Pedal Parts

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by rocknerd, Jul 18, 2019.

1. rocknerd

rocknerd TDPRI Member

Hey guys! I'm wanting to start building/prototyping DIY pedals. Can any one point me in a good direction to find all the goodies needed to build the circuits? Are there any "starter kits" that will have a good selection of transistors, IC's, capacitors, resistors, etc.? Any pointers would be great!

2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I started by getting a couple of resistor and capacitor kits from Amazon, "Joe Knows Electronics", plus a kit each of diodes, LEDs (3mm multiple colors) and trimmers. I picked up some more from Small Bear, oddball resistor values and film capacitors. They have chip kits too.

I still use parts from all those kits, but I've found that ordering certain common values of resistors and caps from Mouser is probably the most cost effective. Ordering 500-1000 1K resistors makes sense with bulk purchasing.

Inevitably, you'll run into a value you don't have, and in some cases may use less than half a dozen over 40 pedal builds and have to put in a quick order with eBay. I needed one 56nF film cap for my current build (Madbean Fritter) and got a dozen for a couple of bucks in two days with free shipping.

Stick with Mouser, Small Bear, Pedalhacker, DIY Pedals, PedalPCB, Mammoth etc. for transistors and ICs, especially FETs and MOSFETs. Many through hole devices are obsolete, and the stuff on eBay may or may not be genuine (though it may still work). Tayda is another source though shipping from Thailand isn't the speediest. I'm gonna give Arrow Electronics a shot for my next passives order since they sponsor IndyCar and I'm a fan. There are also breakout boards for common obsolete FETs like J201s, 2N5457's etc that you can adapt SMD devices with.

For specialty parts (germanium transistors/diodes, BBDs, optocouplers) and Alpha 16mm pots I use Small Bear. Pedalhacker has neat new old stock stuff which I tend to buy even when I don't need anything, just because I figure I'll use it down the road and add to my stash of germaniums. Whenever I see common values of tropical fish caps I get them too LOL.

I was painting my own enclosures, but it's a lot easier and not that much more expensive to use Mammoth for powder coated boxes. I was using Testors lacquer, good stuff but not cheap and the amount of labor to prep the boxes just wasn't worth it. Occasionally I'll go to Pedal Parts Plus for colors I can't get on Mammoth.

Check out Tagboard Effects for just about any Vero/perfboard layout you might want, though I've found 99% of what I've wanted to build from all the different DIY PCB sources. It's a great time to be a builder with Madbean, PedalPCB, FuzzDog, Rullywow, General Guitar Gadgets, Aion, 1776 Effects, Nucleon, TH Custom, BYOC, Guitar PCB, and for the really offbeat circuits, DeadEnd Fx. I know I'm forgetting some, plus there's the great resources at RunOffGroove, DIYStompboxes, Freestompboxes, Fuzz Central, AMZ-FX, Geofex, whew.

I hope others will chime in too, welcome to the madness :D

Z

rocknerd, D'tar and ClashCityTele like this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Tayda for everything you can get from them. Small bear for the rare/expensive/germanium.

When I started I got a kit of 20 each of the full range of 1/4w resistors. Those can be a good deal but sometimes they aren't, you have to do the math. Same thing with caps. Shop around on Amazon.

Pots, ICs etc don't seem to make sense to buy in grab bag kits. To many options so generic kits won't have what you end up actually needing and anyone selling kits specific to guitar pedals is probably going to hose you on the price.

rocknerd and zippofan like this.
  4. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I like BuildYourOwnClone.com too. I have a couple of their "Li'l" series boards for some future projects (fit in a 1590A "Twinkie"-size enclosure!)

For stock discrete products (resistors, capacitors, common current transistors, etc...) I typically use Mouser Electronics or Digi-Key. Other good sites are Newark Electronics (newark.com) and Allied Electronics.

A great site for materials and hardware is McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com)

I like the powder coated enclosures from Mammoth (pre-drilled at Mammoth, too!) and Tayda.

5. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

A couple other electronics sites that cater to hobbyist types:

Marlin P. Jones and Associates (mpja.com) - Good source for parts assortments, odd-ball components, tools and test equipement. Be sure to check out their Closeouts and Weekly Sale Items.

Jameco Electronics (jameco.com) - Has long been a friend of the hobby electronics enthusiast, even back when Mouser and Digi-Key would only sell to businesses!

rocknerd likes this.
  6. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Oh, and here's a really fun site where you'll never know what you'll find: American Science and Surplus (sciplus.com). Weird and wonderful, and not just electronics!

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

For boards, I've been seeing ones made in Israel pop up frequently for like $10-$12 on various sites (also ebay).
    Small bear seems to be excellent for many things like germanium and op chips.

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Blms ... pedalpartsplus ... mammoth ... banzai

9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Sparkfun and Velleman are two more I forgot to add. Velleman runs the gamut from cool little gadgets to serious gear, I built a hi-fi preamp and tuner from them as kits years ago, about as close to the detail as the old Heathkit as you'll find today. I replaced them with NOS Hafler kits I found, just because, well, David Hafler :cool: They have some assortments to get you going.

I have a function generator I built from Velleman that just needs to be boxed up one of these days.

Also, I just picked up a bunch of PCBs from FuzzDog for a little over $5 apiece, the exchange rate with the USD must be favorable right now. PCBs usually run around $10 or so from various vendors. I'm looking forward to that package (and the eye roll from Mrs Z lol).

rocknerd likes this.
  10. rocknerd

rocknerd TDPRI Member

I totally understand the eye rolls form the Mrs. :)

Thanks for all the great tips, guys! I can't wait to get started.

zippofan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.