1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedal Chain Running Order

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Boondocks, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Boondocks

Boondocks Tele-Meister

Hey guys,

I need your opinion on the most versatile running order of a pedal chain. I have read other posts in the matter but can't get a clear picture of what might be the 'best' - soundwise. Looking back over the years I have not used a lot of effect pedals so I can't say I have a lotta experience.
    To this day, looking down on my 'board', it looks like this:

Guitar > Compressor > Tremolo > Delay > Fuzz > Overdrive > Amp (Blues J:r )

The pedals all run at 9v except for the Overdrive that runs on 18v (Lovepedal OD11)

I am about to buy a Chorus pedal as well, but I still don't know what to buy, and where it's best placed in the chain of effects.

I'm looking forward hearing your thoughts on this...

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I would stick the delay at the end but besides that it looks fine to me. The chorus would go between your OD and Delay.

As far as Chorus suggestions, whats your price range?

My favorite is the old Danelectro Cool Cats. They are the big baby blue stereo ones. They are typically dirt cheap but fantastic. If money is not an issue I probably would go with a TC Stereo + Flanger. They are pretty sweet and you would have the option of Flang.

3. Boondocks

Boondocks Tele-Meister

Thanks Lunchie, I haven't thought of that. I'll swap the Delay's place.

Well price range is a matter of time I guess. Don't mind waiting and saving for the 'right' one even if it turns out a bit expensive. However, I see no reason in 'overkill' pricewise but the options you mention looks quite nice. They both do. And Flanger might be handy as well..

4. TB72

TB72 Tele-Holic

What kind of fuzz are you using. Many fuzzes sound, and behave better if they are first in your chain.

The order I would go with (including your new chorus) would be:

Guitar-fuzz-compressor-overdrive-tremolo-chorus-delay-amplifier.

Later...

5. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Guitar >> chorus >> compressor >> overdrive >> fuzz >> trem >> delay >> amp

You'll get every man and his dog telling you to do it a different way. Just put things in funny places and see what kinda results you get.

6. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Typically
    Guitar >comp >overdrives/distortion >boost> modulations(chorus, phase, flange etc.)> delays>reverb. Into amp.

Think of reverb as part of the amp. Reverb the delay,not delay the reverb. Putting your modulations before the overdrives will just muddy things up.

7. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I'd put the fuzz closer to the guitar, and the delay towards the end.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

boondocks, I like my delay toward the front of the chain before any boost or od... why? Any boost affects the ducking... I have come to like the sensitivity of the ducking happening as close to the guitar signal as possible so I can also affect the ducking with pick dynamics and volume control... just how I have come to use it...

9. SSgt93

SSgt93 Tele-Meister

+1. As someone stated earlier, most Fuzz's like to be first in line.

10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I overlooked the fuzz in the chain. I would play around with the fuzz, tremolo and the comp to see what gives the best result.

After a dude, cant remember who, suggested tremolo before dirt in another thread, i tried it and fell in love with it.

I guess it comes down to whats true bypass, whats not, and what pedals you stack.

There really is no right way, as long as it sounds good to you.

11. Boondocks

Boondocks Tele-Meister

Thanks.

I will definetely try to move things around a little bit. Rearrange the order of them to try and see (hear) if I can spot any differences. About the reverb; I have come to like the reverb in the amp - it sounds quite nice.
    Another thing I've thought about; If I was to get an amp with effects loop would that make a difference to the running order?

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I answer that question by saying, save giving yourself another headache... if you are amp shopping... use other criteria than "effects loop"... for my part "effects loop" is a waste of wire and jacks...

13. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Sometimes your pedals will find there own spot in the line. I have only 4 pedals and tried various combinations until the tone was simply best for both my tele and strat. It's really based on what YOU are trying to achieve. I ended up with the following order and the following reasons:

Guitar > MXR Custom Comp > Xotic EP Booster > Menatone Blue Collar OD > MXR Carbon Copy.

I tried the comp after the OD, didn't like it. I tried the EP first in line, but when it's on, the comp smashed the hot signal down too far. I like the comp to add some shimmer and squish and the EP was not letting this occur. Also, running the EP after the comp produced a really dynamic and punchy country tone, clarity and pick attack just popped running the boost post compression - best part there was no big noise increase either (must be these pedals are high quality). I like the EP in front of the OD, to drive it...it adds the top end and bottom end that the Blue Collar shaves off, plus, it really kicks the Blue Collar into a nice chewy dumble like tone. I tried running the EP after the Blue Collar, but it just made it louder and more muddy. The delay was always at the end of the chain, as it should be.

I spent several hours moving the 3 boxes around to achieve the best tonal and biggest amount of tonal options. It was a fun afternoon, and I learned a good bit about stacking and adjusting each pedal to it's optimum spot for my guitars and amp.

Good luck.

14. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

Hey folks. Relatively new poster here, so grain of salt / caveat emptor / fwiw, etc. But here goes.

Traditionally, you go fuzz (incl od/dist/fuzz), modulation(ch/flange/ph/wah/env), rev (delay incl.). Lots of people will tell you this sounds the best.

Personally, I like to put the wah (crybaby or q-tron for me) before the distortion (proco Rat or Big Muff for a tele, Boss DS-1 for an LP), then consider reverb based on the room. This allows the midrange emphasis of the wah to really define how the distortion acts, while limiting the nasality of the wah.

Regards 'verb: clap your hands in the empty room. Listen to the ring of your drummer's snare. Assume that the same applies to your tone. Don't let fear drive you into abuse of "mistake mist". Remember that it's you playing in a club, not Gilmour in a hockey stadium. Adjust accordingly.

Then, disregard everything I just said, pick two or three effects, a great guitar and a great amp, and say "***** it".

The above applies to playing live. Recording is a different story.

I'll save my fetishised signal chain for another post.

love y'all

15. BillNeaves

BillNeaves Tele-Meister

+1

16. javabirds

javabirds Tele-Holic

I like:

Boost>Fuzz>OD>Dist>Wah>Dist>OD>Fuzz>Boost

just to keep things symmetrical.

17. Boondocks

Boondocks Tele-Meister

Thanks again for your inputs (!)

Now I have made several tests according to what the majority suggests.
    Looking down I see:
    > Wah > Comp > Fuzz > OD > Tremolo > Delay > Amp

I think the sound has improved, the Compressor seemed to sound more 'even'. The Tremolo does too. Think I'll keep it that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.