Pedal for Multi-Effect AND USB interface?

charlieBravo

TDPRI Member
I am simple man. I just want a decent pedal that has minimal effects, can be used onstage/studio, and works as a USB interface to my laptop for recording/transcribing/practicing with tracks...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

TellaStrat

TDPRI Member
I found the Line 6 HD300 to be really powerful. It has the DSP power in its hardware, and, the Line 6 firmware is also awesome. There are online patches available through the usb interface on their website and it even has a wah/volume pedal. They can be found cheap also. The hd400 and 500 series are even more powerful with the 500x having an XLR microphone input with line and xlr as well as usb in and out.The pedals also have dedicated loopers. If you go in and edit your stomp box and amp modeling presets you can really personalize it and back everything up with the computer librarian as well. Very stable drivers. Did I mention its cheap used and sounds really good? Even though they have new ones out, I found all I had hoped for with the HD300.

TellaStrat

TDPRI Member
I found the Line 6 HD300 to be really powerful. It has the DSP power in its hardware, and, the Line 6 firmware is also awesome. There are online patches available through the usb interface on their website and it even has a wah/volume pedal. They can be found cheap also. The hd400 and 500 series are even more powerful with the 500x having an XLR microphone input with line and xlr as well as usb in and out.The pedals also have dedicated loopers. If you go in and edit your stomp box and amp modeling presets you can really personalize it and back everything up with the computer librarian as well. Very stable drivers. Did I mention its cheap used and sounds really good? Even though they have new ones out, I found all I had hoped for with the HD300.

Here is a link to a demo. The HD300 just cannot chain as many stomp box models together and you do not have individual tweak knobs available all at once. So like most stop boxes on a pedal train you have to put a little setup time getting "your" sound. Then save it to internal memorry or the computer. The 400 and 500 have more tweakable live controls. But I have not had any desire to upgrade even though Line 6 has new helix stuff out. It would be like trying to get a new tube screamer when you already have 8.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The USB interface part complicates things a little bit. There are plenty of units out there with one, but the majority of them are loaded with features and effects. There are also plenty of units out there that are minimal in nature, but they don't include the interface.

charlieBravo

TDPRI Member
Thanks all. The Line 6 and Boss 100 are more than I wanted to spend. I think just a 1/4 to usb cable might be just what is needed instead.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Find a Zoom G2NU second hand (they're out of production).

It's a pretty good little multi-effects pedal format with built-in USB recording interface.

TellaStrat

TDPRI Member

Here is a link to a demo. The HD300 just cannot chain as many stomp box models together and you do not have individual tweak knobs available all at once. So like most stop boxes on a pedal train you have to put a little setup time getting "your" sound. Then save it to internal memorry or the computer. The 400 and 500 have more tweakable live controls. But I have not had any desire to upgrade even though Line 6 has new helix stuff out. It would be like trying to get a new tube screamer when you already have 8.

If you notice in the video, the laptop is open to the downloadable line 6 software. When you connect to the pedal whichever stompboxes are in the preset will have every knob that is on the real effect stompbox. So whatever you can do on real tube screamers or fuzzface or whatever you can control delay times, envelope phaser whatever. Each effect in the chain will then have one or two hardware controls that CAN be modulated live. Did I already mention that it is a USB audio recording interface with rock solid drivers. The amp models allow you to increase sag amount, tube bias, what the neck I don't know all of the pod and helix line and I was sort of unimpressed by line 6 family previous to HD technology but the HD300 technology starting point is a good leap beyond other brands in my humble opinion and any models after that are more powerful and add features. I have Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, Bassman, Vox, Tweed, Boogie, just so many amp models. The thing is I watched a lot of my friends eyes get big when they realized that the RESPONSE actually changed with the amp models.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
I know they are kinda pricy, but the HX stomp or HX effects are perfect for what you’re describing. Really good effects, Impulse response capability, recording interface, great customer service/warranty, amp modeling if you’re into that(on the stomp).