Pedal for Late-60s Heavy Rock Overdrive at Lower Volume

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by cravenmonket, May 11, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like this one, too

VintageSG likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well what's called Classic Rock is maybe '67- '79 and includes an awful lot of different sounds.
    From the JTM45 through the first version of the JCM800, the Mesa Boogie and all the Tweeds/ Supro/ Orange/ Hiwatt/ Vox.

Not just one sound!

D_Malone likes this.
  3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

I listened to most of the pedals and this one sounds close to what I'm hearing in my head. Fat, dirty, quite thick, compressed, and nice harmonic stuff. Thank you for the recommendation! Great price too...

Update: Ordered one :)

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    El Tele Lobo and blowtorch like this.
  4. blowtorch

It sounds great, I don't think you'll regret it if you get it

cravenmonket likes this.
  5. cravenmonket

Thanks everyone for your help! Ordered a Danelectro The Breakdown just now. Feedback coming soon...

6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

do you have an overdrive? You should be able to get sort of pretty close with just about anything. excepting... maybe practice, practice, practice.... so much is just practice. Sounding like Jimmy Page is not that easy, I wish I could play like Jimmy Page, especially that smeared beautiful guitar solo on Heartbreaker. I know Plant is really talking about the collective broken hearts of other lead guitar players when he says Hearbreaker, that solo is the Heartbreaker. I saw a video that Bonammassa made in some bathroom with a silverface champ, talking about using the knobs on his les paul to get British rock god tones. He just kind of shrugged when it came to sounding like Jimmy Page and said something like "It's easy to look stupid trying" and he indicated he didn't try to go there and stuck with trying to cop Clapton and Beck. unfortunately you can't buy chops or style.

cravenmonket likes this.
  7. cravenmonket

Totally agree mate! I'm not trying to pretend I will sound anything at all like JP! I just have a jones for playing dirty for a change, as I've been clean for years. YEARS! I have a '65 PRRI so I can get overdrive but only out in my recording studio, not in my house with my wife and kids and dog and cats. And even on 10 with a 12" Jensen it doesn't sound like 1968 British hard rock.

I just want to have a bit of fun and learn some riffs and get me out of the (70's English Folk) groove I've been in for 20 years. Fully prepared to look stupid!

8. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

My Boss SD-1 or an old Tokai OD-1 (tubescreamer circuit) both do a decent job. Playing my SD-1 into my Strymon Timeline on the Echoplex setting is a thing of beauty.

8trackmind likes this.
  9. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

The breakdown looks super cool!

A pedal based off the supro amp would be a good bet too. Page used a tonebender mk2 (I think) into a supro amp. the tonebender shows up here and there but the Supro is the key element imo

there is an old DIY project called the Supreaux Deux that nails the sound you are looking for, I’m pretty sure both JHS and Supro based their pedals off of it.

If you don't build but you want the real deal, as in one that financially benefits the guys who actually designed it, you can get one here

http://www.sonicfusionpedals.com/PedalDetails.aspx?pedalname=supreauxdeux

cravenmonket likes this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You don't have an overdrive... well that makes sense then. Your Princeton has a 10 though, not a 12 right? I didn't mean I thought you would look stupid trying to sound like Jimmy Page. I try all the time, I just don't... :( I get in trouble with my cat for even cranking up my champ.. so I know what you mean there. Nonetheless I can't usually be bothered to plug in a pedal, I just crank it up, of course my cat can't dish out the retribution like a wife and a champ is nowhere near as loud as a princeton.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Anyone use the Breakdown with a Champ and a Tele?

12. blowtorch

So this one had flown under my radar.
    Checking out some clips, it seems pretty awesome!

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

+1 on the Behringer VT999
    Another good range is the Blackstar HT pedal series. The Behringer is a hybrid, starved plate unit with a very good op-amp section. The Blackstar series use wibbly-wobbly techy stuff to kick the voltages inside to interesting levels. Both are very capable of raising a smile.
    To the OP, Danelectro pedals don't disappoint. Your feedback is required.

cravenmonket and blowtorch like this.
  14. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

Electro Harmonix Double Muff.

cravenmonket likes this.
  15. cravenmonket

Yeah I meant I just crank my Princeton up if I want overdriven tones - no onboard overdrive or gain options. Just volume. And it's too loud to spend much time playing at those levels, even if I'm in my soundproofed studio. Neighbors can't hear me but I get a headache.

My limited edition PRRI has a 12" Jensen. I don't think it is any louder than a 10" but I guess it moves more air, so maybe? Mostly it just has more mids than a standard '65 PRRI. Sounds a little thicker to me, and more sparkly on the neck pickup.

I have a Vox PR15 which has an onboard 'boost' but I've never really enjoyed the sound it makes in that mode. Lovely amp clean though.

16. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Here are two that work for me:
    1. Lovepedal Super Sic Tone-has 3 settings...one is like a treble booster and one is like a tone bender...perfect for early Zep tones.

2. Electric Majik Series 7- Mimics the Vox Series 7 amp used on Zep 2 but does much more than that...formerly known as Lumpy’s Lemon Drop.

cravenmonket likes this.
  17. cravenmonket

Pedal arrived today and I've been playing with it for an hour.

First impressions, it is a very natural, organic-sounding pedal; I guess because it's not creating a fuzz tone on its own, but rather driving the front end of my amplifier. So all the break-up I'm getting is real tube break-up in my Princeton, not just a fuzzy noise from the pedal's circuit being delivered to my amp. I guess I hadn't really thought about this, being a total stranger to overdrive/distortion boxes. The pedal is letting me push my amp harder and get some grit without having to crank the volume.

It is very responsive and immediate. It doesn't just deliver fuzz with no regard for how I'm playing. If I'm soft on the attack, fingerpicking or gentle strumming, it's very subtle. But when I dig in, it bites. It's almost like it took my Princeton and turned it into a 5-watt tube amp with a great dynamic range. With the pedal in bypass mode, the Princeton never gets dirty below 3 or even 4, no matter how hard I slam my Tele. It stays pure and clean. This pedal shortens the distance to breakup. So I can get loads more dynamic range just by leaving the pedal on: clean when I'm playing lightly, then gritty when I hit it a little harder, as if my amp was set to 5 or so.

It does some really interesting things to the harmonics. I'm hearing some lovely overtones when the pedal pushes the amp. The sustain is improved, and there are these sweet, chirpy harmonics which seem to ride over the grittiness. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I wasn't expecting it, and I'm very pleased with the tone.

I'll probably have more to say later on. But right now I'm very impressed. Great pedal for $100.

emjayjay and blowtorch like this.
  18. Kid Fivethumbs

Kid Fivethumbs TDPRI Member

350 will get you a long way! Get a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret and a Boss GE7 and use the EQ to fine tune and boost volume into the DLS.

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

A Rat will get you there IMO, and for less money than all the other suggestions.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I think it sounds good, really good. Trying hard to justify the cost however in these crazy times. Just got the Pure Sky from Caline (budget, $110 less than the BD) and am having fun with this.

emjayjay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.