Pedalboard Power Supply Suggestions?

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I've lived in a bunch of different places, some VERY old, houses, apartments, and even traveled for work for a few years living in hotels and had a small board with me and used a 1Spot and NEVER had any issue with noise. I am in no way saying it's not possible, but I also think it's WAY overblown on internet forums. I don't have noise cancelling pickups, don't use a Decimator or any other gate, and surely don't tote around a Furman. Single coil noise is something completely different, and not talking about that, but I have never had any noise issues with a 1Spot powering pedals.

I'm gonna guess OP ain't playing Madison Square Garden, and is just looking for something to power the few pedals he has right now for a very small board. Batteries are a waste. Makes way more sense to spend the $30 for a 1Spot and not worry about turning off pedals when you're done playing (how many times have you tried to kick on a pedal when you used batteries and found the battery was dead? Happened quite a bit when I was a kid using batteries).

I know the 1Spot isn't the cool thing to use when it comes to power supplies, but really it's just fine for playing at home, and makes no sense to spend $150-$250+ plus to power a few pedals if you're playing at home or even jamming with buddies. And if/when OP graduates to a bigger board and gets more pedals the 1Spot makes a great backup, or can still be paired with the PT Mini and used to have a second powered board.

Dare I say, most of us who just noodle at home (unless we have a big board) would do just fine with a 1Spot, but think we need the expensive power supply because it's what the pros use. If it was me and I only had a few pedals I'd be more inclined to spend the money I was going to spend on an expensive power supply on a few more pedals.
A 1-Spot is awful if one of the pedals is digital or has a charge pump.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
OP said his has an OD, boost and a noise gate. Said he's interested in also getting a fuzz, phaser and tuner. I think he'll be fine. We're not talking about running a board full of Eventide pedals here, but I guess anything is possible. I mean, you could get hit my a meteor or be in an earthquake while playing your pedals at home and someone would blame the 1Spot I'm sure.

But feel free to come up with more "what if" scenarios.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
OP said his has an OD, boost and a noise gate. Said he's interested in also getting a fuzz, phaser and tuner. I think he'll be fine. We're not talking about running a board full of Eventide pedals here.

What if he adds a digital delay or wants to add a digital pedal? They’re more common now than ever. Buy once. I had a One-Spot, but ditched it when my EHX Soul Food (analog, but with a charge pump) made horrible noise when connected to my Boss tuner pedal. I switched to isolated power and never looked back.

Don’t be pissy, it’s not a good look.

tele_savales

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Cioks DC5 and then bumped up to a 10. Mostly due to positive reviews and that I got smoking deals on both of them. Had zero problem selling the first one for what I got for it. The Voodoo supplies are alleged to be the industry standard, and that seems to be reflected in the price.
Compact, under the board mounting was also a consideration that led me to the Cioks line.

oatsoda

Tele-Afflicted
Oh yeah, and I’ve had outstanding service from the Joyo, been on my board at least 10 years.
4B59F30E-FB0B-462B-B084-8B44907C519D.jpeg

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
What if he adds a digital delay or wants to add a digital pedal? They’re more common now than ever. Buy once. I had a One-Spot, but ditched it when my EHX Soul Food (analog, but with a charge pump) made horrible noise when connected to my Boss tuner pedal. I switched to isolated power and never looked back.

Sounds like you're pissy because your Soul Food took a dump on you. Mine's been working great since I bought it when it first came out. Used it with PP2, Fender LVL8 and 1Spot power supplies and it's still going strong.\

I completely subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" principal, but within reason. $30 compared to $200+ isn't really comparing apples to apples.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds like you're pissy because your Soul Food took a dump on you. Mine's been working great since I bought it when it first came out. Used it with PP2, Fender LVL8 and 1Spot power supplies and it's still going strong.
Lol. No, it just didn’t mix with a daisy-chain, which is my entire point (and it wasn’t my flavour and got sold). Some pedals will just not play nice together on the chain. This can be avoided by have a PS that has isolated power ports. OP likes to play out and gig. With a quality supply, it won’t matter where he plugs in.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Excuse my ignorance, but what’s a “charge pump”?
Is that another name for a latching capacitor?

OP said his has an OD, boost and a noise gate. Said he's interested in also getting a fuzz, phaser and tuner. I think he'll be fine. We're not talking about running a board full of Eventide pedals here, but I guess anything is possible. I mean, you could get hit my a meteor or be in an earthquake while playing your pedals at home and someone would blame the 1Spot I'm sure.

I don’t think @TwangerWannabe is being pissy, I think he’s answering my original question…after many people suggested some things that would be extreme overkill and/or just wouldn’t fit on this very small board.

I won’t be adding any digital pedals—I only have one of those left (a Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble) and it’s staying on my Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss (BOBOSB)—and the whole point of this exercise was (1) to use some good pedals I already had laying around and (2) have a small grab-n-go board with just the basics for jams, rehearsals, travel, etc.

I do appreciate people telling me what worked for their big boards (over 5 pedals)…my BOBOSB (a Furman SPB-8) is close to 20 years old, and while I still have faith in it, I’m not so delusional as to think it will never die…and if/when it does, I’ll be able to reference what’s worked for my TDPRI Brethren.

Good Vibes to Y’all!

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I dont even know if any of my pedals are digital. My two wall warts have been powering 6-8 pedals for 15 years.
I'm going to this though, although I haven't taken the time to do it. 2 amps enough? 🤣 Cost me $26

Philmore MW122A.jpg

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
To reiterate:

I will be using a Pedaltrain Mini.

I’ll have a tuner (possibly a Boss TU-3, which can be used to power other pedals as well), an overdrive (probably an *MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive), a fuzz (still deciding, but I like a few of the MXR offerings), a boost (an *MXR Micro Amp) and maybe a Phase shifter (possibly an MXR Phase 95).

If there is room and I have the need, I will put a noise gate on there. I have a *Rocktron HUSH, but it’s awfully big for this board.

*(I already have these pedals)

thechad

Tele-Holic
Almost embarrassed to admit that I have 2 Donner power supplies under my board. Cheap? Absolutely. 2 of them redundant? Believe it. Left in a lurch? Not yet...
I have a Donner under my board as well. Is it the best of the best? Certainly not. But I have nothing bad to say about it yet, and you can’t beat the price!