Pedalboard Review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tele-beeb, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I would like to review my current board... thanks, this will keep me from going stir-crazy during the winter weather. This is the board... from Roadie, it works good:

[​IMG]

I trimmed it recently... trimmed too far and soon an Empress Tape Delay will arrive.
    Board specific I use small power sources like the One Spot. Two reasons... cheaper... and (two) I fear a big power supply going out and leaving me with no pedals.
    I don't plan to review the tuner separately... it's a Pitch Black, it's a tuner, it's bright under lights (almost ok in the sun), picks up other instruments (like bass or acoustics noodling)... anyway, it's over a year old and works fine. Quiet and quiet switching. Ok, better than ok, it's good.

Next I plan to review the SL Drive...

2. Tele-beeb

Xotic SL Drive Review

[​IMG]

That's my SL Drive... I bought it because of all the good reviews and cool sounding demo's. It took me a while to warm up to it. I sorta' bought it for high gain/saturation, and I didn't really find that.
    What I did find is that mine (with my rig) gives a really great grainy sound at the setting shown. It has an internal dip switch to set several characters... right now, I have the Super Lead High/Mid Cut setting. I suppose I have had pedals that would do the low gain throaty grit just as well, but, there is an abstract conjuring that compels me to keep this little box switched on pretty well all the time.
    I find if I put the SL first it just makes the original signal better. Like... a tone boost with an attitude. It does compress a bit, but, at this setting, it is pretty subtle and I find myself liking it more all the time.
    I've had it since Christmas '14 and we're not really off the honeymoon, but, I am pretty sold on the sound and quality build of this little guy.
    Great sound, small footprint... plays well in front of my other pedals, looks super and not a bad price. I give it five smileys out of five: :):):):):)

3. Tele-beeb

Mr. Black Supermoon Reverb

The Mr. Black Supermoon...

[​IMG]

To preface, I'm typically not an amp-reverb user. I could care less if the amp comes with reverb. However, it is a sound we use from time to time.

I tried other big name reverb pedals, but, finally this is the one that I kept.
    It has sort of what I'd think of as a stadium or maybe a cavern sound.
    I use it for anything from a short reverb to a held-note kind of thing. For that, I work the decay knob with my foot.

I sometimes use it as a synth-pad-substitute. I can set the reverb knob to taste, and again, work the decay with my foot. Would be easier with one of those MXR rubbery knob covers, but, eh... it works fine as is.
    The sway knob has little use for me... too much sway makes it sound out of tune with the band... I suppose it would be better if an instrument were played solo.

All in all it is a great tool for me... true to form it has an organic feel... it really sounds like I'm in a giant stadium... without that nasty I'm a digital cave feel. :):):):):)

4. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Looks to me like you've got some cool pedals plus room for 2 or 3 more. I used a 1spot daisy chain for about 3 years with no problems. When I got Jamman looper & put it in my chain my tremolo went nuts. That is what convinced me to get a VDL ISO5. Really cleaned up the noise. Have fun, looks good.

5. Tele-beeb

Thanks Jimmy Dean. The power supply on my board is a weak link... and you are right, there probably is room for at least three more :)

6. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

That One-Spot will die on you long before any Real power supply will. Get yourself a good power supply; you get more options, less issues with certain pedals not agreeing with daisy chains, lower noise floor, and they're built better than any cheap wall-wart like the One-Spot. I personally use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 that I got used for $120 or so.

-Ryan

7. Tele-beeb

T.C. Nova Delay

[​IMG]

What an all around great effect... the T.C. Nova Delay. I use it quite a lot... and I suppose it has been discussed a lot.
    I will only try to add something of use to Nova owners... and I have mentioned it before. If I choose the Ping-Pong setting, I get an entirely different set of taps (while using in mono operation.)
    Another unwritten feature to note. While using the Ping-Pong mode with the repeats turned down low... the repeats play strong for a number of beats, then trail way off. I dig that... sometimes when playing a rhythmic beat against the delay, I like a number of loud repeats, then a number to hide under the playing. Not ducking... it does that... I can't otherwise describe it other than: mode set to ping pong, repeats set low, results in fun for Tele-beeb. Five out of five smileys.
    :):):):):)

8. Tele-beeb

Solidgoldfx Nitro... yes!

[​IMG]

Isn't that a cool looking pedal? White powder-coat-ish finish with a cool contrasting green 70's pinstripe motif. It says "Made in Canada". I dig that... those dudes up there rock!
    It has two toggles (as you can see.) The tone toggle has three different flavors... I like the top one as it injects just the right amount of bass (for my tastes.)
    The mode toggle also has three settings:
    clean, a bit gritty... and a low-fi 70's rock dirt. I use all three, but, the greatest boost comes from the clean setting.
    I just really like this pedal... I use it to boost, kick up some dirt (in my tube amps), and even cut volume from time to time. One of my favorites and talking about it makes me want to go fire it up.
    For sure five out of five smileys :):):):):)

9. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

I like the Nova Delay's functionality. Tell us how it compares to the new one you have coming. :)

10. Tele-beeb

Empress Arrived Two Days Ago... Early Preview...

Yes dalandan, the Nova is pretty cool to use... I have played hundreds of sets over maybe three years and it never let me down. Predictable, versatile, and durable is what I have observed.

I sat in the floor with the Empress last night for about an hour and played. The sound is just breathtaking. I am a delay-geek and have owned or at least demo-ed a cross-section of whats available... the Nova is an affordable "Weekend-warriors" stage delay... the Empress is icing on the cake... when I want delay to be the star I will have a setting that just puts the Empress in the spotlight.

11. Tele-beeb

The Diamond Tremolo

[​IMG]

The Diamond Tremolo. I have had this one for quite a while. Although it has a simple interface (and simple to use)... it still has a lot of (basic) features. The speed can be set via a knob or the tap footswitch. Along with that it has rhythmic waveforms. I do use those waveforms... probably more than the standard one. There is also a toggle to set the different styles of trem. One of the features I like is the momentary tremolo... useful when I only want trem at a specific time... it's the default way I set it up.

The volume knob is an added bonus... it makes it easy to keep your place in the mix (when using the effect.) As I said, I use the momentary feature... and with that the pedal stays in the on position and you press the tap for tremolo. In that mode the volume control is a cut/level/boost. It adds sparkle and fullness to my overall sound so I use that setting a lot.

Cool sound, easy to use, and a multi-tasker... again five out of five smileys.
    :):):):):)

12. Tele-beeb

Buss Fuseholder re-purposed to Pickholder

Is anyone reading down this far?
    We have more snow... like 18-20 inches... I will have time to review the Darkhorse later tonight if anyone is interested.

For fun... I'll review the Buss Fuseholder/Pickholder

[​IMG]

I found this discarded on a stage... I applied the Velcro brand hook and loop adhesive-backed material and stuck it in the pedalcase. It holds 5+ medium assorted picks. I find it pretty handy... especially when traveling.

13. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

There's tone suck for anything other than Altoids.

14. Tele-beeb

So they named it after an evil horse... fitting...

[​IMG]

See that evil looking horse on the front of that pedal? That picture must come from someone who crossed paths with a horse that took their original signal and turned it into a really distorted one that does all the cool stuff that I'd want it to... like sustain a lot and feedback when I want it to and clean up when I back the volume off.
    I don't think the dark part applies to the sound of the pedal... it applies to the personality of that horse. I remember a horse that ran and didn't understand the word woah! That's where they got the name... a dark horse that runs away with ten year old kids I bet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.