People You've Known with Unusual Names

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I was going through some old books and my High School Yearbook popped up. I remember a young lady in HS who had an usual name. Her parents named her Ester Bonnie .... guess when she was born? How about you? Known anyone with a unique name?
My mother was named Ethel.....not a common name these days.
I am named after my father and grandfather, so I'm a III.......Tazewell. That's not one you hear every day.
Named my 2019 partscaster after them.
1649427525076.jpeg

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I had a classmate whose first name was Ezdan... I won't write his last name, because it would surely come up in a search, but it's equally goofy. To make matters worse for him socially in that less tolerant time, he was clearly gay, as well as Mormon, which could also attract ridicule. Our high school had an annual dance competition, and he would enter it with his sister as his dance partner and do quite well. I searched for him on the net and discovered that today he is a doctor with a wife and family and an interesting side business. The photos I found looked like the same guy with the addition of some years and pounds, and then I found a video of him singing a show tune and... yep, that's him. He was a perfectly nice guy and it looks like he has a nice life, albeit with what I perceive to be some significant compromises.

Last edited:

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I was going through some old books and my High School Yearbook popped up. I remember a young lady in HS who had an usual name. Her parents named her Ester Bonnie .... guess when she was born? How about you? Known anyone with a unique name?

A friend from junior high was named Artiom.
He was a prodigy at Chess and had beaten the national champion, but in an unofficial game.
So he was the unofficial national champion.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife's German mom named her Isolde. She's hated it all her life same time most everyone else after early school age teasing days finds it part of their intrigue. It's been kind of funny because she's a quiet and reserved person but has always stood out via her height, hair and shape so people think she's some sort of foreign mystery woman.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
A few come to mind.

Adam Baum, friend of a friend
Thomas Putfarkin (may have been spelled Puttfarkin), worked with my dad

I went to school with a Mike Hunt. He was a big, strapping farm boy so no one made fun of him to his face.

I was in the Navy with a guy whose last name was Wank (seriously, he was in my division). We also had a radioman named Bahls. They were friends and our Chief Corpsman would tease them when he saw them together. This is before everyone in the Navy turned into a crybaby...

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
My wife's German mom named her Isolde. She's hated it all her life same time most everyone else after early school age teasing days finds it part of their intrigue. It's been kind of funny because she's a quiet and reserved person but has always stood out via her height, hair and shape so people think she's some sort of foreign mystery woman.
I think that's a beautiful name...

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I worked with a guy called Bob Hannah who used to introduce himself: "Hello, I'm a pallindrome"

We also had a Graham Martin and a Martin Graham, which led to some humorous confusions with the typing pool.

The funniest for me, for reasons that I can't quite yet fathom me was a kid in our street called Quentin Soper. Possibly because it sounds like an untoward act that might occur in the bath.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
A few come to mind.

Adam Baum, friend of a friend
Thomas Putfarkin (may have been spelled Puttfarkin), worked with my dad

I went to school with a Mike Hunt. He was a big, strapping farm boy so no one made fun of him to his face.

I was in the Navy with a guy whose last name was Wank (seriously, he was in my division). We also had a radioman named Bahls. They were friends and our Chief Corpsman would tease them when he saw them together. This is before everyone in the Navy turned into a crybaby...

My stepfather's brother was named Harry Bush, which earned him a spot in the "Top 10 Funniest California Names" countdown when "The Late Show with David Letterman" visited San Francisco in 1996. He comes in at the 3:15 min. mark. His name was Harold, and I think he actually went by Hal, but, hey... it's show biz.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My oldest friend’s name is Wyatt Arp.
Arp, not Earp.
He’s a successful businessman, and the retired owner of a large Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership.
I did my first ever country bar gig with him, in 1975.
I digress.
Wyatt tells the story of getting in some playground trouble when he was 6.
The teacher asked his name, he told her, and got swatted (as things were done in the late 50s), and sent to the principal.
She thought he was being a smartass, and telling her a famous/made up name.
Upon learning it was indeed his name, she apologized.
Great guy, and a dear friend.