Pedals Vs Multi Effect Question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by msmith886, Mar 19, 2016.

1. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

I have always been old school and a purist and snob about my pedals and like very nice bequitqe stuff. My band likes it for some stuff but wants me to be able to make more effects now all the sudden like fractal axe effect stuff.

I am very hesitant on any effect units for several reasons tone being the biggest but may try out a few.

What are yalls opinions as far as both of them and can it be something I can use both with and does anyone have any suggestions?

Line 6 m 13 looked cool again not sure and need help

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I had the XT Live pedal and upgraded to the HD500 about three years ago because it also had a looper. I may never have the bucks to spend on a real mutron, But can simulate with the Line6. I'd never own 6 wah pedals, but I can mess with 6 with very similar qualities. I got several different phasers, most I'd never knew exisited and a couple would never use. Its great to play with, fantastic for recording, but live I simple it down and will not use the amp sims, but will use it more as an effects unit. At the same time I started build a pedal board that was a little smaller but specific to use that makes me make sure I'm playing better, not just sounding fancier. I use effects as flavor enhancers, not as a substitute for meat and potatoes.

3. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

If you're coming from pedals, go for something with plenty of knobs so you can instantly change things without having to go into menus (see pics below). Obviously you will need to like the sounds too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

Do these effects your tone

5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Hopefully...

Jerry_Mountains, Frodebro and Ira7 like this.
  6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Who cares what it sounds like as long as you get to play with all those knobs?

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have found nothing to dislike about Boss ME50-80
    multi-effectors.
    I think they sound great, into any kind of amp.
    Intuitive to use, bulletproof, reasonably priced new, and usually less than 1/2 price used on CL.
    There's a zillion of them out there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  8. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

M13 or M9 will do what you need admirably, imo. The M13 is a lot more flexible and I think easier to use; though it is a good bit larger than the M9.
    While they're not Strymon quality, the effects are by and large quite good and very useable. You can integrate your existing pedals easily with either one, but again the M13 is the most flexible.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Maybe with your existing set-up, you make effect changes well enough to make it look simple to your band mates, but as you know, it takes time to find your sweet spots for each effect. So, instead of compromising on your already established tones, go back to your band and ask them for their top two or three additional effects. Then add a pedal or two and concentrate on finding their sweet spots. This way you'll be giving high quality across the spectrum.

10. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Fractal FX8.

11. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I use both onstage. I find the ME-80 works well with other pedals and is a handy little tool. I use it for modulation effects, as a tuner, as a boost, for swell effects, volume pedal, and wah pedal plus more. For overdrive and distortion the stomp pedals are definitely the better choice and I also use a Strymon Timeline and Big Sky for the pro level effects. I guess it works well because I have guitarists come up to the stage to see what I'm using.

12. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a ME-70 at home for convenience, but I prefer pedals for gigs for sound, ease of operation and reliability. I don't like relying on one piece of gear. If a multi-effect goes down (and I've had a Digitech 500 die suddenly for no apparent reason) you're pretty much screwed.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I use a Zoom G3 + Zoom CDR live but, I only use it for modulations. I still bring along my other overdrive effects.

14. andy__woods

andy__woods Tele-Afflicted

I've always wanted to try those mentioned above but have only used Line6 in terms of multi-effects. My only problem is I don't take full advantage of the extra effects and things, it just ends up looking like the same signal chain as my normal board! It is nice (as stated about wah pedals earlier) to have different options that you normally wouldn't own or try though

15. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I recently replaced most of my pedals with a Digitech RP360xp. I really haven't missed the pedals. It isn't noisey and doesn't seem to negatively affect my tone. I don't find the presets very useful but after spending some time with it I have it programed how I like it. I have been happy with the various fuzz, overdrive, wah, tremelo, vibe, reverb and phaser models that are available. It works reasonable well for recording direct into Garageband too.

16. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I have a Line6 HD300 and think it works great. I really like experimenting with the different sounds and it allowed me to try all sorts of effects in all different combinations in a way that would be VERY difficult with pedals. Having said that, I usually gig with pedals. All I use is a Rat and a chorus so the HD300 is not necessary, and I like the simplicity of only 2 pedals.

IMO a multieffects doesn't replace pedals, it complements them. It is great for experimenting and recording and while it will work in a live setting, I still prefer old fashioned pedals when on stage.

17. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Tele-Meister

I think individual pedals sound better in a lot of cases, but I do use a Boss ME-70 in a praise worship setting straight into the console with amp modeling and I am quite happy with it. Conversely I think the ME-70 doesn't sound nearly as good as my individual pedals do going into the front of any of my Fender tube amps. So I think there is a place for both.

18. gatorblue

gatorblue TDPRI Member

My opinion (after playing for 40 years---blues, rock and country) is that both analog and digital can be used if you use your head. for example, my board consists of 2 analog boxes (12 band EQ) and a Gristle King OD/distortion. But I also have a Zoom multi-effects box. There are many facts and many myths to using multi-effects. In my playing, I rely on my excellent tube amps and excellent guitars for my tone. I use minimal effects form the digital box---delay occasionally, tremelo occasionally, and I use the tuner and the volume pedal. But the good ones, like Zoom, have a clean by-pass. So, let's say I want a delay sound that is 20% wet and 80% dry.
    Well, the bypass on the 80% gives me a complete analog sound while the digital delay portion has gone thru the A-D-A conversion (analog in to digital to analog out). 80% is pure and 20% may have a very slight difference in tonal quality--but not as much with the recent boxes as before. I think the mistake most people make is getting these multi-effects boxes and stack on many effects (like some of the pre-sets). they play in the living room and think---wow, I sound great. Then they get with the band and they sound like **** because there is so much A-D-A conversion going on it comes out weak, thin and with no balls. Be smart and use effects minimally and you'll sound better.

And, by the way, my pedal board with 3 boxes can do everything I could do if I had 20 boxes--reverb, delay, OD, Dist, tuner, volume Pedal, Tremelo, Vibrato, Chorus, Fuzz tone, Metal, Tube Screamer, etc. You have to be realistic if you're a gigging musician. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't mix analog and digital boxes---Steve Vai does it and he's a genius when it comes to effects. Just be smart and use what you need on any given song---don't try to sound like you're in a space warp--play for real with soul. that's what really matters. ---- Gator

19. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I use a compliment of Wampler pedals and a Line6 M5 for the modulation and filters. Both analog and digital coexist nicely on my board. FWIW, I could never go completely digital, too icy. It does compliment my analog chain nicely, however.

20. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

The big advantage of the multi-effects for me is that they're programmable. I can instantly recall a huge variety of effect chains. When doing 3 or 4 sets of popular covers it's great to have the predicatability when you're also trying to sing and run the PA.
    Do they give me perfect tone? Probably not, but being asked to set up in a big bay window or on a hollow stage makes more of a difference sometimes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.