Pedalboard Design Challenge

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by BCorra, Sep 22, 2020.

1. BCorra

BCorra NEW MEMBER!

Hello all,
    I am currently designing a pedalboard for a university course. My task for this week is to ask the community for "customer needs." Therefore, I am asking you what are some things you like about your current board? What do you dislike? And what are some features you would appreciate if it was included with/on your board? I appreciate the help.

Joey Mayes and tubegeek like this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool, man. I'll play along.

I need a pedal board that is portable and light.

It should have the ability to keep my signal chain as short as possible (bypass looper switch).

Additionally, I would want something that is adequately modular so that I could change it up easily depending on the songs. I don't want to spend all night building a pedal board for the music I'm playing the next day.

There's a couple of things I can count on:

• If I am doing some sort of ringing ambient sound then I use stacked delays and a long tail reverb and a volume pedal.
    • I stack overdrives and mostly use the same stack of 2-3 so I'd want them to be modular.
    • I don't always use weird pedals like phase shifting, octave, fuzz, etc. But occassionally I do.
    • I have a core sound that I like that involves a Univibe, transparent dirt and reverb. They are always present on the board.
    Velcro is expensive and kinda wasteful and zip ties are annoying and also wasteful.

Some of my pedals perform best with isolated power, while others aren't that picky. To keep the costs down, I'd like to use both so that I've got more options to grow the board than I would if I required two isolated power supplies.

I want it all to set up and break down very quickly. Plug and play.

I like that my board is portable and its a quick set up when I'm playing. I don't like that its not adaptable, in that swapping out a pedal or two is a big decision. And pedal order becomes too much of a rigid thing.

BCorra likes this.
  3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

1) Compact - I don't want large gaps between rails.
    2) Cabling underneath / audio and power kept as separete as possible.
    3) Flexible size. Find a way to make the dimensions adjustable within a range.
    4) Light - The lighter the better.

BCorra likes this.
  4. tm1303

tm1303 Tele-Meister

Adjustable width would be cool, telescopic bars or something?

BCorra likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

yes, all of the above. Back in the days when people played live gigs, I had a weekly. Carried a light board, a pedaltrain nano+ version that held 5 or 6 pedals, depending on size. Had only 15 minutes to setup for full night's gig. It worked ok; after 10 years, you get the hang of it.

It wasn't too expensive, had a rugged nylon-canvas-ish carrying case with one serious flaw: had a carrying strap, but the rings to which the strap connected were centered in the middle of the end of the board on the bottom of the case - not the ends - which made the case kind of awkward to deal with. I think they've changed it a little, but still looks like it was designed by an accountant, not by anyone who has actually carried one. IMHO

pedaltrain case.jpg

BCorra likes this.
  6. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I want a pedal board that has connectivity with another pedal board. That way you add on and take away. Like others, I might do ambient, then add another pedal board with overdrives and vibes. Then I might get into the looping mood and want to connect another pedal board for that. Then remove the pedal boards I don't need.
    Pedal shoes, the kind you attach to pedal without removing the rubber feet or bottoms, then snap onto the pedal board.

BCorra likes this.
  7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think a tiered board with a flat section for a wah or volume is better than an angled board. Using a treadle pedal on an elevated angled surface is awkward. The power supply can fit under the second row of pedals.

Boards with integrated lids are cool. Better than a separate case.

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

1. A board that has power supply and cables underneath.
    2. IEC power jack.
    3. A patch bay with four jacks so you can plug into an effects loop or go straight in without switching wiring. 4. Rubber feet.
    5. Light.
    6. Carrying case with wheels and a telescoping handle.
    7. Ability to add an upper deck to expand.
    8. A system for separating power cords from patch cords.
    9. Many sizes, or ability to make it smaller or larger as needed.
    10. Capable of taking all sizes of pedals.
    11. Room in case for cords, power strip, strap, papers, etc.
    12. Lighting
    13. Excellent cable management but easy to change cables around as needed.

Tim S likes this.
  9. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I would be interested in seeing your design. You have to decide who your customer is and what you have to offer that goes beyond Pedaltrain, the gold standard. I would not buy gimmick hold downs or fancy wood, but some people would, especially people with money. That said, boards like that don't sell in huge numbers. Of your goal is to corner the pedalboard market you have to offer something better at a competitive price.

10. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

- Built in retaining clips on the underneath for wires to go into, avoiding the need for 'creative' use of cable ties.
    - Also underneath, an adjustable (size and position ) carrier tray to hold the power unit that doesn't require velcro to keep it in place.

:)

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That is another important element of pedal boards to consider. The power supplies are not uniform in dimensions and neither are the pedals. Now that I think about it, the heads of the 1/4 inch jacks come in varying depths as well.

41144 likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You think after ripping up and tearing down 4 or 5 boards over the last few years I'd have something insightful. I'm not that sure.

I buy Pedaltrains used, they are good deals for the money and I can mod them easily. I use velcro because why not. I add power supplies that fit (Cioks) and add IEC jacks/power switch from Amazon. I use foam clips (D-Wings) to manage cables, but also allows me to reroute and swap out quickly. I use choice cables for my crazy cramped fitments.

If one maker did a 'do it all' it would always be a compromise. Because I put the boards together myself, each board is reliable and works as expected. My over-the-top all-purpose board is color themed (again, why not) and uses a boutique type of board (Black Bird). Again, nobody sells what i want, they couldn't without limitations, so I need the freedom of choice over the one-stop-shop appeal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.