Not the “Home Improvement” comedian, but he did work at Home Depot later.

-The high school principal in the small town just south of us was named Richard Head—and yes, he went by Dick.

—In my early 20’s I worked with a guy from Nigeria named Simeon Egwofobe (pronounced Egg-woff-oh-bee)…that’s ok, he mispronounced my name for the first six months, too.

—I worked with an Omar Sharif at the same company.

—I worked at a dialysis clinic with young African American man named Vincent Price…when I raised an eyebrow upon our introduction, he just said, “I don’t know why my mama did that, so please don’t ask.” I never did.

—At the same clinic, there was another guy whose given name was Sony—his family was from India. His hobby? Car stereos and related competitions…but that was his given, legal name.

—I have an uncle and a cousin both named Rick Savage (no, not the guy from Def Leppard)

—I have a friend/former jam buddy named Dink. I knew him for over 25 years when I found out that was a nickname, because nobody ever called him by his given name.

—I have a friend/former in-law named Eddie Durham (not the jazz guitarist, but a good guitarist, nonetheless). I wish we’d been able to keep him in the divorce.

I laughed uncontrollably (I was probably about 7) when my father told me that the people who'd lived in our house before we bought it were named Almendinger.

D.H.
Two years ago, I met a guy from Colorado on an online jam with that last name. Very talented guitarist and very funny guy.

Last edited:

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Three brothers in my childhood neighborhood were named Harvard, Princeton and Stanford. Aspirational parents. A boy in the same block was named Ajax.

beep.click

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a friend who legally changed her name to K C Valentine.

I worked for a lady named Bobalee.

I worked with a French lady named Fanny.

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
Some names from my family tree…

G grandfather’s first name… Volquart

Surname about 7 generations back that I’m thankful not to have… Crapser

Coolest name… Soleme Krecke

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I’ll have to spell this phonetically because I’m not sure how it is spelled. My grade-school best friend’s lovely cousin was named shawn-dawn-quin-nay. She went by Shawn.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I worked with two detectives who were partners, the were named Airey and Fairey, I sure hope there was some senior officer thought that was funny!

Teletubbie

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Couple of guys I worked with were
Monty Gibbon
Rahul Dik****

Still trying to find a Dwayne Pipe!

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
A friend dated a girl called Margo (Margot/Margaux) who looked very much how her name suggested; tall, blonde, elegant and with a plummy accent to match. However she totally embraced the nickname she picked up at school.

Everyone knew her as Maggot!

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
My family tree research revealed a Victorian ancestor by the name of Wolf Stein which I thought rather evocative 🐺 🤘

Last edited: