People who lived through the 70s- why was everything ugly?

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
I "missed" the 70s. I was working 500 miles away on the edge of The Nullarbor Plain a huge desert . I lived in a tiny town , the last, and all there was was work and some of Australia's best surfing spots. You could only get vegetables, if lucky, on Tuesdays. Missed all that disco stuff ( glad) and fashion but mates and I did keep up with incredible music and swapped albums and taped them. Got to know the local aboriginals and some great desert spots like water holes in the desert.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Not everything was ugly in the 70s.

1663235069017.png

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
The food of the 70’s was the real horror. Casseroles from cream of mushroom soup…marketing at least gave us Wednesday as Prince Spaghetti day so us kids got a break

notmyusualuserid

Poster Extraordinaire
Ya know what was beautiful? Hitch hiking was common and safe. We hitched everywhere when we were kids, it was great. Hollywood wrecked it with all those stupid horror movies about pervs and psychos. It's hard to believe now, but we thought it was normal to travel this way. I always picked up hitchers, you meet all types, it was interesting.
It seems there were a lot of serial killers in 70s America picking off hitchers.

So not that safe.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
My parents had a 1972 green Ford Grand Torino station wagon. Learned to drive on that car. It was like driving an air craft carrier. Must have weighed a couple of tons. Must have started rusting out a few tears after they bought it, even with them buying the rust proofing. Me and my one sister were always the ones who sat in that back area facing traffic behind us. No safety belts, no nothing.

Last edited:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Because the prediction was for so much white paint to be available in the '90s and beyond...to cover the golds and greens.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Mrs S and I didn't have wrinkles in the 70s so some things were better looking.

Having said that wrinkles are the lines of our lives and very many of them have been very good indeed, but given our vintage we are now both orphans

rsclosson

Tele-Afflicted
Living through the '60s, one of the worst way you could someone was "plastic." I think it meant that they were artificial or something like that. Then the 70s came and suddenly everything was plastic.

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
People could take a joke in the '70s.
And things seemed more fun in the 70's

No chain stores everywhere and there seemed to be more variety, more individuality. Not everyone could order the same thing on Amazon and have it the next day.

Even the popular movies,(how many Batman, Spiderman, Starwars, fast & furious movies do we really need) there were no movie franchises and very few re makes of movies. And most are very predictable. People actually came up with new ideas. Ideas that are re done over and over today.
Then there's computer generated movies and cartoons. Pixar is amazing, but........... Digital movies don't excite me.

You had to tune your guitar by ear to a piano or tuning fork or another guitar etc. And, in my case,(I didn't take lessons) if you wanted to learn a song you had to do that by ear as well, no you tube.

2old-2rock

TDPRI Member
I grew up in the 70's and I remember everything had to be "earth tones" and nature colors. Avacado green, Chocolate brown, and Harvest gold were the in color for fixtures and appliances. Dark simulated woodgrain paneling was "cozy" and shaggy golden-brown frieze carpet was "plush." We had a sofa with a fall-leaves print that was "modern." Not to mention the polyester leisure suits, flared-leg jeans, etc.

Then the '80's came. 'Nuff said...

Now the '50's are coming back.