People who sit while you practice - what do you sit on? Pics appreciated.

Do you stand or sit while playing, or both?

• I only stand (95% or more).

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • I only sit (95% or more).

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I mostly stand, sometimes sit.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I mostly sit, sometimes stand.

Votes: 62 45.3%
  • I'm just here for free food.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I thought we were talking about potting soil.

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I've considered making this same poll, namely the "what do you sit on?"

I use my Steelcase Leap (office chair) but it's far from ideal. I have to sit on the edge (to avoid the arms) and after a long session my left leg/hip are sore and cramped up from the unnatural balancing act.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I used to practice standing all the time until a car accident caused me to develop hip problems.

My solution has been converting an office chair into a rolling stool by removing the arms and back. You can do this with some chairs, but not all of them. The good thing about this is such chairs can be bought at a thrift store or garage sale for about $10 or so.

Good idea. I think I saw one out by the dumpster earlier. Hmmm...

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
K&M 14045. I have one like this, but there is an optional back rest available.
11242270_800.jpg

TC6969

Friend of Leo's
Old age got to me and I found I couldn't stand for 4 hours anymore.

I bought a plain oak bar stool from Wal-Mart ($30 IIRC)

I stand until it gets painful and then step back and hang a butt cheek on the edge of the stool for a minute or so to take the weight off my feet.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I finally got a motorized sit stand desk and have been standing almost exclusively lately whilst practicing bc I didn't have a proper chair to mate it with, but I spent a few days working from home lately and my hard-bottom/no back stool wasn't doing it.

Got one of these a week or so ago. For the money ($160 USD), seems fine. My requirements were stool height, no arms, a bit of padding on the bottom, foot rest under the seat. Still probably 70% stand to play, but this is really great option the last week.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one of these On Stage guitar chairs, but I had to take it to a welding shop to get the foot rest on the right place. Great for sit down gigs as well. Gator makes one w/ an adjustable foot rest.

Throne-large.jpg

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have been trying to stand more, but I do still sit. I really love the Rocā€™nā€™Soc drum thrones. They are modular, sturdy and comfy. I have 3, the two pictured and one with a tripod stand and no seat back that my son uses for his drum kit.

D839B13A-0E8B-491B-BBC2-9ED5280043AA.jpeg 1C490FA8-C57F-495E-8AAB-01027C1F35DA.jpeg

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
I stand most of the time. I feel like I keep better time and feel the groove better with my whole body in the mix.
But if I do sit down, its on something with no arms. An armless office chair, piano bench, or a stool.
I used to have an armless rocking chair that I loved to be lazy and pick in, but it basically wore out and broke after 30 years and I havn't found a replacement.