Pedalboard Challenge

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MarqueeMoon, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MarqueeMoon

MarqueeMoon TDPRI Member

Hey there,

First time poster. Got a pedal power supply challenge.

I’ve been slowly accumulating used pedals over the years, and suddenly find myself with a comically overstuffed (but very fun) pedal board. Thing is, powering it currently involves a rat’s nest of cords, which I hate.

So, how can I power the below board with the fewest power supplies? Is there something that can do all of this in one? Bonus points for not breaking the bank (it took me a while to accumulate this horde)

Boss TU-2 > Ernie Ball VP Jr. > Digitech Whammy 4 > TS-9 > EHX Epitome > EHX Big Muff Pi > Boss RV-5 > Diamond Tremolo > DL-4 > Boss DD-3

That’s the current order, but I tend to swap things around to get different sounds for different projects. Flexibility is a big plus.

I’m definitely not an expert (on anything, ever), so if there’s any other advice or tips related to this setup, I’m happy to hear it!

Cheers

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The best way to start is with a one spot. You may need two. Some say there’s a noise issue. I’ve never had s noise issue with mine.

There are more expensive boxes. And that may be your sputum. But the one spot works.

3. MarqueeMoon

MarqueeMoon TDPRI Member

I looked at the one-spot and the similar powerall - but the Epitome and Whammy aren't on their compatibility lists... which makes me nervous to use them.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

One spot are nine volt. I think the whammy is 24. You might need one of those boxes if which I have no knowledge of except those that have them love them. I’ll defer to wiser minds.

(My q-Troy is 12 volts. I just use the power supply is came with and one spot for all the 9volts.

MarqueeMoon likes this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

You can get decent brick supplies for cheap now. I have a 1-Spot but don't use it. Daisy-chain supplies don't regulate voltage that well. Blew up a tuner pedal, and my overdrive popped loudly with each press of the button when powered by the 1-Spot.

MarqueeMoon likes this.
  6. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

MarqueeMoon likes this.
  7. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

I just purchased a OneSpot Pro CS-12 from Sweetwater with a pedal train classic junior and EBS flat patch cables, it’s in the mail now so I can’t give a personal account yet. The CS 12 has 9 volt isolated power outlets with 100ma and some outlets with the higher ma needed for digital pedals like Strymon makes. The really high voltage pedals may mean you need a power strip with individual wall warts for those pedals. Some power box makers have cables available to combine power from two 9volt outlets to make one 18volt outlet but I haven’t seen a 24 volt option in a power box/brick yet.

MarqueeMoon likes this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Good strong, islolated, quiet and protected power is the biggest single investment I've made on my board. There is no good cheap way to get there imo. Its the best investment you can lavish on your pedal board. Skimp everywhere else if you have to, but not on the power!
    You have a few digitals in your lineup and if they are not isolated they will be a roar of noise. Bad power is a tone sucubus.
    If you change your board often or want to expand later, I would suggest something modular like the GigRig solution. Its small and easy to tuck under the board and its versatile and high quality.
    Good luck! let us know what solution you go with!

This is how my board is using the GigRig power supply
    Image1536124364.528933.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    MarqueeMoon likes this.
  9. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

I'd recommend a Voodoo Lab PP2+ to start. Pretty sure it'll give you enough outlet / current options to run your Boss TU-2, Ernie Ball VP Jr., TS-9, EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss RV-5, Diamond Tremolo, DL-4 and Boss DD-3. Be sure to check your polarities and current draws to match pedals to outlets and adapter cables though.

Add to that:
    • A 1-foot extension cord from the courtesy outlet on the PP2+ to your Whammy power supply; and,
    • A y-splitter power cable (pedal board suppliers can make them to whatever length you want; be sure again to check your polarities and current draws).
    Then use the y-splitter cable to power your Digitech Whammy 4 and EHX Epitome.

I run a similar setup on my pedal board, but use a w-splitter cable and power a Whammy 4, Mission VM-Pro volume pedal and DIY wah with that.

MarqueeMoon likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

One Spot CS7 or CS12.

MarqueeMoon likes this.
  11. MarqueeMoon

MarqueeMoon TDPRI Member

This is great, lots of solid suggestions here! Really appreciate it.

This for sure caught my attention (something about a modular flexibility is exciting) so I paid the $10 bucks and sent them my board.

board.JPG

Total cost for all this gear would run $417.00... and the poor Whammy 4 is out in the cold. That might be inevitable by the looks of things though.

But do I really need Iso power for 6 on my pedals? Is the difference really that noticeable?

4pickupguy likes this.
  12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

You can daisy chain the Big Muff and the TS-9 off the courtesy jack on the TU-2 to free up spots on whatever isolated unit you get - I do this without any issues. Technically you can chain the compressor in there too, but those Diamonds sound so good at 18v, it would be a shame to run it at 9 if you don't need to. I think that you probably do want an isolated unit like a Voodoo Lab PP2+ with the number of digital pedals that you're using. I was pretty surprised at how much better my board sounded with an isolated unit.

13. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I had three one spots and an individual 12 volt walwart. Very noisy and then two one spots went out within a week of each other. Bought a Truetone CS-12. No noise and plenty of power and options.

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Another convert here. I moved up to a One Spot Pro. Several outlets that are switchable to other voltages, a couple that are higher current for those pedals that have a big draw, and all sorts of cord lengths and adapters included. What surprised me is how much better some pedals sound with the isolated, filtered, regulated juice. I realized that I had starved some of pedals, especially when running several at once. Much cleaner sound overall.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

OMG yes!! Isolation is a must.
    My board went from a roar of white/clock noise to dead silent. Its crisper and cleaner tone wise as well. Many of the systems mentioned would get you there, so, its down integration functionality.
    I change stuff, so modular made sense for me.
    It is expensive but you will basque in the silence for months! You have no idea the noise a tone suck you are combating until its gone!
    Best investment you will make in your board.

16. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Well, what are the current draws of your pedals? There's a wide range (from 8 mA up to 300 mA) on my board.
    It's also vital to consider if it's all 9V DC or maybe a 12V DC pedal - not to mention AC (I once had a tube-overdrive which needed 12V AC).
    I made up a list for ALL my pedals containing voltage, DC or AC, current draw - especially if you switch pedals from time to time, it'll be a bad surprise to suddenly run out of power. Absolutely essential. Oh, and yes, isolation is a must!
    I used wallwarts up to a couple of months, but I spent quite some money in quality wallwarts. Buying low-budget wallwarts is saving money on the wrong end. Whenever I had hum and noise on my board, it was for only 4 reasons:
    1. low quality power adapter,
    2. not enough power for the amount of pedals,
    3. daisy-chaining pedals that didn't "like" each other (my Red Panda Raster obviously hates other pedals),
    4. placing a power adapter directly next to my wah-wah (for whatever strange psycho-acoustic-electro-magic reason, my Gull Wah went noisy, when I had less than about 15 cm between the wah and a wallwart)

Here you'll find a list of pedals and their current draw: http://stinkfoot.se/the-power-list

And here's a list of the most common power adapters: http://stinkfoot.se/power-supplies

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.