Pedal that adds presence, fullness, and compression

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by EETStudent, Feb 28, 2020.

1. EETStudent

EETStudent Tele-Meister

Perhaps what I am describing is too vague. It has been years since I have researched effect pedals. I am on the market for a low gain pedal that adds a touch of fullness, sparkle, and compression to create an enhanced, 3D tone. I play bright, low output single coils and I set my amplifier to generate a light touch of power amp distortion. I don't want to add much gain, nor do I want squash the tone with too much compression. I want something to help my guitar fat with great clarity without changing the fundamental character. Not interesting in spending any more than $100.

Any recommendations?

2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    Flip the switch up top to “fat”. or you could get the mini version for 50 bucks but this one’s better.

3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Reverb and delay will do that. Even chorus. Get a Boss pedal, usually under $100 each used

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

What you're describing is what several 4 knob compressors do. They all go for about twice what you're looking to spend though.

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Hmm. Under $100 rules out anything I was going to suggest.

If you're even a little handy you could try buying an Eric Clapton mid boost kit but instead of putting it in your guitar put it in a pedal enclosure. That can fatten up your general sound without adding too much gain.

Compression is an effect I'm not overly familiar with (as stand alone effect) usually any "Compression" I have is a by product of something else I'm doing, so I'm not going to pretend I have any useful info on that.

For adding fullness, sparkle, 3D tone I would have suggested either an E.P. Booster which you likely can buy used for around $100 or a Chase Tone "Secret Preamp".

Both of those pedals have done wonders for me.

The Southampton 5th Gear is a low gain pedal that ads a lot to your overall tone.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, this is what good compressors do. You might find an old Keeley 4 knob on eBay close to your budget.

Telecaster88, VerySlowHand and JL_LI like this.
  8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Donner Boost Killer. $29

stormsedge likes this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

There's about a million pedals that might do what you're look for. A cleanish boost, overdrive, or compression pedal can all do what you're describing.

For a reasonable price maybe try a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. I think they run around $120 new, but you can easily find good quality used model for $60-75. It's basically a tubescreamer style OD, but has a cool feature that allows you to blend the overdriven tone with a clean boosted tone. This way you get some of the midrange girth from the TS while still keeping the clarity from the clean boosted signal. And it's cheap!

Good luck.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Bad Monkey or MojoMojo

11. Penguin

Penguin TDPRI Member

My favorite pedal is a BJFE Sea Blue EQ. It does everything you are looking for. It’s an all-in-one “sound better” button. The Bearfoot Sea Blue is great, too, close to the same. You can use it to tune your rig to a room, balance between different guitars, and it has an amazing console type crunch with the gain pushed. I run 2! One as a drive/boost and the other as an EQ for humbucker guitars.

I’ve heard the Pale Green Compressor is similar if you’re looking for more compression. The kind of thing you can’t turn off.

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have a Joyo Audio JF-10 Dynamic Compressor on my input side that I pretty much leave on...and a Donner Boost Killer at the end of my FX loop (used occasionally). To me, the Joyo really fills in the sound, perhaps meeting your fullness, sparkle and compression requirement. They were less than $40 each.

13. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Give an Ibanez BB9 Bottom Booster a try - its not at all how the name sounds - I have used it to thicken single coils with a little sparkle on top - it does a nice job.

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

JHS Prestige would fit the bill.

15. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

Used xotic SP

EETStudent likes this.
  16. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Keeley four knob, or the MXR Dyna Comp Deluxe. Under $100 would be tough, but sounds like you want a compressor pedal with a blend knob. I got my Dyna Comp Deluxe new on sale for $129. I love it, never turn it off. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    EETStudent likes this.
  17. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Used Wampler mini-ego compressor.

EETStudent likes this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are just so many. Any overdrive pedal and almost any distortion pedal will do this.

Narrow down to whether you want one with flat mids or one that pushes mids somehow.

In your price range (which is more than sufficient):

- DOD Overdrive Preamp 250
    - Boss Blues Driver
    - Boss SD-1
    - Maxon or Ibanez Tube Screamer
    - ProCo Rat
    - Boss OD3
    - Numerous Klon Klones

They all add varying degrees of compression.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Depends on your hearing of presence and sparkle.

The ZVex Distortron is built around their SHO circuit which does something with the impedance that adds a crazy sparkle thing that's not just treble or mids.
    With the rest of the circuit you get some grit but with the output up and gain down it is nice and clean. Then there's a gain switch and a subs (bass) switch plus a tone knob.
    For your longer description this might be perfect, and they are well under $100 used.

True that a good compressor might do what you ask but I'm not sure I'd buy a whole compressor when compression wasn't really my goal. I hate compressors but good ones can set subtle enough to sound OK to me.
    Why buy a compressor though if I don't want compression?
    There are good answers but the question is still valid.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Joyo American Sound Will do it. It's kinda of a 3 knob EQ with built in OD. Keep the OD pretty much off. $39
    But I highly recommend an Ibanez TS9DX (again!) Put it on Turbo mode for big full clean bottom end, put the Gain on 0. BAM!

Telecaster88 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.