pedals that you're not supposed to like...but do

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nathanteal, Jul 26, 2014.

1. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

This is likely to be a less comprehensive list than the vice verses one...but...I'll start.

Fulltone GT-500...
    I've read almost nothing but melancholy to hateful on this pedal, and then a scarce few good. But I just picked one up today and it is holy flippin' good. I understand there were some major discrepancies between the original gray version and the newer red one, which I got, but with all the downs I was not expecting what I got. It hit exactly where my Barber DDC was lacking. Anyway...your turn!

2. Fornocerous

Fornocerous TDPRI Member

I got one of those Joyo vintage overdrives for like $40 or so, and since it's such a cheap pedal and it's made in china I expected to not be impressed, but I am. Tubescreamer clone but a little brighter. I dig it.

3. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    Like it so much I have 2.

4. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Dano Fab Echo-super cheap pedal, no delay time pot, not supposed to be "good"... But it's arguably the best slap back/rockabilly echo pedal out there! It's also held up quite well on my pedalboard, considering it's plastic case and all...

Franc Robert

5. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Digitech CF-7 Chorus Factory and Boss AW-3 Auto-wah. Both the job for me, but I don't brag on them much.

6. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer TDPRI Member

My Ts10. By far my favorite Tubescreamer. Had an original 9, reissue 9, Biyang and most recently East River Drive. The 10 is still the one. Crappy jacks and all.

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Boss DS-1 is pretty well hated but it works for me. I even like the Metal Zone -- that's a cool pedal too.

8. hoserton

hoserton Tele-Meister

My Boss FDR-1 reverb and vibrato pedal is on almost all the time. I set the EQ to noon and keep the gain low so it is as transparent as possible. I really can't complain about it for the $60 I paid for it new.

9. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer TDPRI Member

Oh another one I forgot. The Red Dunlop Fuzz Face. Full size one. Some say they are crap with the modern Germanium Trannys but mine sounds great especially with volume rolled back to 7-8 range.
    Maybe I got lucky and found a good one.

10. xmugmugmugx

xmugmugmugx Tele-Meister

Belcat analog delay. It's a fifty dollar analog delay pedal that nails it. It doesn't have a ling delay time and it doesn't self oscillate, but it does the dirty repeats as good as a pedal twice the price.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

EH Small Stone. Got it back around 79. My first pedal. I was told the MXR Phase 90/100 are the great ones. But I have an original Phase 100 and it's totally flat sounding compared to the Small Stone.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Eventide Timefactor. It's expensive, it's digital, it's big, and it has a ton of knobs on it. Pretty much everything that people around here love to poo-poo on. I love it.

13. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

DOD Milkbox Compressor.

14. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Ibanez soundtanks....
    Love the tremolo, ts-5 and Thrashmetal [its very RAT -like]

15. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Every Biyang pedal I own, the Mooer pedals I got for $44 each and all of the used BOSS pedals I bought from GC for less than $50..

16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've found that when the initial hype dies down, and a pedal has been out awhile, and I can at least try a used one for what isn't a huge up-front cost for a big unknown, that I can usually find some neat sounds out of just about any of them.

...I think a big part of it is letting all the initial hype and 'all things that might cloud our judgement' come to pass. I find that lots of stuff is marketed to really appeal to some certain thing - some archetype sound, some tie-in to nostalgia of some sort, or maybe even what are probably kind of lofty claims to do a whole host of things equally well.

When all of that is removed from the equation and you grab one of these things at a store (used), and don't have access to the manual, or are fuzzy on whatever the original marketing/pitches were, you are actually free to sonically evaluate the pedal simply based on your impressions alone.

So, I need not even list anything here that's probably commonly found as one of the 'usual suspects.' But I guess I will say that I have an old Dano Fabtone (big maroon metal box thing), and I went to a tiny bit of trouble to (finally) get a Boss HM-2 a few years back, and stuff like that. Do they see regular usage? No. Are they really that much worse than whatever has superseded them? My subjective answer to that is probably irrelevant, but at least I'd like to think that I've given myself some 'perceptive distance' to evaluate them simply based on how they sound when I fire one up and turn some knobs...

17. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

After the Dumbloid circuit was hacked, I put some of Shin's mods into an SD-1 along with some of my own. It sounds like the Red Llama and TS-808 had a baby; fuzzy op-amp distortion with a bit of TS mid-hump and the familiar TS/SD-1 style tone control. I'm having trouble knocking the damn thing off the board.

I didn't care much for the original when I played it, and no way I'd spend stupid money on one, but I'm digging my cheap-o version.

18. kyle wesley

kyle wesley TDPRI Member

I hate to say it, and this feels like a tragedy admitting it.

Digitech Hot Rod.

Don't have it anymore, but when I did I could get damn near any tone out of it. Maybe because it was surrounded by boutique stuff made it sound better.. But I freakin loved that thing!

19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Dano PBnJ, Fab fuzz.

20. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

The Marshall Jackhammer on the overdrive channel for me. There is no better MIB pedal to turn a small combo amp into a Marshall IMO and I have all of 30 invested into it used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.