1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedals that are compatible with an expression pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Cole LR, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Cole LR

Cole LR TDPRI Member

I’ve recently got an Moog ep3 expression pedal to use with my avalanche run and I’m now looking to get other pedals that I could use it with. I’m not looking for anything too expensive, no mooger foogers or anything like that, but some suggestions of a good overdrive or chorus/vibrato pedal with an ex pedal inputs would be much appreciated.

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

3. Cole LR

Cole LR TDPRI Member

Do you know of any that combine chorus and vibrato, or like a multi efffects modulation pedal with an ex jack

4. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Marshall RG1

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There were a couple of Boss auto-wahs and one delay, but you could also look for a used Zoom.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Love the Moog EP-3. Much better than the Roland RV-5. Go visit Strymon. You might think they are expensive, but many of their pedals are 2-in-1. You might even find a deal. I think all theirs allow use with expression (I have four), and was the reason I got my EP-3's (I have two).

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

EHX Memory Boy, Deluxe Memory Boy or various Deluxe Memory Man models do this.

The Expression pedal is pretty wacked on them. Change the delay time, rate, depth, mix/blend, whatever. You can absolutely use it to do chorus/vibrato with expression.

They're very fun to play with the expression pedal but very challenging to do anything musical. The expression pedal on some of the EHX pedals allows you change parameters beyond what the knob is capable of. E.x. I think on the delay pedals it will let you set the delay to 2x what the knob will, which does very crazy things because you're pushing the analog delay way past normal.

Not that these are cheap pedals but expression input + useful features + cheap don't really seem to go together all that often.

I have a Moog Ep-3, I can confirm it works perfectly with the Memory Boy and the Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT. I'd imagine it works fine with the rest of them.

Maybe it's time to pull the EP-3 out and try to get creative.

8. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I have a boss phase-shifter (ph-3 I think) that has an expression Jack. It’s not a cheap pedal, and it can be a bit of a tone suck, but it gets some pretty crazy sounds and probably even crazier with the expression add on. I can’t comment from experience though.

now you’ve got me thinking I should get an expression pedal to try :rolleyes:

9. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender Pinwheel is nice!
    Boss Delay, flange or phase are nice too.

10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Keep in mind that although an expression pedal is an extremely simple device... they can be wired in numerous different ways.
    Just because an expression pedal works with one effect, that doesn't mean it will work (properly) with the next one.

In short.... once you figure out what you want, research whether or not it will work with your expression pedal before buying it!

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve been doing great things with a homemade expression pedal hooked up to my EHX Grand Canyon delay. Programming is a bit tricky, but almost any parameter can be controlled.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.