Pedal steel with no tension

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by artr, Nov 21, 2019.

1. artr

artr TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I just bought a pedal steel, a Zumsteel stage one, and with it came a pack of strings. So I took the strings off the steel, and then realized that inside the pack of strings were just normal guitar strings.

So my question is, can I leave the steel with no strings on for a couple of days, or should I put some tension on it? I wouldn´t leave a guitar with no tension on the neck for a long period of time, but is pedal steel different?

2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

It'll be fine. To be honest I often have guitars awaiting repair jobs that go months without string tension and it's never worried me or made any noticeable difference when strung back up. If it's a refinish it's going to be months from start to finish before any strings are going near it. But pedal steels are big solid things, so even if you're worried leading a regular guitar there's a very stiff, immovable frame on a steel in place of the guitar neck.

howardlo likes this.
  3. artr

artr TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot Jay! that puts my mind at ease..

jayyj likes this.
  4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Hi artr... Welcome to TDPRI!

I thought it was worth mentioning, you also might want to visit steelguitarforum.com. People there are very experienced, and can give you good answers to any steel guitar related questions.

5. artr

artr TDPRI Member

Thanks David.. I´ll head over and check it out

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

It will be fine - and congrads on the Zum. I've got a Simmons E9 3/4. Its waiting for a full up country project to materialize. I love it, but too too much trouble to tote, assemble, tune, disassemble, tote for two tunes...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

All the reasons typically given for not leaving a 6string unstrung dont apply to a steel, pedal or otherwise.

Just don't let people use it as a table....

And congrats on the steel. I can barely figure out what I'm doing on a console steel, so hats off the pedal players.

T-Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.