People who drive to get their morning coffee

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I've worked at a couple of coffee shops - one chain (not the one I am referring to above) and the other a small independent shop.

In all cases it's a crash course in sociology. Plus getting to be the whipping post/saviour and every in between variation thereof several times in the span of minutes is character building.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Tylenol every morning and my liver would start talking to me, "You're DOOMED!"

This, seriously. Read the warnings.

A friends wife OD'd and died. She had Lupus and took it all the time.

Anyone who has a doctor and uses OTC meds/ herbs/ supplements/ vitamins needs to talk with their Doctor about how all the stuff they swallow works with their specific physical health and body.

The writing on the box cannot include the individuals health problems or calculate interactions with other meds/ supplements they take.
For example if you take one of the common codeine pain meds for a one time injury or surgery, the opiate is not as dangerous as the tylenol in the prescription, while civilians tend to assume it's the opiate that they need to worry about.
IF you decide to take some tylenol on top of the prescription pain killer that commonly includes tylenol.

Misuse of most safe things can become hazardous or even deadly, due to misuse.
Regular use of meds just requires consulting a Dcotor, since we don't know why we are in pain without a diagnosis, right?
A friend with arthritis ended up diagnosed late with stage four lymphatic cancer because he assumed the ongoing pain was just his joints.
It wasn't tylenol that killed him, it was not talking to his Doctor regularly about his conditions.

Of course we don't all have the luxury of health car, but just sayin'.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My days start with excellent or best possible coffee. Our dog might wish to move in with @getbent knowing dog food is first.

I don't enjoy the ritual part as much as some. We just grind good beans and use #4 filters whether that's an electric drip machine or a cone when camping or traveling.

For that 142 miles off road bike ride I posted about earlier in the year - if it was just mental, I ground and carried good coffee with.

We have a relatively new neighbor where it's obvious they drive out for about everything including coffee. I kept my mouth shut when the woman wondered why she's overweight and nothing is helping. The husband has lost some weight with his getting out to exercise but someone needs to do an intervention for the whole family because you can see the lifestyle is already impacting their kids.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't imagine going out for my morning coffee. The first thing I do after I have coffee in the morning is run for the bathroom. If I went out, I might not get home in time. And you know what happens if you walk into a Starbucks and ask to use the bathroom.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
On my planet, fresh ground always tastes better than ground coffee that been sitting around for an indeterminate time. Very noticeable. Properly cooled and reheated, no deterioration.

Here in my dimension, fresh ground indeed tastes better, but microwaving coffee makes it all taste like folger's instant.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Every morning at home. French Press. Paying $4-$6 at Starbucks is silly.

iipsrv.fcgi

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Every morning, every coffee spot in town is backed up with cars in the drive through.
Do these people drink coffee prior to driving to get coffee? How can you leave the house without coffee?
I can't even wait for my coffee maker to make me coffee, I pour the remaining coffee into my mug the night before and stick it in the microwave. That way the next morning I start the microwave and after I plug in the coffee maker and take a pee, I have a hot cup of coffee and a second one ready in the coffee maker when I'm done with the first. I'm moaning and groaning like I'm dying up until the point where I sit in my basement, light up a cigarette and drink my coffee. I can't imagine driving or dealing with people before that.

Always make my own. Italian Roast > Percolator. What I don't get is the insane line at my local Dutch Bro's. It's not even coffee! It's coffee-flavored sugar water. The worst s^&t I've ever tasted.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
On the rare occasion I've had my first cup of coffee of the day at a coffee shop its either been when I'm on the road or if I overslept and the real estate agent is on the way to show my house.

Otherwise its Gevalia Columbian with a pour over, all prepped the night before. But I guess I understand its probably a social ritual with some. Back in Florida when I lived in a 55+ geezer compound a lot of the locals would drive their golf carts up to the local Dunkin Donuts. I don't know if its the first thing they did since I'm not sure what time DD opens and most of these folks are up at 4am.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
When I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is feed the cat. While she is eating I start a pot of coffee and head into my office, turn on the computer and CNBC, and start my daily market research. I grab a cup of coffee, and when I finish I head for the shower. After the shower, I'm out the door to buy another cup of coffee. I may take the car, or I might ride my bike.

Why do I leave the house for coffee when there is a fresh pot of coffee at home? I guess it started more than 45 years ago when I was working as a booking agent. Our office hours were a little unusual because of the nature of our business. I would generally start work at around 11 AM and stay in the office until 5 or so, and of course my nights were spent at concerts or night clubs, often until 2 AM or later. Anyway, back in those days I began a routine of going out for coffee or breakfast before heading to the office. I continued to do it through two career changes, working either in an office or out of the house as I do now. I don't feel ready to work until I get out of the house, go for coffee, and come back home. It makes it seem as if I am going into the office, I guess.

Yes, I drive for coffee, and yes, I often go to Starbucks. It might not be acceptable to some people to drink Starbucks, but I have made enough money on their stock to pay for coffee for 20 years or more. I guess they deserve to get some of that money back. Two things I will not do, though: I will never use the drive-through at Starbucks (or at any other fast food place), and I don't drink coffee while driving.

Last edited:

Jim W

Friend of Leo's
With the cost of some of those fancy coffee options, don't complain about the price of gasoline!

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I can't believe people pay $5+ a cup for the sludge that some places call coffee. For about a $200 investment, one can make truly world class pour over coffee for cents a cup.

BCC72821-970D-4354-AB05-98BC4F62901D_1_105_c.jpeg

vintagelove

Tele-Meister
Buying a commercial Bunn coffee machine was one of the better things I've done for myself.

If you love coffee, it's the way to go.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one cup of very good, very dark and very strong coffee every morning, dripped at home, black, neat. It's very rare I get coffee outside the house. Only at restaurants for breakfast, and the very occasional cafe/roaster/barista for a treat. And it must be good coffee. No starcruds, etc... And black. Rarely I'll get a mocha. But that's for treat only.

Most places make it too weak. Period.

I will wait in line for a cold brew at a Dutch Bros. That's it.

That's all I got. Sorry. No world ending stories for me if I don't have a cup. I just refuse to wait in line for expensive, watered down crap. I don't get why people do. It's a mystery to me.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Okay, I know I'm painting with a broad brush. But the coffee lines IMHO are made up of people who can't get up 15 minutes earlier in the morning. Like the colleagues at work who showed up, without fail, 7 minutes late every day.

Nope. I'm definitely the latter, but certainly not the former. I refuse the daily chain store cup-o-ccino ritual. I don't get that crowd at all.

I look it at it this way. Every $6 coffee monstrosity I don't buy is $6 I could spend on something fun, like music gear.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
i cant believe people drink coffee at all.

i get like, oh it 1642, boiled bean water is something more interesting than regular water....but its 2021...we have stuff that just taste actually good. TEA is better. SODA is better

why are people still drinking coffee?

Why are people still eating and having sex? I mean, we have video games now.