pedals are cool

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by 6String69, Jul 14, 2019.

1. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

I bought a nice Gibson and a nice Fender. I got a good rig. Everything used. Since then, I have really gone down the rabbit hole with pedals. Who else spends more time, energy, and money on pedals than anything else?

ClashCityTele, kbold and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

Hi My name is Aleks I am a pedal addict in recovery.
    You’ve come to a safe place!
    Pedals can be one crazy addiction.
    Especially since most are less then guitars.
    I’ve been clean of pedal junky-dom for about 2 years and am happy I’m free from the affliction but wouldn’t give back the pedals I’ve acquired.
    I think you should be okay as long as you stick to a no more than 2 of each effect (distortion,overdrive,fuzz,chorus,delay etc.......)
    Where the rabbit hole is the darkest is in the fuzz universe. KEEP AWAY! from the fuzz (advice from someone with more fuzz than I can count)
    Make sure if you buy a pedal it has an application for you.
    I started to ween myself off of pedal collecting once I realized that for every 4 or so high end pedals I bought I could have a decent guitar.
    Dang our first world problems! ;)

Oh my if that’s you in your profile picture with the Mascis shirt your probably into fuzz and I may be too late :(

3. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hi, my names ken, and I'm a pedaholic.
    I haven't bought a pedal for a while now, but it is a struggle to resist the temptation.
    While Fretting Out had a fuzz addiction, my preference was for overdrives. I know it sounds silly, especially for someone who isn't suffering. Some try to tell me an overdrive is just an overdrive, but although I know I'm being irrational, I don't see it that way.

May I suggest you find your local "Pedaholics Anonymous". They will listen with sympathy and understanding, without judging you.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

Maybe the pedal club needs to have a thread about pedal recovery?
    Maybe a support group for those of us that still suffer?

soulman969 likes this.
  5. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good plan. We could have weekly P.A. meetings online.

It would need guidelines though, otherwise it may degenerate into a"pedal swap club".

uriah1 and Fretting out like this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I am in recovery...

I made do with an MXR microamp, a wah and a three channel Mesa tube amp with a rack delay unit from the 80’s for a couple of productive decades.

Got sucked into pedals with all the noise about their magnificence on sites like this about three years ago. Got around 8 in short order...

Mmmm.. findings

- A simple pedal delay is just not as good as a rack delay with patches for different tunes

- Most boutique pedals have knobs which are easily knocked out of whack at a gig... cr*p and lazy design.

- I can get better stereo multi & ambient effects from a rack Lexicon MX200 for a FRACTION of the price.. with patches

- Tube amp dirt and crunch is still way better than any electronic pedal.. which all sounds harsh, one dimensional and truncated with no bass or treble extension in direct comparison

- They introduce loads of extra points of failure which can be hard to diagnose mid gig, or worse, mid song.

- they are a marketers dream, as they can play on guitarists insecurities offering lots of little tweaks and tiny variations for exorbitant prices

My flirtation with pedals is quickly coming to end. There are quite simply better combinations out there to be had with more versatility. My rats nest pedalboard is also far more expensive and less practical than my Boss GT100 multifx backup DI rig.

I am rebuilding my rack patch advance and bypass and new Marshall four channel amp control into a new compact control board for gigs and retiring the pedalboard to home use and fiddling. The MXR microamp will remain for live use.

7. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

20190104_185040.jpg Pedal junkie in recovery, look at my profile picture that thing was a monstrosity, so glad I don't have to lug that around anymore. Got rid of every thing on it and traded for a PRS 408 one of the best things I ever did! Also got a Kemper powerhead was a tube amp guy for years yeah I know what you're thinking. But I can carry a gig bag guitar a Orange 112 and the amp into the gig in one trip. Still have and use a Eventide H9 max in the effect loop, the only other pedals I own are a Lovepedal Purple Plexi and a Keeley Mod station that might get traded too. Wouldn't you rather have this guitar than 100 pedals

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    TheTruth likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

IMO most pedalmania is just a result of trial and error in the pursuit of a tone each player is seeking. It's an obsessive condition and the only cure is maturation.
    At some point you come to the realization that you're chasing ghosts.

At one time I had four OD pedals on my board: Timmy, Blackbox 2, Archer and KOT. In reality I could get the same tone out of any of them. There may have been nuances to the various tones but, in the end, they were negligible. Now it's just the KOT and I kept the Timmy for a smaller pedalboard.
    Then I had two "tweed" style "foundation" pedals: a CB 5F6 and Lovepedal HP Tweed Twin. The Lovepedal could growl a little more but the 5F6 was more versatile so I scrapped the Lovepedal.
    Same situation with a "Marshall" amp in a box: CB DLS and Wampler Plexi Drive, now it's just the DLS.
    I've had two "Dumble" style pedals: an early period ZenDrive and Simble. I can emulate it just as well with the KOT.
    Delays and mod effects, I've gone through a bunch but I'm sticking with the TC Flashback. It's versatile and I'm not going to pay for a Strymon or a Belle Epoch Deluxe.
    I can't think of all the pedals I've had: TS9, BD-2, Dark Side, CE-2, EP Boost, SP compressor, JHS Morning Glory and I can't begin to list all the Fuzzes I've gone trough. Tons of wasted money and time.

If we could be rational and objective (impossible) we would find 5 or 6 pedals and learn how to get the most out of them matched with our amp and guitars. Of course, no one is rational in the search for tone and it's almost impossible to sate your desire for more pedals when you are afflicted with the obsession.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Yea.....

I've spent lots of time obsessing about everything other than pedals. But now I have 5 electrics I can rotate through for different sounds, and everything else has to wait but pickup upgrades for 1 or 2 more of those (Mustangs humbuckers, possibly teles stuff, but I dont hate the stock tele ones...) 3 amps, and everything else on the list to buy is in the $700+ range, so I'm set for awhile.

Pedals though, I cant drop more than $120 on anything for practicality reasons, but thanks to a variable used market, $300 Maxons, scratched Tortugas, and loads of boutique stuff drops into that realm.
    I NEED more pedals, but I basically spent 15 years using just an amp(and its reverb/lead channel), a small clone, and either a Big Muff or Graphic Fuzz into a Fender 75 or an AB165 bassman. So, not counting things I never used with bands/sold, or an AB box and tuner, 2 pedals were fine.

Then I bought an AD999 this year. Then I bought a BBEtwo timer, as a "beater" alternative to the Maxon. Then I bought an OD, didn't work, sent it back. I still need 3ish OD pedals, a Rat, and then......

I'll be in the same bottomless rabbit hole as you guys because I have an addiction to fuzz pedals. I'd like to modify my 2004ish NYC Big Muff, but I still need more. Just my list from before this years pedal run is rough....
    Wee Buzz is distinct enough for me to need. I a fuzzface clone has.long been on the docket, but I liked the silicone ones more than the germanium ones I'd tried (but didn't know why/the difference until this year...) op amp Muff was on the list thanks to that bald fella from Illinois and his sound. People telling me old muffs were better got me liking the sound of the triangle muffs to the point of "needing" a clone.
    Then this year happened, and I stumbled upon Tortugas Atomic Sasquatch with silicone and germanium modes, thier Grunge Yeti, which sounds just slightly different than the regular yeti and was a limited run.
    Then theres those RedWitch seven sisters pedals I've always thought were neat, and the Fuzz (ruby?) Is in the $40-$50 range periodically, so I know that's going to constantly tempt me because of the novelty of a micro usb charging pedal is cool. Then people keep carrying on about that hoof made by Earthquaker up in Akron (I don't know why I want to get behind Ohio companies for guitar stuff, DrZ and Earthquaker are stupid expensive).

Yea, I think the problem isn't US per say, but that pedals are so much cheaper than guitars and amps, and nothing else impacts sound as much as them in that range. People who obsess about amps swap between tube brands, and the different sounds cost them a similar amount as a pedal. People who obsess about guitars swap pickups and it costs around as much as a pedal (but trons and buckers would be creeping into boutique pedal costs)
    I upgrade pickups or tubes once, get what I want, and I'm done.

I think we all like to tinker with sound, and pedals are the logical way to do this if you aren't in the aforementioned other groups. It's just too easy...

10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Pedalphilia?

11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I love pedals. They are a tool to sculpt your sound. I do think we are in a golden age of really inexpensive pedals and that there are diminishing returns, the more you spend on one.
    I think the underlying sound of the amp is extremely important. Some pedals don’t bond with some amps. For me, pristine fender blackface tone is the perfect pallet.

6String69 likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've cut back on buying Cheap Chinese Pedals this year. I had been buying 2 to 5 of them a month since 2015. I have gradually become disenchanted with the build quality, the sameness and tone differences vs the original circuits in some pedals. Instead, I'm trying to concentrate on less expensive and 'under the radar' pedals that are better made and better sounding.

Norris Vulcan and 6String69 like this.
  13. TheTruth

TheTruth TDPRI Member

Being a minimalist & quality over quantity kind of person, I didn't expect to get so much into pedal research. Where I stay, the only thing you can get is Chinese clones.
    Most of the pedals discussed in forums are not available here but still I like doing the research & finding out how something would suit me.
    It's crazy that I have a top 10 list of pedals that I'd like to have but we don't get anything here. I visit Reverb & imagine how it'd be to receive an awesome BJFe Honey Bee.
    If I had access to a good used market, I think I would have gone on a frenzy.

14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Hi, I'm a pedalholic.
    I also have OCD - I keep buying OCD clones. Although I've only bought 1 pedal this year...so far.
    I have 3 boards & have just realised I have enough 'spare' pedals for a fourth.
    I'm already planning the build.
    I need help.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Here's your ticket to the insane asylum:
    https://www.olx.in/
    o.k., not a crazy amount of choices, but I just looked now and found a bunch of Boss, a couple of MXR pedals, and a 70s Electro-Harmonix Phaser at an excellent price and condition. In fact, I've never seen it priced so low, maybe it's stolen?

TheTruth likes this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I did for a while. But then I settled on a collection I was satisfied with, and have not tried a new pedal since. I’m happier now.

6String69, Obsessed and TheTruth like this.
  17. TheTruth

TheTruth TDPRI Member

hey thanks!
    Are you based in India or did you do it just to make me happy?
    That EHX phaser is really cheap & I haven't seen any vintage EHX stuff going at that price.. actually nothing goes at that price. Alas! I already have a phaser & don't use that effect.
    Thanks again..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not in India, I use olx in my own country. Although maybe not as much for guitar stuff, I use a local guitar forum.

TheTruth likes this.
  19. TheTruth

TheTruth TDPRI Member

Ah ok, I'm going to check a Joyo American Sound from a seller on Olx sometime soon. I want to know what a typical Fender sound is. I think I'm playing Marshall style cleans.

20. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

on one of my local classifieds sites some guy is selling a 1975 mxr distortion for €600. now, i couldn't really give a monkeys one way or the other because i'd never consider buying it but it makes you wonder - at some point you have to separate out form from function. where does value actually come in to this equation? i mean, yes it's rare but there are lots of clones of it and who can tell the tonal and sonic differences, really? and it doesn't have an LED, an AC jack or even true bypass. and for 600 bucks you could be well on your way to buying a seriously nice tube amp - it's only a distortion pedal ffs.

radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.