1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

pedals that don't sound like they do on YouTube

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ndcaster, Mar 12, 2021.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I think demos are useful for getting some general ideas of what a pedal sounds like, but I need to hear many examples of the same pedal in order to get any value from it. No way would I think that one audio example is going to tell me anything much that is useful. Some things to keep in mind here are that a particular mic can have a big impact on the recorded sound and that a lot of pedal demos are going to be post processed with eq, compression, reverb, maybe limiting, and often in stereo. And the other signal chain gear involved in a recording (amp, speakers, guitar, player) have a huge impact on the final sound.

Bonhoeffer likes this.
  2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Seriously, I don't watch YT demos. I let Bluesholyman do the heavy lifting with his excellent (and frequent) reviews.

JoeNeri likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I watch tons of them, and I have made many purchases based on what I heard. There IS no place to hear a Custom Tones Ethos OD/Preamp. I like Shawn Tubbs Reviews the best.

4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

A chorus pedal must be blue.

zippofan, Iago, Oxidao and 2 others like this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

No, but if the demonstrators are good, they do teach how to achieve the effect by showing the settings.

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Videos for pedals are almost useless. Good videos make everything sound great. Bad videos make everything sound terrible. The only thing certain is that it will sound different when you use it, with your guitar, your amp, and your playing style. The only value is for a very broad general sense of things.

7. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

Does their videos sound like your rig when they play with the pedal off? This should be especially a concern with an effect like a phasor which doesn't alter EQ much and shouldn't alter gain. If your rig doesn't then you have the wrong rig for you (since you prefer someone else's) or you haven't explored how to get your play around with your guitar and amp, or your playing technique needs work. Also, is your signal chain similar? Are they plugged into other effects, in the FX loop or straight into guitar input? A phasor is a pretty simple and predictable device and, being a delay based effect, should have no more impact on tone that say reverb does. If it does, you need to back off on Wet.

northernguitar likes this.
  8. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Every. Single. One.

9. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Copy you all up there.
    Maybe you forgot when you didn’t even realize the difference between Mid Scooped Amps, Marshalls...
    Just guess my bewilderment (new word for me) searching for a Good Gain pedal for my DRRI bf.
    Started with OD3, then GOO GOO FUZZ, EH LPB-1 and TS mini.
    Wrong choices multiplied exponentially.

edit: I know I love them all,
    but didn't get the juice yet

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

I also have a BF DRRI in my amp collection ... Try a Barber Gain Changer...... , King of Tone, Prince of Tone, Rat, or Full Drive 2.... I play a variety of music covering anything for 70's on and can get some spectacular tones with the pedals I mentioned. I find that the key ingredient to good tone is to find the sweet spot of your amp then add color with your gain pedals without over saturating your gain.

Iago and Oxidao like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

This is an important point, and I can speak only to my case. I thought the DOD Phaser sounded a lot more univibey on YT than it does on my various amps.

When it comes to dirt, the amp/speaker's EQ profile is crucial. Totally agree.

12. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

None of them 100%. They always sound way better in the demos than when I try them in person.

13. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

When everyone comes to the final determination that it’s all in the hands, there’ll be a lot less pedal frustration out there ... jus’ sayin’

14. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Please don't use "cochlear implants" as an analogy. My partner has implants and be thankful you NEVER have to get them.

15. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Pretty good advice here thanks,
    Took a while to figure out...

...the beauty of a clean sound heating up Valves to fuzz. Step by step. Like sex
    lol

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Came to mention this, totally worth the watch.

Do You Know What You're Hearing In Guitar Gear Demos? Mick's Vlog – That Pedal Show[/QUOTE]

"Lower room volume".

dB meter reading between 85-91 dB. With his guitar volume rolled back.

Ha.

Then he turns up and is steady state 100 dB - 107 dB.

No earplugs. Impressive?

Iago likes this.
  17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

75% of youtube demos are some guy showing off his "skills" and not much of what the pedal does with various settings. 75% are with wild high gain / distortion (only) and no clean amp run so that you can actually hear what the pedal does. 75% play all lead and no chords or vise versa. Some overlap in those sets of data between groups.

A few guys actually show you what the pedal does with the same notes and chords played through a clean amp and perhaps then with a dirty / gain amp. So, then we have the Youtube compression to deal with... or the phone mic recording, etc.

Bill likes this.
  18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Never have watched one. Clearly I don't need to.
    Because, why?

19. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

When my Bassman amp is turned up loud enough, every pedal sounds glorious. I think that's how the pedal demonstrators make pedals sound so good. Use a nice amp that's turned up wicked loud.

20. Flaps

Flaps TDPRI Member

Never was happy with mine either, I got rid a while back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.