1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedal order conundrum

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by cowie86, Dec 25, 2019.

1. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Hi all, happy holidays, I'm just hoping to get some opinions on the below...

I've been happily using my guitar into a multi fx unit for drive, delay and verb then into a clean amp for a while now. I've just got a Ammoon American Sound amp sim pedal for Christmas so now I want to run that into the return of the fx loop on my amp, which works fine.

But where would you place my multi fx unit now? If it were just for delay and reverb I'd put it after the amp sim, if it were just for dirt I'd put it before, but it's actually doing all three.

Sometimes I'll be running the amp sim pedal quite dirty so I don't want to distort all my delays by putting the multi fx before. But putting the multi fx after would mean running the finished pre amp sound into the drive section of my multi fx.

As I say, any of your opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks : )

2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe try a LS-2 boss switcher. You can hook them up then in such a way you can bypass things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowie86 likes this.
  3. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I’d put it before amp sim to start but it doesn’t take long to try both.

cowie86 likes this.
  4. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I would spend hours playing around with it to find out how I liked it best. Then, when my friends come over, I would make them listen to several different arrangements.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You are going to end up with the amp sim last. It is okay to have verb and delay beforehand and it will sound pretty natural that way too.

The LS-2 is a great pedal to use if the amp sim is not true bypass, but otherwise, it should not be an issue.

cowie86 likes this.
  6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Multi-fx --->Amp Sim--->Clean amp.

Obsessed and cowie86 like this.
  7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I would try to use the amp sim to get your base tone, and the multifx as a boost/overdrive to push the amp sim harder when needed:

Multifx-->Amp sim-->Amp Just find if the amp sim is better in front of the amp or in the fx loop.

Maybe you can bypass the preamp of your amplifier and plug your guitar-->multiFX-->Amp sim--->loop return (that's the power amp in)

cowie86 likes this.
  8. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Thanks very much to every one for your suggestions. I ended up going with...

Guitar > pre amp pedal > multi effects unit (which I'm not going to use for drive anymore) > the fx return on my amp.

Reasons for this
    1. Didn't want the drive section of the multi fx to come after the pre amp pedal because it was reshaping the tone too much.
    2. The delay/reverb section of my multi fx sounded very slightly better after the pre amp than before.
    3. The multi fx unit is fairly cheap and small so I will probably by another to use before the pre amp for drives.

Thank you again to everyone who replied, your suggestions steered me towards this set up which I think I'll be really happy with! :)

LowCaster likes this.
  9. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

that's exactly what i would have done.

when i was using a multi effects box i also ran the 4 cable method because the multi effects had a loop in it. so -
    guitar into multi effects box
    multi send to front of amp
    amp preamp out (amp effects loop out) to multi box return
    multi box out to power amp (amp effects loop return)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.