People who sit while you practice - what do you sit on? Pics appreciated.

Do you stand or sit while playing, or both?

• I only stand (95% or more).

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • I only sit (95% or more).

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I mostly stand, sometimes sit.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I mostly sit, sometimes stand.

Votes: 62 45.3%
  • I'm just here for free food.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I thought we were talking about potting soil.

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey people,

I've been standing while I play 100% of the time for 35 years; gotten to the point where sitting and playing feels very alien. Now I've got foot problems (neuroma in each foot) and am thinking I need to start sitting again. Also, I want to make some YouTube videos and I think the sitting videos come across better than the ones where people stand.

So, I'm looking around and trying to figure out what kind of stool to get. Tons of options. I know I want something with back support, but other than that I'm not sure. My bass player friend just spent about a hundred bucks on a stool; looks very cool, comfy, but no back support.

I know most people sit for at least a large part of their playing and I'm kinda weird for sticking to standing, so show us what you be sitting on, and whether it's what you think is best for playing. Doesn't have to be a stool, could just be a couch.

Thanks!

Last edited:

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I stand to perform.
I sit in a chair in front of a music stand with either charts or my iPad to practice.
I am mostly an acoustic player so I’m fairly mobile.
If I’m just playing for fun, anywhere in the house is game.
Edge of the bed, edge of the tub, in the hallway with all the doors closed.
Different rooms give different sounds.

David Meiland

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I bought a tall stool. Right foot on the floor, left foot on the rung of the stool, body almost upright in a standing position but a lot of weight on the seat. This allows the guitar to hang as though I were standing. Sitting on anything lower tends to rotate the guitar so that the top isn’t plumb, which makes fretting and picking more awkward.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Bad back (forever) and overweight, so I play sitting down, many years now.

At home I'm not often doing serious
practicing, so much as always bringing back the many songs I have played over the years, back to the surface, playing the chord changes, leads.
Mostly on acoustic ( hours daily) in an easy chair.

At gigs, I always travel with a padded metal folding 'card table' chair & use that if I don't like chairs at a venue. Don't like bar stools; not comfy for me & no backs.

So always have my chair!

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I voted mostly stand AND I voted mostly sit. Because some days I’m one way, some days I’m the other. I prefer standing, because my long arms are a problem when I’m sitting with a guitar, but feet and legs ain’t what they used to was. I sit in the ‘40s maple office chair in the pic. I don’t recommend it. It’s horrible, but it’s mine.

Attachments

• 89C3F89C-2DE4-49AD-8EB2-EB6894406265.jpeg
    89C3F89C-2DE4-49AD-8EB2-EB6894406265.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 37

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a tall stool. Right foot on the floor, left foot on the rung of the stool, body almost upright in a standing position but a lot of weight on the seat. This allows the guitar to hang as though I were standing. Sitting on anything lower tends to rotate the guitar so that the top isn’t plumb, which makes fretting and picking more awkward.
I'm kinda leaning towards a drafting stool. I had a really nice one at a job for a long time back in the '80s.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Here's my stool sample: Tama Ergorider drum chair.

Super comfy, no arms to get in the way, height adjustable, it swivels, and it's built like a battleship. The low lumbar support makes sitting for extended periods very comfortable. I've had it 20 years and still looks new.

I refuse to call these things a "throne" because drummers are already far too consumed with delusions of grandeur :oops:

Tama-Ergorider-Les-Paul.jpg

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Back support isn't going to do anything for you in any sitting position I can think of, you just need a stool (nothing with arms, they'll be in the way). Classical position is really the best, though it takes some adjusting for an electric guitar, with the longer neck and different shape. Due to some severe shoulder problems I now have to change positions from time to time, but generally a pretty low stool and a guitarists footstool play into them.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a simple swivel chair with a back. It’s low, so my feet are on the floor. It swivels, so I can turn easily to look at the music stand, or amp, or computer. The back rest is a must. Wheels are a must, so I can roll here and there. Of course no arms. Bought it off Craigslist for $20. Love it, it’s perfect.

9250A310-6A30-4B49-AABC-779DC13DCE12.jpeg

Last edited:

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
I have a 2 station practice area, 3 stations if you count the drum set, but it is really more for other people that come to jam, I dont practice drums. Below are the pictures, this is for multiple instruments, as I play the saxophone, and trumpet standing pretty much only. My thoughts are ergonomics are very important, if you want to keep playing. I wear my guitars on a strap which holds it in the same positions standing or sitting. So going back and forth really doesn't bother me. This is in my basement so be forewarned laundry will be present, and Christmas decorations that need to be put in the attic.

Attachments

• 16520253970152262334237265766211.jpg
    16520253970152262334237265766211.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 16520254537157215209835454792185.jpg
    16520254537157215209835454792185.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 21

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to practice standing all the time until a car accident caused me to develop hip problems.

My solution has been converting an office chair into a rolling stool by removing the arms and back. You can do this with some chairs, but not all of them. The good thing about this is such chairs can be bought at a thrift store or garage sale for about $10 or so.