1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

People who put tape over the camera lense on their laptops?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The contents of every cell phone call and text that is made or sent is in a government data base. Not a big stretch for me to believe that somebody is sucking what they can through your computer camera or mic.

No tape over mine. I have a cute little round boo boo bandaid.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I've said it before and I'll say it again: ANYONE who is on the Internet and believes they have even a shred of privacy left is naive and deluded.

Therefore, I choose not to worry about it.

And, I could post a hundred links proving the Earth is flat and we never landed on the moon, not to mention Xenu blowing up all the Earth's volcanoes with atom bombs dropped from DC-3s with space engines on them. The devaluation of information has made your links irrelevant, especially those from organizations with known biases.

Yup, I'm pulling the "NOTHING on the Internet is trustworthy" card. Go ahead -- Refute that! ;) :D

Toto'sDad, 24 track and telemnemonics like this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Top ironic post of the day!

Blue Bill likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder if the misinformation age is the root cause of the current trend to hoard guitars?

Do a google search, learn 100 things about a subject, but only ten are true.

Keep buying cheap guitars until we can't remember all of them, and only ten of them get played.

soulgeezer likes this.
  6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I used to see this alot when working as an IT tech. I'm assuming they covered the camera lens so that their boss couldn't spy on them. Most bosses where I worked needed help using a mouse let alone tapping into someone's laptop to spy on them. Paranoia.

7. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Chance of my laptop camera being useful to me this year: 0%
    Chance of my laptop being hacked this year: 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Risk/benefit ratio: Infinitely greater risk of my camera being hacked than of me using it for something useful

Decision: tape

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

Anything made of wood especially rosewood, ebony and other exotics will soon be treated like ivory. Yes even more so than now.

9. soulgeezer

Nah. More likely, people will be saying things like, "Hey! That's a 2002 Henry-era Les Paul! It's so much better than the new 2020 models. Prices are going through the roof!" After all, that's what's happened with Norlins, ain't it?

(Although nobody actually says "Norlin" in a good way, people just cite the year and the Norlin-era Les Pauls have gone WAY up in price. So, six of one, right?)

eyerish likes this.
  10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

There are organizations (defense contractors, mainly), who require their employees to block the cameras on their laptops. They even go so far as to issue company-branded cover devices.

One of the jobs I have is to conduct online training. Without the ability to see a person on the other end, the quality of the training suffers, as there is absolutely no means to interact with a blank screen. But it is what it is.

I don't block my laptop's camera, but I don't use it (Skype, WebEx, FaceTime, etc.) on a regular basis, either.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My computer/laptop is serviced by an ex-military electronics expert and a friend who is a software engineer.
    Both advise people to cover the camera on the laptop.
    On a security note, my family is friends with an electronics military man, can't say which country but not this one. He worked at a secluded base here for several years. He told us that as far back as the 1980s that you can be seen, filmed in your back yard and that they have people able to lipread what you are saying.
    I am not paranoid as I don't have anything to worry about, but that was the satellite/military capabilities then now we have drones. Make up your own mind as to whether you want to put tape over that "eye" in the sky camera on your laptop.
    It's bad enough that I was looking at an amplifier on Ebay- next thing I'm being told to pay for it and I had one the bidding , I didn't even bid. Told them politely that was the case and I was not going to purchase.;)

12. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

My wifes ESET system security virus checker sometimes pops up a warning that someone is trying to access her notebook camera remotely. She told me about it and we didn't have any opaque tape so I stuck one of her red post it reading tab thing over it. So if they see anything at all, it's probably like having a misty red blur filter over the lens.

Figured it's best to be safe and sorry, though there are settings in windows 10 to turn the camera off or choose which apps to allow access to functions like mic, camera and location.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The earth is Flat!?, since when? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. soulgeezer

Where have I heard something like this before?

Oh, yeah, that's right...

[​IMG]

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

No @soulgeezer I am not in the habit of telling lies or spreading conspiracy theories. I take offense to your response.

16. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Look up: Sharyl Attiinsson - Reporter from CBS that sued the Fed's for hacking her computer.

You will do more than just put a piece of tape over your camera.

I have tape on all my cams on all my computers. I take it off for video meetings.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

There's no fighting in the war room!

Jupiter likes this.
  18. soulgeezer

No offense intended. It was a joke. Sorry if it was perceived otherwise.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

SG, we understand about the "shrinkage" and how it occurs. George suffered from it mightily, but he made it through. If it'll make you feel any better, just stuff a pair of socks, uh well you know what to do with it. Just don't keep freaking out just because you had your laptop in the bathroom when you stepped out of the shower when the hot water tank quit working. It happens, don't worry be happy.

20. soulgeezer

I believe you zoomed out when you wanted to zoom in... :p

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.