Hades

TDPRI Member
so a little background. I am a acoustic guy, I use to play in a band and I did use a electric guitar with a awesome marshal stack, but all that has changed now. I recently moved into a small place and just bought a nice small amp that does not take up space. I have never used guitar pedals before with my setup. I have put together a tinny pedal board myself. I am now looking to fill it with 4 pedals. I know for a fact I am going to buy the DIG Strymon. I messed with that one a bit before and I thought it was fun to play with. So now I am looking for a nice hard rock distortion sound, a phaser cuz once again they cool to mess with, and the last one I am all ears for not sure on what to get. I don't really have a budget yet on how much I want to spend, but I am sure once I add up the price of the pedals I'll know if I willing to drop the cash. haha

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
151508000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Hades

TDPRI Member
Oh!!!! hahaha see I am so out of the loop with pedals, I never heard of this one! haha

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Great thing about the Rat you can go from a mild blues overdrive up through hard rock tones and finally into a fusion fuzz. Very versatile pedal...and they're not expensive either!

ticklemetele

TDPRI Member
I'll throw my opinion out there. I would go with a "marshall in a box" type pedal. Zvex Box of rocks, Jhs angry charlie or charlie brown, marshall guv'nor (original, not the 2). All of them are pretty available on the used market sans the marshall guv'nor.

Enjoy the tone quest, if you buy used it's pretty easy to flip pedals until you find what you are looking for.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Once you've got distortion, delay and phaser covered my next suggestion would be a tremolo pedal. There are tons of choices, but the Boss TR-2 is a nice basic trem pedal that won't break the bank. It's even more affordable used. Since you dig Green Day, check out the setting at 1:15...

Ira7

Doctor of Teleocity
For the money, you can't beat the Behringer Vintage Phaser.

It's dirt cheap, but we sure ain't talking mini. It's a huge hunk of steel.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
+1 for the Rat!

I got nothing on the Phaser... Not a sound I would use. But, somehow I've ended up with two flangers (that will probably never see gigging board time, but are fun to play with every now and again) - an Electroharmonix Electric Mistress I've had for 10 years and a Boss BF-2 I just go in a trade. Maybe a used Boss phaser? I hear good things about the MXR Phasers.

The fourth spot I would most go for is a Delay. Analog or Digital. Or a Reverb? The MXR Carbon Copy is the delay on my board currently. I love the way it sounds, and they are not expensive new or used. I also have a Dan Echo that I love, but don't always trust... So, I keep it around for fooling around with at home.

brokenbones

Tele-Holic
If you're going to be gigging out with a pedal setup, you may want to look into getting a quality board, power supply, and cabling first. Don't neglect the price of those items in your budget. Also, your board will grow bigger, factor that in as well.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Great thing about the Rat you can go from a mild blues overdrive up through hard rock tones and finally into a fusion fuzz. Very versatile pedal...and they're not expensive either!

What RetroTeleRod is describing is absolutely true. Probably the most versatile distorions ever. Huge fans and detractors here for the Rat. I can not live without mine. I would STRONGLY suggest getting the Chicago Stompworks version called the Mr. Vermin. Its the real deal old school Rat and they go for around $60 bucks. Sadly, what Proco sells these days (Rat 2) is not a Rat IMHO. I have all three and my mainstay is the Mr. Vermin. Just killer.

Hades

TDPRI Member
okay, update so I did end up getting the RAT for my set up. It came yesterday and I love it! sounds even better in person then listening over youtube. So I was doing some digging and came across a company called Big Joe Stompbox. I checked out their phaser and It sound really sick! I have never heard of them though until today though. does anyone know about any of their stuff and if its worth buying their phaser over another brands?