1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedalboard power supply HELP!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gnd567, Apr 18, 2021.

1. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I'm putting together a rockabilly/surf pedalboard and I need help finding the right power supply. I no nothing about power supplies. I'm sued to using actual tape echoes and reverb units than pedals so I need help.

I'm trying to find a way to power these three pedals:

Shure GLX6 Digital Wireless:
    GLXD16 - Wireless system for guitarists and bassists ... - Shurehttps://www.shure.com › en-US › glxd16-guitar-pedal-set

Nocturne Mystery Brain B-S301
    the-atomic-brain-mini

Surfybear Compact:
    surfybear-compact-reverb-pedal

I think the Nocturne (echo) will is just standard 9v but the surfy bear is 12v 1000ma. I can't seem to find anything.

I'm also hoping to find a low-profile power supply as this will be a small pedalboard. Can anyone help?

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good luck with that. Do you have a place you like to buy from? Sweetwater, local shop etc? They might be able to help. Give ‘em a ring tomorrow.

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The Surfy Bear comes with a power supply, I think. You may end up using that. If so, some of the wiring/plug mess can be cleaned up by getting a power supply with a 120V plug built into it...keeping the wire spaghetti at the board with just the ps cord to run to power. Happy Hunting.

Mjea80 likes this.
  4. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

I have the Power Pedal Voodoo 2 and I have no issues with it at all.

Check it out here,

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

Its got 8 outputs of isolated clean power. Also has an external output plug that you could use for that super power hungry pedal of yours.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I built myself this type of pedal board. How much DIY do you want to do?

I needed everything to fit under a Black Bird pedal board, including the spring tank. I used a Strymon Ojai, and stepped down the voltage of the link output (24v, 1A), as well as added a simple LC filter. It’s awesome, but you’ll need to make custom cables, need extra parts, etc.

By no means cheap or compact, the new VL Pedal Power 3+ has two 12v, 1A outputs, which would work easily after a quick polarity check.

Other than that, youre’ better off using a Y-cable for the IEC power cord and running the wall wart adapter.

7C00A05F-5B64-4FCE-83E0-23732882F7AD.jpeg EF9099B1-D315-40B6-B564-13E2F0F15FF5.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Mjea80 likes this.
  6. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I was looking at that power supply l. I’m concerned it will be too big as this board has only 1.75 clearance underneath.

7. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I don’t think I’ll have room for a power supply that large. I’m also not much of a DIY guy due to my vision problems. Maybe I’ll have to use the wall wart. I was really hoping to power it all off one cable.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I put a common household AC wall receptacle in my boards. I've been using two wallwarts for 6-8 pedals for 10 years or more.
    My small board for acoustic has the receptacle facing up on top. My main board has it in an aluminum riser under shown here:
    [​IMG]

Mjea80 and Killing Floor like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

@schmee has a good idea.

FYI Walrus Audio makes a board supply with a 3 prong 120V receptacle built on one side of the device. I have one and I use it sometimes. Very convenient.

I also use CIOKS Eventide supplies because they are very low profile so they fit underneath small boards.

Make sure you spend for Isolated Outputs.

10. BorderRadio

Did you read the FAQ at Surfy Bear? They list the power banks that work ‘ok’ with the Compact.

https://www.surfyindustries.com/faq

The only one that’s really low profile is the Powermax 7, a Cioks product. It’s only 500mA @12v but Surfy Bear seems to approve it anyways. Also look SB’s own power bank, OnStage. At 50 bucks, it makes sense the 100mA are daisy chained, but for a small board it might work. Tavo says the MB current draw is 71mA max, so you could run the Sure on on the 1A, but hopefully there’s no noise.

45BD6A0B-B036-4999-B72F-1872836CDDD0.jpeg D45D302C-E3B2-4BD6-9735-1266678EC910.png

11. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

+1

Mjea80 likes this.
  12. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

I didnt even know they made a pedal power 3. Thanks! I want one haha

Just last weekend I cut up an old daisy chain so I could add 2 more pedals to my board and power it off my Pedal Power 2.

This would solve all my problems... until I get more pedals..

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

Yeah, they came out with them right after I sold my PP2+ and Iso5 for a Cioks DC10 Link. That was the problem with the PP2+: they are rock solid but aren’t configured for high-current draw, compact digital pedals, which are increasingly the norm these days. The sag was cool but to be honest I never ‘sagged’ anything but the LEDs on a switcher pedal.

Mjea80 likes this.
  14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe I'm insane, but I like my Donner supplies. They are tough quiet. I have a backup because they're cheap, but don't get excited if they only last a few years (because they're cheap).

Coffeemutt and Mjea80 like this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

that sounds to easy ,where's the drama in that? it's to easy, not enough suffering involved.

Mouth likes this.
  16. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

Do you think it would be noisy?

17. BorderRadio

If you mean the OnStage, it might be a noise trap, since the MB will be daisy chained with the Sure. If you have other pedals the chances increase as well. All depends on things like where you play, etc. so theres’ no way to be certain. The Compact with the OnStage will be isolated however, and well fed, so that’s worth trying out for 50 bucks. Plus OnStage is only 3/4” tall, super small. I dislike the fact it uses a wall wart, I like to run a plain IEC cable to my boards, but something could always be rigged up for that.

I expect little to no noise from the Cioks unit.

Great combo btw, a MB and Surfy Bear are unbeatable and what I have on the board I posted above :)

18. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

I noticed amazon sells a lot of that Donner stuff. Looks pretty decent and well priced!

Coffeemutt likes this.
  19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use a Caline that cost $30 or $40 on Amazon. I have 9 pedals on my board and this works perfectly. I am sure it’s not as good as the ones that cost $150, but the one I got is perfectly adequate for my needs.

20. BorderRadio

I think people are missing the fact the OP needs a 1A, 12v output for the Surfy Bear, and preference for no wall wart on a small pedal board...

gnd567 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.