pedal power choices??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by indiobravo, Apr 12, 2013.

1. sagaci

sagaci Tele-Meister

I have a PT-JR and PP2+ with a 6 stomps and a wah with the PP2+ mounted underneath. It's a sweet setup but I think if I were to set another PT-JR up I'd mount a fuel tank junior on the top side and just run 5 standard 9v pedals up the top. I like space on my pedalboard and no tiptoe to switches. Depends on the pedal needs though.

2. JHall55

JHall55 Tele-Meister

I've got a PP2+ right now. It's never let me down. I'll be upgrading to a PP Mondo shortly.

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone using the Cioks? On paper it looks like the best of the bunch..

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

Not all T-Rex PSU have fully isolated taps. The "Classic" has 9V taps that are not isolated but daisy chained.

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

I have 3 Cioks units for my boards. They are just releasing thei latest versions of their original PSU at the end of April/May. The AC Rider, ittle John and Schizophrenic were daisy chained type power supplies originally, now their latest versions will have isolated taps and can be linked together to make a "custom" PSU for each individual's needs. Prices will be from $119-139. Check them out: Cioks.com

6. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

I guess I need to sit down and work this out myself but does anyone know what'll power a Strymon Timeline, a Möbius and about 7 other low ma 9v pedals easily. The two Strymons are 9v 300ma.

Will the Cioks DC10 (or ***** Power) or T-Rex Chameleon cover this reliably?

7. brommers

brommers TDPRI Member

Take a look at this page http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

It lists the ma of each output on these supplies. Looks like the DC10 is your best option with 2 x 300ma pedals.

8. Davecoleaus

Davecoleaus TDPRI Member

The dc10 is probably a pretty good bet. I was in the market for a power supply recently and I came very close to buying a cioks, the only think that stopped me was they are quite big compared to some other power supplies, and the actual power cables they use are unique to their brand so if they die you have to go through them for a replacement, unlike all of the other ps units which use a standard cable.

Check out the decibel 11 hot stone deluxe. I don't know how much they are in the US but in Australia, it gave me 10 isolated uputs and all of the same capabilities as the dc10 (including two high current outputs which will power your strymons) for around a hundred dollars less ($260 vs $350ish). It got rid of buzzes I didn't realise could be gotten rid of, is smaller and uses standard cables. It will come very close to covering the needs you have described if you can power two of your pedals on 12 volt.

9. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. Really cool.

I've not seen those Decibel 11 power supplies before but they look to meet my needs at a much lower cost. I guess I could daisy chain a couple of the lower ma ones too.

They don't have any Irish dealers yet so I'll have to source one from the UK or eBay but yeah, it's going to work out around €80/100 cheaper than the Cioks and provides more options than the T-Rex.

Thanks again!

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks.. Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe seems to be the way to go.

11. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just replaced a 1spot for the pedals and a separate 12v power supply for the NEO Ventilator with a VL Iso5. It dropped my noise floor a bunch. If you've got a NEO you have to make sure you have the polarity right. A big improvement to the whole rig for pretty cheap. I'll keep the one spot in the bag for a backup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.