1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedals that have come and gone, pedals that have stayed

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by theprofessor, Nov 11, 2020.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

This is little more than a narration of my own experience with various pedals, listing those that I've tried and that have, for one reason or another, gone back out the door, and those that have stayed (at least for now). The ones that have stayed have stayed for a while now, and there are a couple that have gone that I might like to have back.

Maybe it's interesting to someone or sparks a good discussion about some of the differences between some of the pedals.

Here are some pedals that have come and gone in the past seven years or so. (It was frankly shocking when I started writing these down to see how many different pedals I've owned and sold.)

Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin

Lovepedal Les Lius

Lovepedal Champ

Lovepedal Brownface Deluxe 4-knob

Lovepedal/Hermida EPH-3 Tape Echo Simulator

Lovepedal/Hermida Reverb 3

Lovepedal 60’s Reverb

Subdecay Super Spring Theory Reverb Plus

Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb

Tone City Tape Machine

Hudson Broadcast

Way Huge Swollen Pickle

Way Huge Red Llama

Way Huge Aqua Puss Mk II

Boss Blues Driver BD2

Boss Analog Delay DM2

Maxon AD-10 Analog Delay

MI Audio Crunch Box

Fulltone OCD V4

Fulltone Full Drive 2 MOSFET

ProCo Rat 2 (twice!)

Maestro Fuzz MFZ-1 clone by CSW

Bluesbreaker clone by CSW

Red Llama clone by CSW

Xotic EP Booster

TC Electronic Spark Booster (4-knob)

TC Electronic Flashback Digital Delay

TC Electronic Hall of Fame

TC Electronic Ditto Looper

EHX 360 Looper

EHX Holy Grail Reverb Nano

Voodoo Labs Tremolo 4-knob (twice!)

Wampler Euphoria

Wampler Tumnus

Of all these that I no longer have, I think I'd like to have the Voodoo Labs 4-knob tremolo, the TC Electronic Spark booster (4-knob), and possibly the Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin back. There were some other great pedals in there, but not all of them both sounded great and worked with my sound. Just because I didn't keep them obviously doesn't mean that they won't work well with other people's sound. I don't use a lot of overdrive, so it's not surprising that I don't keep those. But they're fun to experiment with. Of all the overdrives I've owned, the only one I couldn't get rid of fast enough was the Tumnus. I guess I'm not a Klon guy...

Here are the ones that have stayed:

Foxpedal Magnifica Deluxe reverb

Benson preamp

Supro Boost (I especially like it at 18V)

Catalinbread Belle Epoch EP Tape Echo

Keeley Compressor+ 4-knob

Wampler Latitude Deluxe Tremolo V2

Boss DS-1

TC Electronic Polytune

I don't use delay/tape echo or compression much, but when I do, the Belle Epoch and the Compressor+ sound great to me. When I need reverb for an amp, it's the Foxpedal. When I need tremolo, I can now turn to the Latitude. If I had one of these pedals that would be "always on," it would be the Supro Boost. The Latitude really has far more features than I need, but I played one in a store and thought it sounded simply superb. Despite the bad rap that optical tremolo has amongst some, I really, really like it. I have a couple of amps with bias-vary tremolo, which is great, but there's something about that choppy optical tremolo when you need it... The Benson preamp is perfect for me. As I said, I don't use a lot of overdrive, but this one can do a broad gamut of overdrive types, all of which sound good. And there's the Boss DS-1 that I modified to my liking. It sounds great with humbuckers, so I've kept it.

So there. Just sayin'. Maybe it'll spark a conversation.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow. From casual observation I'm most surprised you moved on from the HPTT. You seemed to really like it.

Have you detected a common theme/strain to the survivors vs the castoffs?

Beyond sounding great and working with your sound, which is of course the goal. But why those did and the others didn't?

theprofessor likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

A lot come in. I mean, a LOT
    Few go anywhere, though

I'm a sucker for a stompbox

4. theprofessor

None of the reverb pedals sounded right to me, until I got the Foxpedal. Not to say that they all sounded bad, but none "quite right." The larger format of some of the pedals tend to make me want to get rid of them if they are on the bubble. I hate that about all the Way Huge pedals, even though they tend to sound great. Also the Voodoo Labs tremolo is a larger format, but I'd have one of those again in a heartbeat. And of course I now have a Wampler Latitude, which takes up a lot of real estate.

The main things are (1) clarity, clarity, clarity (2) flexibility (I don't like things that have just one sound, which may have been why the HPTT didn't stay), and (3) for me actually to use the overdrive regularly, it's going to have to be mild and dynamic in nature (4) there are some pedals that I felt like "sounded digital" to me more than others, and I don't want that. Some of the TC Electronic pedals have this characteristic to my ears.

19sixty3 and MilwMark like this.
  5. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Last year

Out:
    Boss Blues Driver
    Maxxon 808
    EHX Small Clone
    MXR phase 90

In:
    Wampler Plexidrive
    Wampler Tumnus
    Full tone Soul Bender v2
    MXR Phase 90 Script
    Boss CH-1 Chorus

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

Haven't sold anything this year, which is new to me. I used to get rid of stuff that I'd miss in a few months. I think I got about 10 pedals this year. I've decided not to get any more units until 2021 (I know we're halfway through November, so that may sound funny; however, well, you know... GAS!)

theprofessor likes this.
  7. theprofessor

I came to add two things:

I forgot to list a Keeley 1962 that I had for awhile but returned to GC after deciding it wasn't my sound.

And I also just got another Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin to give it a try again.

8. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I should make a similar list, and loosely what made me keep vs jettison them. It's going to be an undertaking, when I do. The list of dirt/boost pedals I have currently is embarrassingly long as it is!

theprofessor likes this.
  9. theprofessor

Yes, it can be quite revealing in several ways. The most constructive, I suppose, is that it shows you what you thought didn't work. If you know why, then you've really learned something. Some of my discards were simply because there was something else I wanted, and pedals are easily to flip. But I do think I've learned what I like and don't like from trying things out. I've learned the same with amps by building them, but that's a much more involved and expensive process!

10. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I bring alot home, last one is a Lovepedal purple Plexi 800 that is just the bees knees imo. I'm really gonna try to keep them all now, i have around 35 atm. I've gotten rid of alot in the past and always seem to miss them later, some ,like the Danelectro Dan Echo which is really not that great technically but something i seem to have fun with, i've bought four times. Now I'm wanting a stupid MXR Blue box again, ive had how many????

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think this is an interesting excercise for reflection and introspection. Revealing.

I have always stuck with a pedal for a few years before selling it. I suppose I was content with all of my pedal selections until it became stale to me. My main and most significant change was the Tech 21 "California" for giving me that Santana "Boogie" tone. Then I bought the Catalinbread 5F6 and my world changed. I purged all of my traditional OD and dirt pedals for amp-in-box emulation pedals. No changes whatsoever for a few years now, except for a $30 fuzz pedal for some experimentation.

I assume changing amps influence people's decisions to swap out pedals. I have always stuck with a Fenderish clean foundation for my pedalboard. Perhaps that is why my pedal history is more linear than others.

12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

The only pedal that matters to me is my Boss 7-band EQ. And my Mesa/Boogie V-Twin.

Billy3 likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@theprofessor - I am the opposite in one respect. I prefer pedals that do one thing really well.

My lone exception is the Boss CE2w. It does great chorus and great vibrato.

... but I only use it for vibrato (faux Hammond/Leslie) :lol:

theprofessor likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Two of the ones that have endured seem to be the simple ones that a lot of people criticized, and still do. They were good enough to withstand the criticism.

Boss DS-1.
    Boss Metal Zone.

akuster777 and MilwMark like this.
  15. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Too many to list, but aside from dozens that are in boxes and drawers, these are currently on the floor in front of three rotating amp stations:
    Strymon Deco/Flint/El Cap/Lex
    Cali76
    Diamond Comp Jr
    DC-2
    DM-2
    Ditto
    Boomerang III
    Source Audio EQ
    Dover Drive
    Tu-2/TU-3
    Camel Toe

The pedals set aside are exiled temporarily for the most part. They are within reach. I do a have a separate box that will go up for sale some day.

theprofessor likes this.
  16. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I'm kind of a hoarder by nature, and I came into the pedal game pretty late, so I've mostly kept every pedal I've ever bought. There are a few that I consider selling (mostly the overdrive/boost type, since that's the majority of what I have) but I sort of rotate through them every few months to years. Something I really like gets used for a while, then it goes into my closet for a while (usually after I've had a gig/session where I wasn't digging what it was doing or else when I've found something I seem to like better), only to be rediscovered later and brought out for an encore.

The few that I've sold are:

MXR Phase 90 (since I bought a Phase 95, so it would've been redundant)

Ibanez Mini Analog Delay (as I've probably written elsewhere on the forum -- I tend to repeat myself (no pun intended :lol:), so I do apologize in advance for that -- I like analog delays but this one had a cold, metallic sound that I found hard to dial out. In hindsight, in listening to some of my gig/session recordings using this pedal, there was a neat quasi-overdrive "grunt" [think late '70s Keith Richards or Marc Ribot] that I liked from this pedal. I've since bought a Carbon Copy and, although I haven't been able to gig with it, it seems to get me a similar "grunt" sound in addition to slapback/delay.)

Boss Metal Zone (I got one of these for a steal. Thought it might be neat to experiment with, even though I don't go much heavier than '70s rock, but I couldn't do anything with it so off it went. In hindsight, I wonder if I could've gotten a mild overdrive sound at apartment-friendly volumes using my PRRI.)

17. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

I had a board size of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier a couple of years ago and a smaller travel board.

Then off with 20+ pedals, only pedals that stayed was Strymon Lex+Deco, Xotic RC booster+SP comp. And bought Keeley 30ms back, because I was stupid enough to sell it.

theprofessor likes this.
  18. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Not a big pedal person. Currently own a Providence delay, Wilson effects Haze, J rocket Animal and an Arc effects Klone V2.

My fave pedal I’ve ever owned and couldn’t be without is the Arc effects Klone V2.

The one brand in particular I’ve never got on with and really can’t understand the hype is Lovepedal. I’ve owned and sold many of their pedals. VERY overrated in my humble opinion.

19. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I guess my angle is that life is either too short or I'm too lazy to care too much about owning things I don't use. Some look for a pedal that will cover all their bases or trade for one that does. I've been told that I have 'a sound', but it's not because of what effect I'm using. Isn't that true for everyone though?

That's where different music, different guitars, different amps come into play. I definitely comp other sounds that require different gear. Some people plug straight in, play covers and don't care about getting 'that sound'.

I'm fortunate in that I can use just about any guitar or amp and get comfortable with them. I have many. They may require, or inspire, grabbing something from the drawer that has been there a couple years.

theprofessor likes this.
  20. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

theprofessor: blimey, that's a hell of a lot of pedals! My main board has a tuner, compressor, boost/drive, tremolo, reverb and delay. However I've built up a secondary board that includes a couple of pedals that have been hanging around here for years. Both are good sounding, bombproof Rocktron boxes -- the Surf compressor/tremolo and the Austin Gold drive pedal.

20190116_094319.jpg
    20190119_141722.jpg

theprofessor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.