1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedal help/feedback!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hades, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Hades

Hades TDPRI Member

so a little background. I am a acoustic guy, I use to play in a band and I did use a electric guitar with a awesome marshal stack, but all that has changed now. I recently moved into a small place and just bought a nice small amp that does not take up space. I have never used guitar pedals before with my setup. I have put together a tinny pedal board myself. I am now looking to fill it with 4 pedals. I know for a fact I am going to buy the DIG Strymon. I messed with that one a bit before and I thought it was fun to play with. So now I am looking for a nice hard rock distortion sound, a phaser cuz once again they cool to mess with, and the last one I am all ears for not sure on what to get. I don't really have a budget yet on how much I want to spend, but I am sure once I add up the price of the pedals I'll know if I willing to drop the cash. haha

2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Let me be the first to say-----RAT!

3. Hades

Hades TDPRI Member

what ?

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. Hades

Hades TDPRI Member

Oh!!!! hahaha see I am so out of the loop with pedals, I never heard of this one! haha

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Rat!

Hades likes this.
  7. Hades

Hades TDPRI Member

The pedal goes really well with the style of music played in the video you posted. Also a big Green Day fan too!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. RetroTeleRod

Great thing about the Rat you can go from a mild blues overdrive up through hard rock tones and finally into a fusion fuzz. Very versatile pedal...and they're not expensive either!

9. RetroTeleRod

As far a phasers go, take a look at...

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep. Look no further than this one.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. ticklemetele

ticklemetele TDPRI Member

I'll throw my opinion out there. I would go with a "marshall in a box" type pedal. Zvex Box of rocks, Jhs angry charlie or charlie brown, marshall guv'nor (original, not the 2). All of them are pretty available on the used market sans the marshall guv'nor.

Enjoy the tone quest, if you buy used it's pretty easy to flip pedals until you find what you are looking for.

12. RetroTeleRod

Once you've got distortion, delay and phaser covered my next suggestion would be a tremolo pedal. There are tons of choices, but the Boss TR-2 is a nice basic trem pedal that won't break the bank. It's even more affordable used. Since you dig Green Day, check out the setting at 1:15...

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

For the money, you can't beat the Behringer Vintage Phaser.

It's dirt cheap, but we sure ain't talking mini. It's a huge hunk of steel.

14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1 for the Rat!

I got nothing on the Phaser... Not a sound I would use. But, somehow I've ended up with two flangers (that will probably never see gigging board time, but are fun to play with every now and again) - an Electroharmonix Electric Mistress I've had for 10 years and a Boss BF-2 I just go in a trade. Maybe a used Boss phaser? I hear good things about the MXR Phasers.

The fourth spot I would most go for is a Delay. Analog or Digital. Or a Reverb? The MXR Carbon Copy is the delay on my board currently. I love the way it sounds, and they are not expensive new or used. I also have a Dan Echo that I love, but don't always trust... So, I keep it around for fooling around with at home.

15. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Phase 95!!! Best Phaser out there.

IMG_4754.JPG

KM

richey88 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  16. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

If you're going to be gigging out with a pedal setup, you may want to look into getting a quality board, power supply, and cabling first. Don't neglect the price of those items in your budget. Also, your board will grow bigger, factor that in as well.

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Some sort of boost at the end?

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

What RetroTeleRod is describing is absolutely true. Probably the most versatile distorions ever. Huge fans and detractors here for the Rat. I can not live without mine. I would STRONGLY suggest getting the Chicago Stompworks version called the Mr. Vermin. Its the real deal old school Rat and they go for around $60 bucks. Sadly, what Proco sells these days (Rat 2) is not a Rat IMHO. I have all three and my mainstay is the Mr. Vermin. Just killer.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Phaser and compressor. Oh and a buffer too.

lp special likes this.
  20. Hades

Hades TDPRI Member

okay, update so I did end up getting the RAT for my set up. It came yesterday and I love it! sounds even better in person then listening over youtube. So I was doing some digging and came across a company called Big Joe Stompbox. I checked out their phaser and It sound really sick! I have never heard of them though until today though. does anyone know about any of their stuff and if its worth buying their phaser over another brands?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.