Pedals

jdolecek49

TDPRI Member
I’m getting ready to buy a new Marshall dsl amp and in the past I have used modeling amps with effects built in so I need to start with individual pedals and I don’t have any shops near me to try out…so I’m so new to buying individual pedals so not sure what to get….I need a phase90 octave, chorus just to name a few, but when I look at other peoples pedal boards they have all different brands so how do you decide on which brand to get with out trying out 500 pedals and since everyone has different setups how do you choose???? I have considered a multieffectpedal, would that be the best way to go?? What do you think????Can you please gift me with tips and suggestions?? What do you think would be best for me??

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
The only real way to tell if a pedal is gonna work for you is to try it out yourself, in your own rig. Anything else is just a guess. You can watch YouTube demos to make it an educated guess, but you still won't really know until you put it through its paces yourself. Dirt pedals especially are really rig-dependent. Lots of guys love TS style pedals, I can't stand them. That doesn't make them bad, it just means they're not for me.

The two best ways to test pedals:

-Find a guitar shop, test them out.
-Take a flyer and just buy them. If you get one you don't like, return or flip on Craigslist/Reverb. I flipped at least 20 fuzz pedals while I was on my obsessive search for the perfect Fuzz Face, and I'll probably never be really done.

Also, I NEVER buy new pedals, except for cheap Chinese clones or super blowout sales.

radtz

Tele-Holic
I've been doing the same type of thing. If you don't have a preference on a particular pedal brand/model, you can't go wrong with trying the $30 pedals on Amazon. If you hate them you can return them. I've had good luck with Koogo (phaser and flanger) and Donner (digital delay). I like the small size of the mini pedals. You'll need to get a power supply to feed them. If nothing else, it s cheap starting point.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Buy second hand and try stuff out that way. Experiment with pedal placement. I like the small pedals because of their footprint - this is my current rig.

F62676BB-03C4-4EA8-9ACE-0065900FBB85.jpeg

I’ve gone through a few pedals to get to here though. It’s just trial and error. I can recommend the MXR Phase Mini though, if you need a phaser it’s excellent.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
@jdolecek49 I happen to love the cheap Donner pedals found on Amazon (and their own website). They are generally clones of famous pedals and are great for home use. I also have a “boutique” pedalboard for my basement, but my living room has a chain of 8 Donner pedals that fulfills my needs. (Why spend $200+ for a tool when a $35 one gets the job done?)

So why do I have a boutique pedalboard? FOMO from reading all the posts in this forum. :D (But seriously they are built to last. That’s the big difference. Donners are built to be disposable, but none have failed me yet)

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Buy second hand and try stuff out that way. Experiment with pedal placement. I like the small pedals because of their footprint - this is my current rig.

View attachment 923609

I’ve gone through a few pedals to get to here though. It’s just trial and error. I can recommend the MXR Phase Mini though, if you need a phaser it’s excellent.

A klone into a klone...interesting!

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
A klone into a klone...interesting!

ha, I had an MXR Timmy in place of the Sugar Drive and I just couldn’t get on with it. I tend to use the amp past breakup but the sugar Drive gives me just that little bit more saturation should I need high gain rhythm, then the Tumnus for soloing. The Sugar Drive pushes the Tumnus nicely should I ever need that OTT gain.

I should probably experiment with using the Sugar Drive as a boost to see what tones I get out of that….

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
ha, I had an MXR Timmy in place of the Sugar Drive and I just couldn’t get on with it. I tend to use the amp past breakup but the sugar Drive gives me just that little bit more saturation should I need high gain rhythm, then the Tumnus for soloing. The Sugar Drive pushes the Tumnus nicely should I ever need that OTT gain.

I should probably experiment with using the Sugar Drive as a boost to see what tones I get out of that….

I’ve really become a fan of the two boost setup. I have a compressor working as a boost with the comp set almost at zero, and an OCD acting as a boost with the gain set almost zero. Gives me what I need.

Klones work great in that fashion. And honestly, I’ve had probably 6-7 Klones at this point, and they do all sound slightly different (likely based on different examples of Klons, which reportedly all sounded slightly different).

So, I don’t think I’ve seen that setup, but I could see that working well.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I do have a box full of pedals and one board currently populated with this month's favorites, but overall I have been using a BOSS GT1000 as my "pedalboard" as it offers much more versatility in a smaller package. I also have a Mesa/Boogie MIDI switcher that allows me to control channel switching on the amps from the BOSS, and I have preset banks programmed in to work specifically with my various amps.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Start with the classics. Boss, EHX, MXR. I love the Phase 95 as you get 4 in one and they all sound great. EHX Neo Clone is a fantastic chorus. You can’t go wrong with Boss period. There are also a ton of small builders on Reverb and elsewhere. The Golden Axe by Berch audio is one of the finest ODs I’ve ever played. Find local or go classic. Either way welcome to the hunt!
B34D2180-843B-424D-9762-B4549A03D181.png

Last edited:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
how do you choose????

I have three boards and a multiFX. I spent hours asking questions, gathering opinions and watching video reviews...then searched out best price. I have ton of pedals, not because they were really needed, but because I became a bit enamored with what this one could/might do.
Be carefulo_O, lest you fall into that rabbit hole. My big plan is to start trading some I do not use or use less for other gear (but that has a built in $ loss).

In any event, try as many as you can and be circumspect about your purchases...noting I hit a point where I made several quickdraw purchases and saw my "great pedal" return rate rapidly drop off---understand what/why you are purchasing.

Phase 95 as you get 4 in one

If I were to name four pedals I own that I like and would replace were they to die, they would be the Nux Horseman OD (has gold and silver clone tones), the Phase 95 (great pedal), the MXR Carbon Copy delay, and the Wampler Reflection (reverb). A fifth and a bit different pedal is the Joyo American that brings many Fender-esque tones and also acts as an OD...fun.

I NEVER buy new pedals, except for cheap Chinese clones or super blowout sales.

I pretty much adhere to this as well, based upon my previous research. There have been a few exceptions. it means making my research coincide with big sales (or sale periods) or planning ahead.

Donner offers several different three effect (mFX?) builds that would get you started with pedals on the cheap. I have the Alpha Cruncher (distortion, delay, chorus) that I think is excellent, and is about the only pedal I use on my Blackstar HT40. AND, I just ordered their Alpha FX (modulation, delay and reverb) for another project. One of those might be a good start for you to mess around with as a "let's see what I like".

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Go on the youtube channel '60 cycle hum' and search for 'affordaboard'.

There are so many good pedals for under $25 that you can fill most needs. Where you really want a store that has a $250 pedal to try in person, many people will take a risk on ordering a $25 pedal. You could try out ten pedals for the price of that 'boutique' one.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's

Go on the youtube channel '60 cycle hum' and search for 'affordaboard'.

There are so many good pedals for under $25 that you can fill most needs. Where you really want a store that has a $250 pedal to try in person, many people will take a risk on ordering a $25 pedal. You could try out ten pedals for the price of that 'boutique' one.

You also risk buying a collection of paperweights. Donner sent me two ‘Deluxe Tuners’ that were crap on delivery; neither works.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
You also risk buying a collection of paperweights. Donner sent me two ‘Deluxe Tuners’ that were crap on delivery; neither works.
I just did a count of my Donner pedals. I have sixteen of them (didn’t include my Mooer pedals that are all a-ok) and none have failed me.

One has a wobbly knob shaft (my Jet Convolution), but it functions just fine.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but it’s not universal.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
I just did a count of my Donner pedals. I have sixteen of them (didn’t include my Mooer pedals that are all a-ok) and none have failed me.

One has a wobbly knob shaft (my Jet Convolution), but it functions just fine.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but it’s not universal.
I use my pedals for gigs and jamming. These crap cheap pedals have a lifespan, especially the cheap DPDT switches. I’ll never be able to fix that and I’m tired of my electronics environmental waste record. Why buy something that will eventually rot in landfill? Fool me once….

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
I’m getting ready to buy a new Marshall dsl amp and in the past I have used modeling amps with effects built in so I need to start with individual pedals and I don’t have any shops near me to try out…so I’m so new to buying individual pedals so not sure what to get….I need a phase90 octave, chorus just to name a few, but when I look at other peoples pedal boards they have all different brands so how do you decide on which brand to get with out trying out 500 pedals and since everyone has different setups how do you choose???? I have considered a multieffectpedal, would that be the best way to go?? What do you think????Can you please gift me with tips and suggestions?? What do you think would be best for me??
If you go with Boss you'll get reasonably priced good sounding pedals that are sturdy and last a lifetime. And because they've made so many of 'em for so many years, there are plenty of them out there on the used market.

To start with check out these:

The Boss PH-2 or PH-3 are very versatile and good sounding phaser pedals
Boss OC-2, OC-3 or OC-5 Ocatve pedal
Boss CH-1 or CE-3 Chorus

BTW, the Marshall DSL is a great choice for a versatile amp. I gigged with a DSL-40 combo for about 20 years without any problems. 2 channels, reverb and has the signature Marshall sound.

Last edited:

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Maybe look for lists of classic pedals, such as a Tube Screamer or Fuzz Face. Then for the classics that interest you, look for the best inexpensive clones.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's a very individual thing.
But generally Boss pedals will do you pretty well. They are most all acceptable. OD, Delay, Chorus etc

With an Ibanez TS9DX you can get 3 Tube Screamers in one. It's my favorite OD, although I only use one mode. It has stayed on the board for 15 years and nothing has knocked it off.
With a Donner Alchemy, or this: (same pedal) You get 8 Modulation effects cheap, all good.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
I agree with others that Boss is generally a pretty good place to start.

That said, they are pretty bland. If you want the best chorus, or the best wah, or the best _____, you have to read some reviews, hunt around, try some different pedals. It's a process. When reading reviews or watching youtube, it's important to consider your rig - if you are playing a Tele and a Marshall DSL and I am playing an SG into a Supro, we may have very different impressions of a pedal.

BTW by "best" I mean best for you, which is what makes the "best" difficult to track down. What is perfect for me may may not work for you at all.