pedal board planning

e44crowe

Tele-Meister
I know everyone loves these questions but I want some input from other brains.

I am constantly tweaking my pedalboard. I have a PT-JR with onboard power for 6 pedals. This is the max I have given myself for a board.

SO, my question is how would you equip your pedalboard?

I'll start off with what I consider to be mandatory on the board with my current selection in parenthesis:

Tuner (Korg Pitchblack)

OD (Fulltone OCD)

Delay (Sitori Sonics Reel Repeat)

Modulation (Boss Flanger)

I currently also use:

2nd OD (Tubescreamer)

2nd Modulation (Boss Tremolo)

How would you change? I am really looking more for pedal type guidance more than brands.

I am currently obsessed with adding in a compressor for some reason. Would you remove the 2nd drive pedal or the 2nd modulation type pedal? I like the Tremolo but cant say that it is the most useful pedal for a lot of stuff I play. It is just fun to noodle around with. The 2nd drive pedal gives me options for crunch level at the step of a shoe and also gives me a solo boost option.

FWIW, I play in a classic rock cover band.

waparker4

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Tuner
2 channel OD/Boost pedal
Fuzz/Dist
Delay
Chorus/Vibrato/Flange
Tremolo

My current board has these plus a comp and a phaser. The comp and the phaser would be the first to go if I had to go pare down to 6. The comp will probably go anyway.

So for classic rock you'll need
a solo boost
a fuzzy sound
a crunchy sound

For that I currently have a crunchy frog (boost -> OD) into a red llama.
Boost-> llama = Fuzz
boost-> OD = lead
boost = clean lead
OD = crunch

You'll need a delay

You'll need a few texture pedals. I like vibrato and tremolo, really I like them all. I like chorus/vibrato on leads as well as on rhythm parts, and tremolo gives parts an interesting aspect to them when I'm sitting back in the mix.

Fred Rogers

Tele-Afflicted
I have a PT-JR. If it helps, here is my current setup.

Tuner (Korg Pitchblack)
ISP Decimator G String Noise Gate
Keeley Compressor
Jetter Gear Helium OD
Pro Co RAT2 Distortion
TC Electronics Corona Chorus
TC Electronics FlashBack Delay

artdecade

Poster Extraordinaire
If I were you...

Korg Pitchblack (Tuner)
MXR Micro Amp (Boost)
Proco Rat (Dirt and Fuzz)
Boss Flanger (Flanger and Chorus)
Sitori Sonics Reel Repeat (Shorter Slapback)
Boss DD3 (Longer Delays)

I'm not a huge fan of the OCD, but that's just my preference. The MXR is a great clean (enough) boost and the Rat is about as versatile as it comes. When you combine the two, you can get just about everything that you'll need for a gig. The Flanger cover a lot of modulation needs. I'd stick with it. Typically, I would add a tremolo to a board but I don't think that is as important on a classic rock gig as much as delay. That's why I think you might want to grab a second one. Use one for slapback or for a bit of doubling. Use another for classic rock lead tones.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
It seems to me that a cover band guitarist might do best with a digital multi-effects rig than a small pedalboard so you can try to emulate recorded sounds.

I also have a PT-Jr, and I have sworn to myself that I will not exceed the PT-Jr because I'm only a weekend gigger with no hope or interest in replacing the Edge.

My setup changes a lot, but at this moment I run:

Germanium fuzz (Monsterpiece Ge)
Tuner (TC Polytune)
Delay (Analogman Ardx20)
Tremolo (EHX Pulsar)
ABY switcher (Morley) to switch between channels of my Bassman.

I sometimes add in a silicon fuzz (Devi Torn's Peaker), a Rat (whiteface reissue), or a compressor (Barber Tone Press), but these aren't part of my core setup. Sometimes I even leave my pedalboard at home and use a clip-on tuner and just the Ge fuzz running on a battery.

e44crowe

Tele-Meister
Thanks everyone. Some real food for thought.

I love the OCD. It can go anywhere from a clean boost to some real gnarly crunch at the 18v i'm running it.

The Flanger does seem to cover a good range of atmosphere/swirlly sound stuff so it seems to be a keeper. Plus we have a couple tunes that very obviously use one.

Im not tied to the TubeScreamer but it seems to be a safe crunch option. If you can't make a TS pedal work I dont know what will work. :)

Why can't I shake the thought that a compressor would be the final touch for my sound... oh pedal GAS you are a real birch!

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
My current set up:

Warwick Tuner
Cry Baby Wah
Boss CS-3 Compressor
Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin Distortion (Rat clone)
Digitech Multi Chorus

I know everyone loves these questions but I want some input from other brains.

I am constantly tweaking my pedalboard. I have a PT-JR with onboard power for 6 pedals. This is the max I have given myself for a board.

SO, my question is how would you equip your pedalboard?

I'll start off with what I consider to be mandatory on the board with my current selection in parenthesis:

Tuner (Korg Pitchblack)

OD (Fulltone OCD)

Delay (Sitori Sonics Reel Repeat)

Modulation (Boss Flanger)

I currently also use:

2nd OD (Tubescreamer)

2nd Modulation (Boss Tremolo)

How would you change? I am really looking more for pedal type guidance more than brands.

I am currently obsessed with adding in a compressor for some reason. Would you remove the 2nd drive pedal or the 2nd modulation type pedal? I like the Tremolo but cant say that it is the most useful pedal for a lot of stuff I play. It is just fun to noodle around with. The 2nd drive pedal gives me options for crunch level at the step of a shoe and also gives me a solo boost option.

FWIW, I play in a classic rock cover band.

For classic rock you prob don't NEED a comp like say a country player would. It's good to have different OD/distortion/fuzzy sounds so I'd drop a modulation before i dropped an OD.

Anderson77

TDPRI Member
I would defently switch the trem n delay around you want the delay last, at least in my experience delay works best last unless you get a reverb too then trem,delay,reverb. The odc and ts switch around till you find what works best unless you dont stack em then it shouldnt matter. Iam having pedal order troubles too, i started a thread yesterday on this subject - PEDAL ORDER FRUSTRATIONS

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I would defently switch the trem n delay around you want the delay last, at least in my experience delay works best last unless you get a reverb too then trem,delay,reverb. The odc and ts switch around till you find what works best unless you dont stack em then it shouldnt matter. Iam having pedal order troubles too, i started a thread yesterday on this subject - PEDAL ORDER FRUSTRATIONS

I like trem after delay and reverb, like it is in a fender amp. With trem last, the trem isn't softened by the delay repeats. But if you want that softening of the trem, put delay after trem.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
As a place to start...I kind of think about pedal order as "what is the natural chain/order that the sound happens". Tuner if you must (otherwise not), in the preamp gains would be od, dist and compression stages, then modulation and time fx's in the loop area....trem from the amp, verb from the room and delay from the larger space.

For stacking in the pre amp section...just what ever works better for your ears, though I generally like to go od > high gain > clean > compression...(for me stacking in this order allows for tweaking the loosness/tightness and the articulation/punch parameters before hitting the modulation section)...(also I don't do a compression pedal and instead let the high gain/clean pedals do that if needed) > modulation then on to the power amp section. Also as you can see in my sig...I like to "set up" the signal with a parametric and also "polish" it at the end before hitting the power amp.

ellisvertellis

Tele-Holic
I'm using a true bypass looper to separate my clean sound from my lead sound.

LOOP 1: octaver - compressor - TS - vibrato - delay - Volume pedal - Reverb (with expression pedal)

LOOP 2: Fuzz - Overdrive (- delay)

after the looper: general boost

activate the appropriate pedals in the loop before each song, then switch between "clean" and lead with one tap.

I want to do something like this too. :cool:

This is really cool. I was JUST watching a video of the JHS mini TBL. It was really cool. I just don't think I use enough effects to justify it..... Yet, lol.

I also really like the idea of using an expression pedal to mix in/out different fx levels. I was watching Pete Thorn do it. He had everything set and he was increasing/decreasing the amount of delay in his signal with his exp pedal, or he could lean it all the way back and take it completely out of the signal. Thats cool. I know some of the strymon pedals have outs for exp pedals. More pedals should, especially modulation pedals.

waparker4

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Boss Line Selector LS-2. I prefer it over a true bypass loop because it does so much more.

True dat
I use the boss tuner to split to two paths then select either path to the rest of the pedal board with a true bypass looper. It works like one of the LS-2 functions without the volume controls. But i ain't got a LS-2.

artdecade

Poster Extraordinaire
True dat
I use the boss tuner to split to two paths then select either path to the rest of the pedal board with a true bypass looper. It works like one of the LS-2 functions without the volume controls. But i ain't got a LS-2.

Easy enough to get on the cheap. I grabbed one on the bay for 30 bucks a while back.

ellisvertellis

Tele-Holic
Boss Line Selector LS-2. I prefer it over a true bypass loop because it does so much more.

To be honest, i do use a Boss LS-2 at the moment. But the buffer in the LS-2 makes the germanium fuzz in the "lead" loop act all funny. A fuzz face can not handle a boss type buffer very well, that's why i'm going for a true bypass looper. I bought a Loopmasters true bypass looper and it should arrive shortly :rolleyes:.
The Boss LS-2 does do a lot more and if you're not using "difficult" fuzzes, it's a great tool on your pedalboard! And cheap too!

Ricardo Moraes

Tele-Meister
My current set up is just a tuner + compressor + OD. My full set up (that I never use) is

MAXON GE-601 (equalizer) --> XOTIC Robotalk (auto-wah) --> BARBER Compact (compressor) --> EH Micro-Pog (octaver) --> EQD Pitch Bay (pitch shifter) --> RAMBLER Twin Bender (fuzz) --> CRY BABY 535Q (wah) -- RAMBLER Marvel Drive (amp simulator- Marshall) --> MAXON VOP9 (OD) --> MAXON DS830 (distortion) --> MAXON PT9 (phaser) --> MAXON CS550 (chorus) --> MAXON FL9 (flanger) --> XOTIC RC (booster) --> EQD Dis. Transp (delay) --> IBANEZ ES2 (echo) --> Mr. BLACK Eterna
(reverb).

Crazy, huh? I tested all of the above pedals against several competitors (thjose named are the ones that I found BEST in each category), wrote a lenghty article (which I have had not enough time to translate into English), and used them ONCE all together. WOW -- that was a real TREAT (Disneyland?).

I also relish playing WITHOUT any effect -- just me, my guitar and a good tube amp.