Pedal Order Help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DirectorDisch, Jan 25, 2020.

1. DirectorDisch

DirectorDisch TDPRI Member

Hello Friends,

I'm really struggling to hammer down an signal chain for my pedals. All of this is going into a 65 PRRI. Here's what I've got, any advice?

Catalinbread Echorec
    Dunlop 535q Wah
    Hudson Broadcast Dual Switch
    JHS Unicorn
    Orange Fur Coat
    Origin Cali76 Compact Deluxe
    TC Corona
    TC Ditto Looper
    TC Polytune 3
    TC Spark Boost

I use the amp's built in reverb, but rarely the built in trem. Thanks for any help.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I usually go with:

- Wah and/or germanium fuzz or boost before anything else, because they need an unbuffered signal
    - Dedicated buffer (I prefer to be explicit about it, and not just figure that one of the pedals will have a good one)
    - Tuner
    - Compression
    - OD
    - Modulation
    - Delay
    - Trem
    - Reverb
    - Looper
    - Amp ABY

Something like that. Non-ge boost may go towards the end.

Obsessed and Ex-riverman like this.
  3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

The good news is, you can do what works for your taste, and you can't really screw it up.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Experiment. See what works to your ears.

I'm running:.fuzz(muff)->OD(soulfood)->chorus (small clone)->delay (ad999)

The only general things there isn't an advantage of putting later in the chain is tuner/volume pedals. Those in front is better.

Chorus, delay, modulation, etc goes best towards the end, in my experience.

People will say fuzz before distortion before od, but it's up to your ears. Fuzz first has always sounded best to me, other varieties of dirt give different, usable, sounds in different combinations.

I'd put the looper in the back., echorec right before. Experiment with everything else.

5. DirectorDisch

Thanks. I think the majority of my confusion comes from where to put the unicorn and the compressor. Otherwise, I think I'm going
    Tuner - Fuzz - Wah - Broadcast - Boost - Chorus - Echorec - Looper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Univibes usually work best after fuzz and before touch-responsive/amplike overdrives, for the full Hendrix/Trower effect.

Comp pedals are pretty quiet nowadays so they can be used either before or after drive. Try both ways and see which you prefer.

I'd run fuzz > wah > tuner at the beginning. Many tuners incorporate a buffer, and fuzz/wah will often sound much better when first in line. Old school fuzzface/tonebender types especially will give much better cleanup via the guitar's volume knob without a buffer between them and the pickups - those iconic Jimi semicleans when you roll back...

moosie likes this.
  7. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What he said - fuzz and wah may have to be first due to buffer issues. A lot prefer to have wah completely off the board and possibly modded to be completely out of the chain when off.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back when I was into having a fuzz or three on the board, I set them up in a loop, controllable by a footswitch. Off, the pedals were not even there, electrically. Possibly no different than true bypass, but very much depends on the pedal. This way there wasn't even the length of cable running through the fuzzes to care about.

Turn it on, and I'd have whatever fuzz, whatever levels, I had pre-set. All before tuner, buffer, everything. Easy to do with something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 09.21.50 AM.png

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

10. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I usually end up with a lineup like this but I encourage you to try things where people say they don’t belong. Especially your modulation effect. A flange/ phase/ chorus all sound completely different before or after dist/OD.

Fuzz
    Wah
    Univibe/ phaser
    OD into Comp or Comp into OD
    Dist
    Chorus/ other mod
    Delay
    Verb
    Looper

11. DirectorDisch

Thanks. One more question. Any thoughts on where to put the tuner? I usually put it at the 1st spot, but then I had this thought of putting it at the end, and that way it could also work as a kind of kill switch.

12. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I have mine at the front & it works as a 'kill switch'.

13. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I put mine at the end or at least close to the end to kill any possible irritating noises before and after a song or if we are simply just taking a break....my bandmates followed suit shortly after. Anywhere it makes you happy should be fine though.

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

The tuner can go anywhere except before your buffer sensitive pedals(if it isn't true bypass) and be a kill switch.
    I have my setup as Wah, compressor(true bypass doesn't affect anything after when off), fuzz, chorus, dual overdrive/boost, volume pedal (used as kill switch), then a delay. If you want to keep your delays going to their natural end after you hit the kill switch, put it before your delay. Same for reverb if you have a reverb pedal. This is all subject to change if I get inspired to start experimenting, which brings me to my recommendation. Start with a standard formula type order, and especially if stuff isn't getting you excited, try experimenting, and even try to things that are "wrong" according to the internet.
    With my setup I can boost the fuzz with the compressor, and get an aggressive bright sound with tons of sustain, or boost after the fuzz which gives a meatier dark sound. Or I can use the Fuzz alone and ride the volume for anything from cleanish/boost/overdrive to fuzz. The compressor, clean boost, and moderate overdrive can also be used solo or stacked in various combos. I will usually have the clean boost slightly darker than the overdrive with the pedal tone knobs. The two of them stack well for a sort of crunchy Marshall/rock sound. Clean boost into moderate overdrive. The compressor is neutral tonewise.
    I tried drive before and after the chorus, and I sort of like both, so some of my drive/boosts are before and some after.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.