1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

People Who Gave Up TV.......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Jan 1, 2021.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

No conventional television here for over 10 years.

In Ireland they still have a 'TV licence' to fund RTE (the Irish television/radio)...but the content isn't great, and they still have adverts.
    Maybe in the 1960s and 70s network television was a luxury, but it isn't now. When I was a kid in Canada everyone watched Ed Sullivan or Gunsmoke or whatever...and were grateful. Times have changed.

But, yes....we do take advantage of what is available online. YouTube, Netflix, etc...
    We can choose what to watch.

Milspec likes this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like news and sports, so that ties me to live TV. And at any given time we usually have one or two shows we are watching. And the occasional movie. It all adds up to 1 or 2 hours a day. It’s too much. I would prefer to spend some of that time playing guitar instead, but then my wife feels abandoned.

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At my house, TV is an online experience. We cut the cord 6 years ago.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Gave up TV here would be no conventional TV with cable service or antenna. No time spent watching popular pundits, and I'd be dead if I had to know shows or series that are current or popular.

I still get local news via web, and some shows via the family's Netflix, Hulu and Apple accounts. For context, I'm into season two of Schitt's Creek.

That said I'm very up on news. I have news subscriptions and use the library's digital content system, Apple News+ and Amazon Prime. I spend a lot of time each day reading some of the better news journals and papers out there.

We have a 40ish inch TV in one room with AppleTV and a Roku but most of my consumption is my phone, desktop computer or an iPad.

5. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

No TV for me, nor has there been for the last 3.5 years. Even before that I was watching less and less. Even on shows that I was watching it was discovered I wasn’t really paying attention. My ex-wife would come in and ask why I was watching such-and-such a re-run that I have seen, and I would reply that I haven’t seen it. She would tell me what happened and be right, but I had no idea.

When I moved to non-English speaking countries the need for a TV decreased greatly for obvious reasons.

These days I find that anything I might want is usually available in one form or another on the internet, especially with VPN capabilities which allows me to watch the little amount of live television I may want.

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Any of them, right after saying we opted not to have children.

7. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I hear that. I've pretty much been the same way.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    El Marin likes this.
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

The internet may be worse, but it depends how you use it. It's participitory. TV is just intake.
    Full disclosure: I'm not that smart and I watch shows with my wife some times on her laptop.
    Over the years I've gone through periods of regular TV watching, and long phases of no TV at all.

When I watch TV regularly, I'm dumber.

However smart anyone may be, if they watch TV, I believe they're dumber than they would be if they didn't watch it.

Especially with ads. The ads sound offensively stupid, but I'm sure it's by design. They wouldn't spend so much on them if they didn't work.

Regular intake of ads and low quality programming normalizes stupidity. It's like hanging out with dumb people all day. It's going to lower your standards.

Rocky058, kingofdogs1950 and boneyguy like this.
  9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

No TV here for 30 years. Don't want it, don't miss it. In one way or another, everything is a commercial.

1955 and boneyguy like this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

We all have the ability to select our own entertainment.

TV is not entertaining for me like it was when I was a kid.

If TV is your thing--that's fine with me.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Men are often portrayed in ads as inept, over-age children. Women are either Stepford Wives or sex objects. I think these stereotypes are designed to appeal to the opposite gender in the viewing demographic.

Rocky058 likes this.
  12. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

you could check out fender's website on tor browser or with a vpn. there's a lot you can do.

13. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks man

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you. When the TV busted in '62 and my parents decided their young kids might be better without, the shows I missed weren't intrinsically all that great I suppose. I caught a LOT of flack from my friends and classmates, tho.

But consuming a lot of scripted TV really does change the way a human brain operates. I see a lot of people whose ability to reason never really developed - and even some where it existed once, now their brains are basically chicken fried. They will never be "normal" in the way people were 400 years ago. Have you ever considered, that the more "excellent" TV is, the more dangerous it is?

1955 likes this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I steer clear of any scripted dramas, soapys, serials, movies, etc.....blerk...

lots more options for viewing now....

16. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I was never a TV person. Sure, I've watched movies and sports, but I actually like listening to baseball and college basketball on the radio.

We always had a TV while my wife was alive for her to watch but when she passed 6 years ago the tv was gone a month or so after. It was like 6 months old and a family member needed one.

I honestly never considered the tv vs internet thing. Glad Al Gore invented the 'net though.
    :)

17. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

I couldn't live without a TV.
    I use a streaming device though, so I'm the sole master of what I choose to watch.
    I gave up cable subcription one year ago.

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I've done it a couple times. I lived for a while in rural Iowa where there was no good signal and we couldn't get or couldn't afford cable.

A friend of mine was doing news on one of the local channel news broadcasts. When he asked if I watched his broadcast I had a hard time explaining that I owned a TV but couldn't actually watch anything.

A few years later my very old TV died. It had zero value and I eventually gave it to a friend of a friend for parts.

We went for maybe a year or more without owning a TV. I've still got the TV that I bought in 1988 to replace the one that died.

These days I own a TV, pay for cable, and record some music and a few news shows, plus one particular sitcom and one guilty pleasure.

Other than that I spend too much time on the internet. Which might be as bad as or even worse than watching TV.

19. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

No TV since 1987, except for hotels and visiting friends. We go for years without watching anything, then watch for 10 minutes and see the exact same shows and ads we saw 10 years ago - kind of bizarre.

We do stream the nightly news and enjoy series on Amazon Prime. It just fits better into our lifestyle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.