Pedal purge

ChrisLarcombe

Tele-Meister
Selling some of my pedals! Need advice on what to replace them with..

I play a lot of old style country, but also some pretty driven pop stuff.

Going to get rid of my Way Huge Camel Toe. I use the green rhino side usually, and then put it in series mode with the llama side when I want things to kick off.

I'd like to find a more tame, classic 60's-esque drive that will will just crunch up my signal a bit for the country stuff. I want to focus on clarity and dynamics, as I do a lot of faster Clarence White style chicken picking and slower honky tonk stuff.

Maybe also a second drive to layer on top of this, or just use instead for the pop stuff? A dynamic, fairly thick tone is what I'm after. I only use tele's.

What would people recommend?

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
I'd 100% recommend the Greer Lightspeed and the Browne Protein. The Protein is an ODR-1 on one side and Bluesbreaker on the other. The Lightspeed is similar to the Timmy but I find it more responsive and amp like.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Selling some of my pedals! Need advice on what to replace them with.. [...]
more_pedals.png

tonfarbe

Tele-Afflicted
I'd 100% recommend the Greer Lightspeed and the Browne Protein. The Protein is an ODR-1 on one side and Bluesbreaker on the other. The Lightspeed is similar to the Timmy but I find it more responsive and amp like.
+ 1 for a Greer Lightspeed

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
+1 Protein meets a lot of need. Very versatile. Even at it's highest gain it is not too wild. The full range of both sides is useable and you can stack if desired.

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
Honestly, it sounds like you might just want to try out a simple boost like the Earthquaker Arrows pedal. It attenuates the upper midrange and is just a magical ‘sound good’ pedal. And it’s only got one knob.

runstendt

Tele-Holic
You might want to check out Analog Alien. Quite a few of their pedals have two effects, such as fuzz and overdrive. I use a pedal called the Fuzz Bubble, and I can get a wide enough range of sounds out of it.

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
I'd like to find a more tame, classic 60's-esque drive that will will just crunch up my signal a bit for the country stuff. I want to focus on clarity and dynamics, as I do a lot of faster Clarence White style chicken picking and slower honky tonk stuff.
Nobels ODR-1 for around $100.
Nordland ODR-C (hand-made, boutique version of the above, with more tonal control) for around $225.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
I recently added the Wampler Belle for a second OD option on my board. I could not fit a full-size box, so the small format was a win. It supposedly shares the sonic palate and response of the Nobels, but adds a bass control. Those tiny knobs are likely to send twiddlers around the bend, but I set it and forget it.
My “main” OD is a Barber Gain Changer. This is my favorite dirt box of all time. It is extremely versatile. If I had to keep it to one box, it’s the winner.
These are used for Americana & Alt Country material. Both are winners (for me).
Twang on…

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
Going to get rid of my Way Huge Camel Toe. I use the green rhino side usually, and then put it in series mode with the llama side when I want things to kick off.

That Camel Toe is Mike Campbell's go-to so probably finding people on this forum looking for that sound would jump all over it.

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted
Selling some of my pedals! Need advice on what to replace them with..

I play a lot of old style country, but also some pretty driven pop stuff.

Maybe also a second drive to layer on top of this, or just use instead for the pop stuff? A dynamic, fairly thick tone is what I'm after. I only use tele's.

We have similar tastes. If not neccesarily in genre, but in tone and Tekes.
What amp(s) are you using? Before spending money on another pedal, it could be helpful to spend some time going commando ~ guitar straight into amp. I do that once in awhile just to get reacquainted with all of the sounds available without pedals. I use a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket and a Silverface Pro Reverb.

Lately, I’ve been getting the tones you’re describing with a DOD 410 Bifet Boost > Fulltone Fat Boost I or iI > Chase Tone Secret Pre. I can just leave all three on and use the Tele’s volume knob.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
I use Fender amps and with single coil guitars, have found my Timmy to work great for that "more of your amp" sound. Haven't tried the MXR Timmy.
Also, a King of Tone clone (Hot Box Dual Drive) I picked up from Amazzon works great with either single coil or humbuckers.