Pedal Board Junior: Napa Valley "vintage" recycling

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Michael A., Jul 13, 2020.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I always have my eyes open for an interesting piece of wood to use in a project or a found object that could be dual-purposed. This wooden Mondavi Wine box was a discovery when my wife and I cleaned out a house for a very elderly neighbor when she went into assisted living. Despite being Made in China, the box had good bones, with solid wood construction and even removable dividers between the bottles.

Instantly I thought that this could be my small living room pedal board!

Although not a complicated job, there were lots of detailed steps. I also tried to maintain the original finish as much as possible, although I intentionally added some scuffs and rubs to "relic" it a bit.

Amazingly, I found in my stash a remnant piece of birch multi-ply for the top that was exactly the same dimension as I needed, so I only had to cut the length down.

I cut the box at an angle on the table saw. Added cleats inside for the top to rest on. Drilled a mess of holes with hole saws and Forstner bits, and connected the holes with jig saw cuts. Lots of sanding and a pine stain on the top and some dark stain on the cut and sanded edges.

I'm using my trusty Powerall 9V adapter, so I added a spool for its cable and a securable door that I can stick the "wal-wart" into a safe place.

Spent many more hours than I should have, but now I have something that is a bit different.

With the small footprint pedals available these days, even this small board will accommodate 8 or more pedals.

IMG_20200614_134252293.jpg IMG_20200627_173343587.jpg IMG_20200707_132605837_HDR.jpg IMG_20200713_114739810.jpg

El Tele Lobo, studio1087 and Wallaby like this.
  2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice!

Michael A. likes this.
  3. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool!

Michael A. likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Deep, rich color. Open, yet full bodied. I'll bet it has a wonderful nose too. Looks like a very good year.

Michael A. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.