Pedals you couldn't wait to get, then couldn't wait to get rid of?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Mar 29, 2013.

1. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

Elite Tone Fillmore Thunder Fuzz. I thought this would be the best fuzz ever - the videos of it were awesome, but it didn't last any longer than a week with me. It was too subtle and I could only hear it if it was cranked up all the way. I guess I expected something a bit more radical. I couldn't bond with it.

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Line 6 Dr Distorto.

What I was looking for was a cheap pedal that would give me instantly controllable feedback.

Nope.

I messed with it for about ten minutes, chunked it into the big junk box with a zillion other pedals.

at least I only paid 20 bucks for it.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

OCD is over-priced in my opinion, so is most of the Fulltone stuff. They're nice but they arent all that much better than a bunch of bargain pedals.

Somebody was mentioning the Nobels overdrive... I'm not using it right now, but boy howdy that thing sounded VERY GOOD with my old Peavey Classic 30.

Just my opinions. I'm at the point where my family is very keen on saving money.. I wont spend more than 75bucks on a pedal.

4. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

The Boss Compressor Sustainer is very misleading in it's name. It does not sustain a note at all. I didn't learn that until I laid out the cash and bought one. It went bye-bye.
    My other disappointment was/is my Crybaby Wah. I remember one gig in particular when I started to use it again after storing it for several years. Yikes, that was the definition of tone suck.
    I'm surprised to hear about the ocd being mentioned here. I use mine together with a Fulltone Fatboost and get some real creamy overdrive.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

I had an older one, the model with a circuit board inside it. If there was ever a pedal that vampired tone, it was that one.

I often wonder about what guys like Hendrix, Beck and Page did in the olde daze before true bypass and all these pedals and things. Did the old wahs suck tone like that and did they just compensate by turning up the mids on their amps?

6. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Sure. The only person who hears tone suck is the player. Audience has no idea if your gear is having an off night.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

7. bwires

bwires Tele-Meister

ZVEX Box of Rock - Wanted to like it so much that I bought and sold it twice! Gave it a fair look with two different amps but could never bond with the sound.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And I benefited from this, thank you very much! :D It's often in my fuzz slot

9. rockmaster

rockmaster TDPRI Member

Big Muff, always thought I would love it, never could make it work for me.

10. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I've been thru about 4 Big Muffs, sold them all. I finally figured out that I like Germanium style FuzzFace's better.

11. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

+1

12. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Line 6 Pod :mad::mad:

13. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

I liked the Tech 21 Liverpool, but not as an overdrive pedal. To me, it's best use is as an amp simulator, plugged straight in to the PA. I put mine last in my pedal chain (although I really only used it as a backup because I have several really nice amps that I think sound better).

I like the OCD too, for certain sounds. It works pretty well with my amps.

The one pedal (I guess you could consider it that) I couldn't bond with was the Line 6 POD. No matter what guitar I played through it, they all sounded the same. I'd much rather play through a real amp.

14. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm in the same boat. Too much work for me.

15. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

Line 6 Echo Park (funny, I just complained about this in another post) - I eyed this pedal for a long time before I could justify it....and I didn't sell it right away, but spent over a year trying to bond with it but eventually had to admit that I hated the thing and went back to my digidelay instead (which has less features, but does them well).

16. Vomact

Vomact TDPRI Member

Big Muff. I could not get a good sound out of it twice in a row. I think it was haunted.
    Way Huge Sour Pickle. Wayyyyy to much low end and waaayyy to much gain.

The Pickle soured me on fuzz pedals for quite a while. I then discovered Skreddy and the P-19 and all has been well since.

17. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

OCDv4 : drowned me in the band mix, everytime I stepped on it at band practice.

Zendrive 1: tweaked and tweaked all the knobs and couldn't find a setting that was good for BOTH neck and bridge humbucker pickups; also too muddy for chording. My Jetter GSR has been easier to set-and-play. No more fiddling...

VS Double Trouble : "two much" (pun intended) of a good thing. Got muddy with both sides on. To my taste, one TS is enough for me; would rather pair it with something different sounding such as a RAT or VS Open Road.

18. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Catalinbread Harmonic Mezmerizer, Dirty Little Secret 2, and Paredolia. . .none of them did anything for me. . .SFT is great though. .

19. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

I almost forgot all about the OCD I owned until I noticed it mentioned a thousand times in this thread.

I got a great deal on it, and was stoked to pick it up before anyone else got to it. Then I brought it home, and was rather disappointed. Too fizzy for an OD, and not dirty enough for a distortion. I tried it through a Marshall and a Vox with Teles, Strats and LPs, but I couldn't get a usable tone out of it.

I put it back on Kijiji, but apparently everyone local already knew what I just found out because it sat for about a month before I ended up offloading it at the local music shop. I see them come up every now and again and I am half temped to try again... I had a V3, and I see so many on people's boards sometimes I think I MUST have missed something! But then I take a deep breath and come to my senses...

20. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

+1 I couldn't get along with mine either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.