Pending eyesore

Verne Bunsen

Tele-Afflicted
I hear ya. I love having electricity in the house, because air conditioning and guitar amplifiers, but I do wish the view from the back yard weren't sullied...

Photo%20Jun%2009%2C%2010%2044%2049%20AM%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
BTW, we have underground wiring in my area. Here on the hill there are 16 houses. Installation was in 1998.
-The wiring has failed at least 6 times underground in that time. More like every other year. One year twice.
-It takes a while to fix, they come to look it over.
-They have to bring a special crew with a truck and device to find the burn out. It's pretty interesting really, they push a huge load in the wire from the truck and take measurements that tell them how far up the road from the big box the break is.
-Then they have to arrange a ground crew up to dig it up. It's usually 1-2 days without power.

Reasons are unknown, heat? Ground movement and stress?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Where my brother lives in Northern California they make the cell towers look like trees (from a distance). Maybe they could do something similar. Maybe put a phony palm tops on them? Then it would just be strange looking wires between them.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Where my brother lives in Northern California they make the cell towers look like trees (from a distance). Maybe they could do something similar. Maybe put a phony palm tops on them? Then it would just be strange looking wires between them.

They do that here in MD too, some of them are kind of convincing and hardly noticeable
One of my coworkers pointed one out and it kind of surprised me, of course now I can spot them but had he never shown me I probably wouldn’t know the difference

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
The one attached to the boom truck is a new one being put up today. The other one is an old wooden one
I’ll get a better shot of a new one
Yes, they both are ugly. The new ones are uglier, bigger, and disrupt my view even more
o.k. I see your point but if you live in the gas powered flat lands .... going out side is the wrong place to look for beauty, smoggy sky , no birds, urban canyons, nasty urban smells?
I mean outside in the outback, the sierras, out on the coast yeah sure, up north in the trinity alps beautiful no doub If I had never lived out side of the suburban/urban disaster areas I wouldn't know or feel or notice , I used to walk along under the power lines and listen to the droned they make, it was so quiet, yeah well maybe I need a nap.
pinky   5.jpg

kingofdogs1950

Tele-Afflicted
Humm... Not meaning to be a contrarian, but I like phone poles and overhead wiring.
Not so much now, but back in the day great fun was had hunting rats on the overhead wires and drinking beer.
I had an HW70 and a FWB124, high quality air guns. My brothers in law who lived on the next block used a .22 and occasionally a deer rifle, .30-06 I think. The coppers in the area didn't pay us any mind. There were plenty of people in the area killing each other and the cops stayed busy.
It was a old grid and we had brown outs all the time. We were careful to hit the rats, not the wires.

M

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
ping-ping-clicks I don’t live where you are describing. I live on a beautiful piece of this earth and have what many call a “million dollar view”. It’s really quite spectacular even with the freaking poles and wires messing up my view
In the the last 19 years we have owned this house I have lost some of my view of the sea and Buck Island to mahogany trees growing. I don’t mind this because it’s nature long before we bought
Long story short I hate utility poles. They blow down, they sometimes catch vehicles, and they are just plain ugly. End of discussion

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
@stxrus Are they going to take down the old poles? Or leave them up as a double eyesore?

I've got to admit a row of lonely power poles running down a desert road can look... Well "beautiful" isn't the right word, but like they are part of the character of the picture... Other than that they're pretty much just plain ugly.

demon

Tele-Holic
@stxrus
I've got to admit a row of lonely power poles running down a desert road can look... Well "beautiful" isn't the right word, but like they are part of the character of the picture... Other than that they're pretty much just plain ugly.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but for me the utility pylons and cables are part of the view, and the big distribution lines have their own grandeur. Beauty might be stretching the description, but powerful; dramatic; elegant even.

I grew up in a somewhat rural place but even the hills were an environment managed and designed by man; not a pristine, natural landscape. Maybe it says more about me as an engineer than anything, but it's just one more thing that we've built into that landscape. I would miss them aesthetically if they were gone.

transmission-elp-2.png

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
@stxrus Are they going to take down the old poles? Or leave them up as a double eyesore?
Hopefully they will be removed but there are still double poles standing in many areas. Part of the problem is that the local cable/landline company hasn’t moved their cables from the old poles in many instances. If it were up to me I’d start chainsawing the double poles but that’s not legal

I know I should start getting ready for storm season and not worry about about eyesore poles but......