Pedals that don't sound as good as YouTube demos make them sound.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rob J, Feb 16, 2020.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I hate "univibe" pedal reviewers that continually play Hendrix and Trower riffs.

I hate pedal reviews that don't do a little simple strumming and some simple lead playing. Stop showing off and let us hear what the pedal can do, not what you can do. (Brett Kingman is really good about this).

I want pedal reviewers to play ordinary guitars (Strat, Tele, LP) through ordinary amps (Deluxe RI, Hot Rod Deluxe, Vox AC 15/30) so that most people can relate to the sound that the pedal adds.

I want reviewers of pedals to show me, step by step, how they are getting the sounds that they are getting.

Above all, keep everything simple.

Lawdawg, Digital Larry, Tim T and 4 others like this.
  2. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

In the majority of cases, yes. The amp should be sounding good already, with the pedal adding to it. I guess I'll never understand what people think they are hearing when running dirt pedals into clean solid state amps, pa speakers, and such. And now there are dedicated solid state guitar amps for such a thing. It's like selling fancy silverware and knife sets to people who are eating frozen tv dinners.

I kid you not, I have seen people recommend using dirt pedals directly into guitars inputs of audio interfaces in order to get overdriven tube amp sounds recorded, because the amp simulations don't sound enough like tube amps on their own.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I really like Brian Wampler.

gregulator450 likes this.
  4. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Ok sure

D_Malone likes this.
  5. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Thanks for the Brian Wampler video. He does an excellent job of putting things in perspective. Ironically one of the pedals that I own that always works for me is one of his.

6. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

I find pedals sound very different at different volumes. You can dial your sound in a room, then when it's time to turn it up, the sound is VERY different.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

fulltone stuff.. Ive bought some stuff thinking it sounds great, but when it got to me, it just doesnt work with my rig, and my ears dont like what it hears..

however, when I was starting to get into the OD pedal game, I watched a lot of videos of Timmy/Tim and that was waaay back when video quality is just horrendous, and they all sounded like tin cans.. but when I got hold of the pedals, and put through my rig, they all sounded awesome..

and Wampler stuff is great too! my favorites have been the Ecstacy/Euphoria, Tumnus/Tumnus Deluxe, among the many others..

8. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

That’s how I run my Tumnus. As such, I don’t set the gain much past 9 o’clock to get a nice rock rhythm OD tone.

9. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I agree with all of that. Play some chords. 90% of the time, I'm going to be playing chords through the thing. Don't start a noodle fest. We need to hear the meat of the thing. Gear reviewers know this, but some of them are trying to trick you with their playing abilities. Try and show a wide range of what the pedal can do, using all of it's features, not just the Hendrix or Van Halen settings. And I'll add one to that list. If you don't have a means to produce a decent recording of a piece of gear (recording with a phone), then what do you think you are doing?

Lawdawg, gsdrgsxr and omahaaudio like this.
  10. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I don't agree that they all sound the same. I also don't agree that they all sound great. But Andy definitely does know his way around pedals, how to use them in good context, and he can play to back it up. That he does such as good job consistently might fool some people. But I do wish that he would give a quick rundown of the signal chain and settings every time that he demonstrates a pedal, even if it is just a snapshot showing the gear models and parameter settings.

Tim T likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

People sometimes record direct into their DAW usin an IR rather than either using the mic of whatever they are recording the vid with, or just traditionally micing an amp, and yeah, then, there's this:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

How on earth could a pedal possibly sound like it does on YouTube? Playing a guitar through the pedal, amped, cannot replicate the nonsensical lo-fi crappiness of YouTube audio as most people play it. I think the OP is backwards, from my perspective. Everything sounds better through my basic rig than it does on YouTube!

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

What specific artifacts are you hearing from youtube audio?

14. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Often in advertising the product isn't exactly as presented..

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Something that I don't like about the gear industry is reviewers posing themselves as 'regular guys' just demonstrating a piece of gear for others, when in reality these people are making a living 'demonstrating' (pimping) gear. Other guys don't try and pretend that they aren't making a living at doing what they are doing, such as Andy at ProGuitarShopDemos. I have alot more respect for the latter. Or maybe the guy is just so good at it that I'm duped by it.

17. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Even if you can duplicate every part of the YouTube presentation (amp, guitar, pickups, microphone, pedals, leads, patch cords, speaker ... I mean identical in every way possible) you won't get the same result. There's how YouTube samples what you feed into it and then how it plays back through your listening device. It's NEVER going to sound the same.

18. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I think most pedals do sound good though to be fair, they just aren't as exciting as people on youtube would have you believe.

I don't think I've ever plugged a pedal in and thought "OMG it's amazing, it's so much better than anything I have already"

.... If they were all the same price and made in the same plain silver boxes with the same black knobs, I think choosing something for it's sound would be much easier.

I went through a phase of building all the boutique 'plexi/JTM/marshall sounding overdrive' circuits I could find, they are all good, I could happily use (almost) any of them and none of them are way better than any of the others, they all do it well.

19. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I'm glad we have Youtube videos to get us in the ballpark. It's a darn sight better than a magazine blurb or manufacturer's ad copy. We get to see and hear what Paul Gilbert and others have on their boards. We get to see pedals of the same ilk lined up and compared at the same time (a channel called the Pedal Bored does this rather well). How about a couple of pedal heads yucking it up a bit (That Pedal Show)? I could go on and on. Yeah, there are cork sniffers in every walk of life, but for the most part I like and learn a lot from these Youtube channels.

Frontier9 likes this.
  20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Well everything is different in the video than when you're playing the thing yourself. I'm not a big pedal guy but I bought and moved some of the "high end" stuff (overdrives exclusively) as well. It's broad generalization but I found them to have a tenedency to sound good playing on my own but disappear when the band joins in. All the pedals I tried had a tendency to have a fat bottom end so they sound great on youtube and in the bedroom. I moved them all and kept a Rat (I own it since the 90s) and a Tube Screamer clone. Go figure.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.