pedal steel hardware?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dimitree, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Dimitree

Dimitree TDPRI Member

can anyone have some recommendation about pedal steel hardware? Specially the bridge with the levers..
    I'd like to build one (of course just buying one is not fun), like a Sho-Bud, 10 strings I think.
    I really love Daniel Lanois sound/technique, and a pedal steel is essential for that sound

2. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Your best bet is the Steel Guitar Builders group on Facebook. Or else the https://bb.steelguitarforum.com group if you do not do Facebook. You will have to look around and get the lay of the land.
    However, it is not like making electric guitars where there are plenty of suppliers of various parts. Although pickups are available there is no one, to my knowledge, making changers, endplates or pedals. It might be that some companies will sell you parts, but they won't come in cheap.
    There are a number of European makers, and they would probably be your best starting point.
    If you are handy with 3D drawing it might be an idea to draw your own parts and get them made for you, but for the instrument to work really well your tolerances need to be very high.
    There are also some "instruction books" (usually CD-ROMS) available. It you are handy with metalwork it might be possible to do some pretty heavy reading and get one of these books. However, be warned that the books tend to have rather unconventional techniques.
    What is sadly lacking is a really good technical drawing to get all the information from and decide your best move from there.
    Good luck with it!

muscmp likes this.
  3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Search “How to build a pedal steel guitar”.

Also Steel Guitar Forum, as above, is a good place with helpful friendly folks.

Good luck.

muscmp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.