People must really be into relics...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Grux, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

At that price, it must be one of the "gold nugget" special run where they hid a gold nugget under the bridge of each guitar before relicing.... :)

Don't want to start anything but, I can see the attraction of a guitar that gets so much love that after years of playing, it looks like it has "lived". I don't see the attraction of hurting a nice guitar to make it have a "relic" look, and then hiding it away because it was so expensive... Sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings about that.

willyb, Grux, Piggy Stu and 1 other person like this.
  3. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

That's the beauty of E-bay---buy a $100 guitar, beat it to death, and some idiot will pay $400 for it!

Obsessed and Grux like this.
  4. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I was in a music store back when John Entwhistle was playing thunderbird basses that caused a spike in the value,
    the younger guy asks the guy with lots of experience
    " "what are these worth?
    older guy says "what the market while bear, I wouldn't have one of the damned things."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Grux likes this.
  5. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

Boggles the mind. We have a listing on our local buy/sell with an affinity strat for $500cad. While not reliced, it has been upgraded with a bone nut, whizzbang pickups and other odds and ends. All well and good but $500?!?

Grux likes this.
  6. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

Supply and demand... Some people want a nicely relic'd guitar but don't want to pay £1,000+ for a Fender Custom Shop.

I would also prefer a real relic (vintage) guitar but again, price is prohibitive so many people will pay over the odds to get the look if they don't want to do it themselves.

7. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Yeah, I mean I get it...but a bullet at 4x the value is stupid lol. It'd be a little different if everything was changed to American Hardware, Vintage spec'ed and all that but it wasn't.

the_lyall likes this.
  8. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

A true relic has earned it's battle scars over years of faithful service---this old girl is 43 years old. The headstock has been broken and repaired twice, but the paint isn't worn off?[​IMG]

Grux likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.