Pedalboard power supply OTHER THAN Voodoo Lab PP2 Plus

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by joel_ostrom, May 13, 2013.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

My small board has room for about 10-12 pedals, but the Voodoo Lab power supply only has 8 outlets. If I want to power the other pedals, I was wondering if there was an alternative power supply that I could seek out. The voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus is so expensive (like $250+).

Anybody use other power supplies and found them satisfactory?

*EDIT* My mistake, after doing some price checking i've found them to be substantially less that what I said. Most places between $169-179. Regardless, please give me your thoughts on some alternative power supplies. I'm still curious.

Cheers!

2. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

I used 1Spots for years (usually 2 per board), and never had any real problems. I recently changed over to PP2+ and ISO 5 power supplies, and am glad I did. Much easier to run the power cables, and my boards actually sound a little better/tighter (don't really know why, but they do).

Btw, you can easily power 10-12 pedals with a PP2+. Most drives can be daisy chained together, as they don't draw much power, but delays & modulation usually get their own outlet. There's also a courtesy outlet on the PP2+, that you can plug another power supply into. If you shop around, you can find used ones for $100-$120.

3. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    Like Nub said, even though the PP2+ had 8 outputs, it is possible to power more pedals if you daisy chain a few from one output (as long as the pedals you're daisy chaining don't require more juice than the maximum mA of the particular output). However, you may get some unwanted noise depending on the pedals you daisy chain, which is why I don't recommend it.

I have a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon on my Pedaltrain Jr which is okay, but the Voodoo Lab PP2+ is better, in my opinion. I've tried to daisy chain a few pedals with the Fuel Tank Chameleon, but I get a lot of unwanted noise from certain pedals, even when I isolate them to one output, so I use the Fuel Tank Chameleon for the pedals that draw a lot of juice and a 1 Spot for those that don't.

4. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

BBE Supra-Charger is the only other power supply than the Voodoo Lab that I'd consider, the one-spot style (tried several brands) always gave me noise and the pedals didn't sound as good. Just my experience.

5. sagaci

sagaci Tele-Meister

Have you already got the 10-12 pedals? If so, what are they?

It's hard to recommend a power supply when the pedal specifics are unknown. Even if that are all 9V low current, 12 pedals would call out for a larger than standard power supply solution. You could try a one spot but I'd be wary about non-isolation with that many pedals. You could go with two T-Rex fuel tank juniors but that would cost as much as a PP2+ though you'd have 10 outlets and they would be small and separate.

6. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I just got one of the redesigned MXR Power Bricks and am satisfied so far. It's quiet in my rig and more than enough juice.

7. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

I've never thought to daisy-chain pedals using the PP2. This might be a good (and cheaper) route to go until I eventually may need to purchase a 2nd one.

All my pedals are standard 9V requirement type pedals.

TC Electronics Polytune
    Wampler Analog Delay
    Xotic Effects SP Compressor
    Voodoo Lab Giggity
    Boss GE-7
    Fulltone OCD Overdrive
    MXR Clean Boost
    Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
    Road Rage Dual Input/Output Buffer

How do you go about chaining effects together if the pedal doesn't have a DC output on it? Just one of these?
    [​IMG]

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

No this one.. [​IMG]

9. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

I power 8 with my T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.

10. Dimitri92

Dimitri92 TDPRI Member

Carl Martin Power supply

11. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I have two Dunlop Power bricks and they are great. 3 18v slots and 6 9v slots. Had mine for 3 - 4 years and they have never failed me yet.

12. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

I daisy chain the 8 pedals on my board off an ISO-5 - it comes down to chaining the ones that don't need as much juice, which requires some research and come trial and error.

13. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

14. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for BBE's Supa Charger here. It's cheaper (or was cheaper) than the Voodoo Lab, it easily powers the pedals that need different voltages in my forum signature, the leads are long to accommodate just about any placement of pedals on most boards, and it's beer proof. Not sure if BBE can verify the last one, but I did spill a Corona on mine on Cinco de Mayo and it never missed a beat.

15. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

16. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

you can pick up 2 Supa Chargers brand new for the sum of $180.

17. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

I have several of these. Totally the way to go for powering more than 8 pedals off the PP2+ IMO, seems like hardly anyone realizes these exist.

18. Zagnut

Zagnut Tele-Meister

19. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

I've noticed it too. I'll bet you actually read your manuals
    as well, don't you?

Oh, and "meow".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.