People You've Known with Unusual Names

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I had a classmate whose name was Manley Broom. I didn't know him real well. He passed away some years ago.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Had a friend whose mother's name was Mark. Apparently the police were waiting for them at the courthouse when they went to pick up their marriage certificate, thinking they were a same-sex couple. It was the '60s, after all.

In school I knew a girl named Charlemagne, but she went by Char. Her middle name was even worse.

I used to work with a Jordanian guy whose name was Kamal, but he pronounced it "camel". It wasn't a mistake- he spoke perfectly fluent English, but that was how he pronounced his name. The rest of us all agreed to just call him "Kam" and he was OK with that.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
I went to high school with girls named Wednesday and Ed. Someone else from my high school later named their kids Blaze and Talon.

On a related (pun to follow) quirk there are four names that account for more than half the names of my relatives but we all use a different derivation thereof and when someone passes it opens their derivation up again so the youngest may have the oldest sounding name.

You've got William, Bill, Will, Liam, etc. Then there's the Robert, Rob, Bob, Bobby, Robby, Bert group. Next for no reason comes the Peter, Pete, Petey group with has a lot of doubling up so it's usually accompanied by an Uncle or Cousin depending on company. Lastly are the ladies all sharing some form of Charlotte/Lottie/Charlie/CJ etc. Two of them just go by their middle names to avoid confusion.

The SSA and IRS are probably not fans.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Neighbor dad growing up was named Huns (pronounced “huntz”) and wife Wava … Irish surname … go figure.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My name’s not unusual in and of itself, but has a somewhat unusual spelling: Timm. It’s a fairly common surname, but I’ve only seen it as a first name a few times.

Mom and oldest sister named me. They liked the name but not how it was spelled!? My middle initial is “E” so “Timmy” growing up was pretty common.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
OK, one school name story: Had a student named Amanda Mount. VP comes on the PA after school and in his growly voice says “I need Amanda Mount! I need Amanda Mount in my office right now!”

Needless to say, that one stuck with him for awhile.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I had a number of Special Ed students a few years ago, who were from Republic of Congo. I'm not mocking their names from a foreign culture, but the fact is, they were definitely unusual here in the U.S. I don't want to name them specifically, to respect their privacy.....but I'll list first and last names separately, and let you imagine which goes with which. These were both young men.
Msolwe
Mugisha
Endolecha
Niaurehme

Last edited:

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
Over the years I knew Don Johnson, Susan Anton, Donald Southerland, Dave Stewart, Danny Partridge, Jack Black and Peter Pan.
As a kid, my dad worked with a cab driver with the last name Carr, a highway coach driver last name Driver and he was friends with a farmer last name Lands.

In a town I used to live in, a school had teachers named Gacey, Dahmer, Manson and Lucas. I think I was the only one who was amused that half the teaching staff shared names with serial killers.

SASouth

Tele-Meister
I worked with a vendor support engineer by the name of Dick Munch. Nice guy. He later started going by Richard Munch. I wonder why. :)

esseff

Friend of Leo's
I knew of someone whose surname was Syph. He'd get (understandably) annoyed if it was mis-pronounced (usually).
I'd have changed my name if I were in his shoes.

Slightly off subject. I was once in a busy hospital waiting room to get an infected hand fixed and a youth + girlfriend (fair to say they'd probably be unable to spell university, never mind attend one) were sitting next to me. Every so often a nurse would appear and announce the next person's name for treatment. After a couple of hours of shouting for the likes of Michael Smith, Steven Jones, Alan Wilson, Susan Collins etc, she appeared with her clipboard, looked around and called out: Paul Lee. (think about it!)
To my surprise the youth nearly fell of his chair laughing. Credit to the lad. 👍 Not many other people got it.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
How could I forget? I briefly dated Jacqueline Smith. She went by Jackie.
We both worked at a place where we also knew Bob Lawblaw.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
Didn't know him but Dick Trickle from NASCAR fame comes to mind. Apparently he had a lot on his mind and committed suicide in 2013.