People that sit at rock concerts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mightyaxeman, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JHall55

JHall55 Tele-Meister

I'm very tall, with wide shoulders. In some venues, the seats are sloped enough I can see well enough if I stay sitting, even if the person in front of me is standing (though I won't comment on the lack of leg room).

Club shows are different. If there's no seats and you want to be close to the stage, get there early. If you can't see over me, tough luck (unless you're in a wheelchair, I will gladly let him/her in front of me). I rather enjoy the 3 or 4 feet of empty space behind at those shows, it keeps the temperature down a little.

2. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

There is no sitting in metal!

3. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Of course they are. If you stand up in front of somebody, you're giving them a choice: Stand up and hope you can see the band, or remain seated and stare at your back. Nobody's buying a ticket to stare at your back, so when you stand, you're dictating that the people behind you stand.

If you went to a movie and the people in front of you stood the whole time, would you just say "Oh, they're just enjoying the show -- I don't have any right to tell them to sit down"?

If you have to stand, find a way to do it without bothering anyone else. Go stand in the back so no one's behind you, or stand in the aisle, far enough back that you're not blocking anyone's view.

4. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

There will always be people who only consider their own enjoyment. I would expect crowds who are at Metal concerts to stand. I understand standing during special moments at any concert. We used to call it a standing ovation. I go to SEE and Hear bands at venues. I have always liked to watch a musician play almost as much as I like to hear the same.

I am getting old, but I have always been this way. If I want to hear music a good stereo sounds way better than a rock band in concert.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to work at the Pacific Coliseum, doing concert security. I remember one conversation with a patron during a concert. People were not allowed to stand on the seats - it's dangerous, and they damage the seats. There was a very short woman standing on her seat. I asked her to get down.

She said, "But I can't see over the people in front of me."
    I said, "Then you shouldn't have bought a floor ticket."

Really, people, if you don't want people standing in front of you, buy a ticket in the upper seats off to the side of the stage. My wife and I haven't been to an arena show in a while, but we used to go to a lot and when we did, we made sure to get the front row of the second section. Nothing between us and the band but a railing.

There are plenty of great concerts at smaller venues here that have balcony sections. We make sure to get seats in the front row of the balcony. Nothing between us and the band but a railing.

Complaining about people standing is like complaining about traffic at rush hour. Just accept it, or take a different route. You know what's going to happen, so accept, adjust or plan ahead.

6. Big John

Big John RIP

AHA !!! Thanks GP :)

7. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

It all depends on the concert. Sure for Turandot it makes sense to sit down, but for a Metallica concert, good luck in getting people to settle down. Some bands evolve and the once crazy Stones concerts now seem to have a lot of grandparents in the audience who are pretty still when I saw their last tour on tv. It will be interesting to see them on next tour. They are going to be one of the few representatives of the old fogeys club along with the Beach Boys. Those bands have an expanding demographic with an average age getting older every time they hit the stage.

8. logan2z

logan2z Tele-Holic

+1

My wife and I recently saw Radiohead in San Jose, CA and the place reeked from smoke (cigarette and 'other'). Of course there is no smoking inside the arena but I suppose that's difficult to enforce at a show like this. It ruined the show for my wife (she has asthma). As far people standing, we were lucky that the people in front of us were pretty drunk before the show even started, so they couldn't have stood for long if they wanted to.

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

If you insist on standing when no one else is, make sure when you yell "Freebird" you do it loud enough for the band to hear you.

10. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Man, I'm 6'6" 245lbs. and wear a size 48 jacket,,, I think it is rude to stand in front of folk's. However I do wish they could have a section('s) for those of us whom enjoy sitting down to enjoy the show..... Perhaps do an Orchestral pit set up for those who want (Too Stand/Pit) Popcorn tossed on there heads.. :)

11. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Venues will soon install the Recliner/Toilet/Entertainment System from the film Idoicracy.

They'll add lap belts and harnesses so you can be strapped in to fully enjoy the concert experience.

[​IMG]

12. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

You apparently didn't read my whole post where I also said:
    And you can't compare a rock concert with a movie, they are completely different things.

This.

13. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Man, we is a bunch o' geezers, ain't we?:lol:

14. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Who are you calling "we," old-timer? :D

15. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

You made your point....and made your point....and made your point.....ad nauseum. Is it because no one's listening?

16. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I wish these two would sit down, my bunions are killin' me.

Attached Files:

17. Big John

Big John RIP

Get off my lawn young paso !! :)

18. leftyfrank

leftyfrank TDPRI Member

Great posting by all! I seem to just get in trouble whatever big concert I go to. Went to see Dylan in Boston a few years back, sittin' in a "up" seat with my wife and another couple. A 20's something couple were smoking the ganja and dancing up a storm (for Dylan?) I told them after about 3 songs to sit down and was basically told to go "f--- off". I called over an usher and was told there was nothin' he could do!
    The next summer went to see John Hiatt and Shaun Colvin "solo show) in Cape Cod and had to yell at a older couple (in their 50's) behind us who were yaking away like they were standin in line to get into "Antiques Roadshow". The guy whined at me "but he was just talking" but did shut up. At today's ticket prices I value my musical experiences cause they don't come that often.

19. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

"Knock of all that clapping and cheering, it's making my hearing aid feedback."

20. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I've been to two shows at the Louisville Palace:

Tom Waits- sit down.
    White Stripes - stand up.

I think the type of music dictates (or should dictate) audience behavior.

Sometimes it's about more than you, your ticket,and the band. Quite often it's the interplay and tension between band and audience that creates the real show. At a rock show you can't get that if everyone is calmly seated.

I guess there are concert DVDs for those who wish to see a show rather than experience it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.