1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedal people: Why have you avoided multi-effects processors?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by trxx, Feb 26, 2021.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I've done both. When I started playing guitar I had a DOD multi-fx that I loved. It was great for home recordings on my 4-track, and I used it live a few times too, but cycling through the banks wasn't always practical live and when it died, I started buying individual pedals.

A few years ago, after starting a band again, I sold most of the pedals, and bought a Digitech RP360 with an expression pedal. It has some great sounding pedal models in it and can be set up like a small pedal board, but ultimately I had a few issues that again made it impractical for gigs: 1) Some of the better sounding distortion models sounded fizzy at higher levels, 2) you could only use one type of effect in each bank (so I couldn't use two different modulation effects at the same time even in pedal board mode), and 3) a lot of the OD models were maxed out at unity or slightly above so there wasn't enough of a volume boost when using them which just sort of made them disappear with the whole band playing.

Now I'm back to a small board. I loved how convenient the RP360 was, especially the expression pedal. But the individual pedals have worked better for me. I still have the RP360. With it's amp models and cab sims, it is a good, portable back up if my amp goes down during a gig.

lousy13 likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The only gear failures I’ve experienced on stage have involved pedals. When it’s not working it can be hard to diagnose too. A loose connection, a knob zeroed out... twice I’ve had the guitar lead get into the pedals and turn knobs mid tune. Once it all went silent and i had to wait for lights on to find the culprit.

Knobs get kicked too and you don’t have the amazing benefit of patches if covering a broad range of stuff.

Then there is the joy of displaying ‘ass crack’ to the beautiful backing singers as you fiddle your settings between numbers.

Reivaj likes this.
  3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

There was a time when my pedalboard was a lot bigger and more complex, and a multi may have helped to simplify things.

One of the issues back then, for me, was I would rotate some pedals in and out, that I could find no equivalent of in a multi, especially since I've been building and using my own pedals for quite a few years now.

But having a multi now is a moot point, because my pedalboard is simple. All I have on the board is a tuner, a boost, an OD, a delay, and a reverb pedal. Most or all of those pedals get rotated out for a different flavor, and I'd hate to have to reprogram a multi to sound analogous to whatever I might have swapped out.

Then there are the times that I add a fuzz to the chain. To date, I've only heard one fuzz in a multi that I liked, and that was the one in my ancient Zoom 505, and it only really did one kind of abstracted fuzz tone.

RetroTeleRod and Junco Partner like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am a mentor to Ned Ludd. Choice paralysis and option confusion set in very quickly for me. I often just want a compressor, a wah, an overdrive, a delay, a fuzz and a reverb. More often than that, just a delay and tremolo. Always an easy to switch and see tuner. Individual pedals suit me better. I am a simple creature. My brow is low, my knuckles drag, I yell at clouds.

Flip : The bassist and sometime guitar player I often play with uses a BossME-80 and he can set it up in a variety of ways in a matter of seconds. He always sounds great too.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Separate pedals give you choice of sound in each.
    Still, there are some combos that get you good enough...

6. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Yea, I never understood that mentality. As a guitar player, the sound has to be good enough for me, no one else. If the argument is that the audience can't tell the difference, then the player is the only person who matters anyway.

Junco Partner likes this.
  7. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

however, to diminish my own post (above) if I used, let’s say, more than four or five pedals, I think again I’d jump back to a multi. Like the Zoom Gn series maybe.

8. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

Two of my amps are digital processor types but I set them up for different amp types not the effects. For my effects I use pedals and some of them have multi settings. If I used a digital multi effects unit I would be to concerned about it breaking and having no effects. I have three amps so if one breaks I can use one of the others. And if I had to have three multi effects units it would cost more than my three amps.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

A multi-effects with just modulation, delay and reverb might be okay but dirt effects are lacking.
    Even then there implementation is usually too complex.
    I don’t want to scroll through menus and screens with endless parameters I don’t understand.

10. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

If only I had a fraction of Marr’s talent

Mike M, Reivaj and Jakedog like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Multis can be great. I had a Boss and the effects didn’t do it for me and I broke the multi purpose foot pedal.

Multi units like from Hologram or Line 6 or Zoom can be great.

I use some SA pedals on my midi board. I’m not calling them Multi but a totally flexible synth or a chorus that’s also a phaser and vibrato and flange, combining them with a call switch gets me in the neighborhood of a single multi.

12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

If a multieffect is ok for king Johnny is also ok for me, a tremolo is just a tremolo :D:D:D, to be honest if we are talking about modulations, delays and reverbs i don't hear that much difference between single pedals and multieffects, i'm talking about standard effects nothing too exotic.

Il love my Boss Ms 3, i would want to put it side by side blindfolded with some classic Boss single pedals and tell the difference, i paid it 275 euro secon hand and i've got all the effects that i want, plus all benefits that a multieffect has.

Tcreek73, Jakedog and MilwMark like this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

That's why I really like the Boss ME-80. It's all right there and it's built like a tank.

timbgtr and Jakedog like this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Boss ME80, a TC Electronic Nova System, and a small board with individual pedals. They all have their pros and cons.

Reivaj, lousy13, codamedia and 3 others like this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s definitely the most user friendly straight-up pedal style interface.

E5RSY, MilwMark and fjblair like this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I've been through Dumas, Texas more than once - and there's more than one way to pronounce it, no disrespect, uh, intended.

I just don't see the need to find a one-size fits all solution - with regard to what works for me in contrast to whatever works for you.

Yeah, Mr. Bonamassa suggests using your guitar knobs more; but then again, Mr. Bonamassa also says, and I quote: "Everybody uses pedals. Everybody likes pedals. Me, too."

I've seen all of it come it good (and I haven't seen nearly as much as plenty of other players) with all the different variations.

Plugged straight in. Modest pedalboard. Massive pedalboard. Simplified mulit-fx, multi-plex modeling rocket technology. Had a fiddle player in one band who used a pod and could make his fiddle sound almost like a flute. Might have been his best tone. (I kid, he was fine, classically trained, had sweet tone but he was a grumpy-assed swede who occasionally crop-dusted the stage. So I helped him drink his beers. Free beer! pre-C19, of course)

Yeah, I've had a time or two with a pedalboard problem in mid-flight. Once was my own dumbassery, volume knob zeroed out, and the other was a cable. I just pulled the lead out and plugged straight in.

The sun came up the next day.

I have fun with pedals - I'm pretty much delighted when something fun happens. First time I stepped on an organ synth, the bass player fell over laughing. That was fun.

I realize I "should" take this more seriously, but yeah, no.

17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That video broke my heart. I am working with a counselor to help me pretend it never happened.

Why, Johnny, why?

18. Flaps

Flaps TDPRI Member

I think pedals are cool. They can be a relatively cheap way to play around with your sound.

RetroTeleRod and Lawdawg like this.
  19. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Because I never played gigs in a cover band until recently.

Now that I do, I might get one. Still on the fence though.

20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I haven't avoided them - I embrace them. I use an old Digitech RP500. I have a total of $50 in it, and it does what I need it to. I also have another RP350 maybe?

5 effects at once, but only 1 choice of each. Pretty easy to set up several sets of 5 adjacent to each other, especially with the computer software. There's a wide range of choices - serviceable drives, distortions, fuzz, etc., good modulations, reverbs, and delays, and plenty of weird stuff.

I get a drive, reverb, and delay sound I like, and use those as a base, with a different modulation effect (i.e. tremolo, envelope follower, flanger) in each set. I have 5 different setups next to each other, so I'm always within 4 clicks of what I want.

Tweaking on stage is an issue - requires a flashlight and reading glasses. Also, the whole thing could crap out and leave me dependent on my amp and my playing to survive. (GASP!)

I would like to build a board with separate pedals, and get into the whole pedal chasing thing, but I don't have the disposable income, or talent, or gigs to justify it. I find myself eyeing used multis all the time, but I never see what I would consider good deals on used individual pedals. Someday, I'll probably spring for some Joyo or Behringer stuff and go from there - especially if we have to keep finding ways to entertain ourselves at home.

Mxrk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.