Pedal Board Help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RunPickle, Aug 3, 2014.

1. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

So I'm running 9 pedals of all different shapes and sizes and it'd be soooooo convenient to have a pedal board to lug them around on. But I have this weird OCD about putting Velcro on my pedals... Any solutions as to how to transport them without permanently adding Velcro or adhesive?

2. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Use a perforated base or drill holes, then use zip ties.

3. Abe

Abe Tele-Meister

My first pedalboard was a piece of plywood painted black with holes drilled so that I could zip tie my pedals to the board. This method did two things for me - 1) gave me a permanent solution that required drilling more holes or a new board any time I wanted to swap pedals, which lead to 2) getting over my OCD about putting velcro on my pedals.

I now own a Pedaltrain and can't imagine going back. My new pedals get a couple-day audition to see how they're going to work out, then the velcro goes on.

I will say that for some pedals I don't want to put velcro on, I've either bought new baseplates (BOSS) to put the velcro on, or manufactured new baseplates (my wah) out of plexiglass to put the velcro on. It's more work, but it's a solution worth considering.

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

5. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I read that one person it holes on the Velcro, then screwed it to the bottom with the other holes so they didn't have to use the adhesive. Ill post pics when I do it if you don't get what I mean.

6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Just put masking tape on the bottom of the pedal, then put the velcro on the masking tape. If you ever need to remove the velcro, the masking tape adhesive will come off easily, but it still holds the pedals securely.

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

There are Pedalocks for Boss and MXR style pedals, maybe others too.

8. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

These are all great responses! Thanks for the ideas, guys(and maybe gals)!

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

This at first sounds like a great idea, however you'll most likely find yourself wanting to swap pedal order, try out a new pedal, take a pedal off your board and rearrange things, etc. This make the zip ties a real PITA.

Velcro is still the best option. If you're paranoid/OCD about putting velcro directly onto your precious pedal's bottoms, you cold first put a layer of something like blue painter's tape on the bottom of the pedal, then the velcro on top of the painters tape. If you need to remove the velco, you simply peel off the painter's tape. It's won't leave a residue or pull the paint off of your pedal. (I think painter's tape would be a better option over masking tape. If masking tape is left on something for a while it can also be hard to remove.) Understand that this may degrade over time if you're always moving the board, gigging, throwing it in the back of a trailer, van, etc., but it's probably your best option.

The bicycle chain links idea looks great, but I foresee hassles when wanting to switch out pedals or rearrange your board. Plus, if you're at a gig and need to pull of a pedal or swap it out fast for whatever reason, I don't hunk the crowd would understand taking the time to break out the drill or screwdriver!

10. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

I've switched pedals w zip ties a number of times. No biggie.

11. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

I bought one of these kits

http://kiesshauer.com/stuff.html

To use instead of Velcro on my pedalboard. It looks cleaner, it holds pedals tight (absolutely zero wobble unlike velcro), and most importantly; the adhesive doesn't leave Any residue on my pedals. Yet that adhesive holds 4lbs per square inch and is rated not to melt up to 200F.

Would highly recommend.

-Ryan

12. shane6377

shane6377 TDPRI Member

As others have said, I think velcro is the way to go. I use lighter fluid to remove the adhesive and have never peeled paint off of any of my pedals.

You could also get replacement bottom plates for your pedals. MXR, Boss, Ibanez, and most boutique pedals can be replaced with Hammond enclosures (1590B size mostly). You can pick up just the lids at www.smallbearelec.com. (no affiliation with Small Bear, just a satisfied customer.)

I used the bike chain method with my wah and had success too. Good luck!

13. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

That Dual Lock looks like a gift from the gods! I might have to check out the pricing in that.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have somethin looks like that dual lock. Very strong stuff, no wobble either, but I have to use all the strength I have to rip it off the board if moving pedals around. I hate it. Do you have this problem?

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

3M Dual Lock holds in a death grip. You can remove pedals by prying them off the board, with a shoehorn, sturdy kitchen utensil, etc. - the price one pays for the death grip bond. I only use Dual Lock for really small items that wobble with Velcro, such as 1590A micro pedals. I find the bond with Velcro to be quite sufficient with anything larger than the micro stomps. So I use a combination of Velcro and Dual Lock.

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah. I have my voodoo labs PP2 mounted upside down underneath my board with it. That is never moving again :)

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A kid down the road gave me an old bicycle chain that I disassembled with my chain link remover. It is true that they don't switch out as fast, but I use automotive sheet metal screws into plywood and keep a 1/4" drive screwdriver with a socket handy, so I can remove a pedal in almost darkness. They are so rock solid that I can leave a couple of pedals loose and they don't move much.

18. radstringz

radstringz TDPRI Member

Velcro adhesive is temperature-sensitive. You can relax its grip by heating the bottom plate a bit. You can also revitalize the glue the same way if it's lost its stickiness.

-jr

19. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

To those talking about Dual Lock's "death grip"...yes, it can have one, but that depends on two things; what type of Dual Lock (there's different strengths) and how much you use. The stuff I bought from the site in my last post is low-profile and isn't very coarse; so although it holds tight, it's not a death grip as long as you aren't trying to pull the pedals Straight up. You need to get your fingers under the pedal and pull sideways and up, pivoting off the edge of the pedal.

I would only recommend this stuff for Pedaltrains or similar boards where you have some kind of gap under the pedals. Otherwise, you're going to have a bear of a time removing them.

If you use it, use it sparingly. For bigger, heavier pedals; little squares in each corner are more than enough. "Regular" pedals; a strip across the top and bottom works perfectly for me. Micro pedals...no experience, but don't go crazy.

I'm loving the stuff and can't imagine going back to Velcro.

-Ryan

20. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

After consulting with a fellow muso who has lots of experience with several types of 3M Dual Lock, I chose the 2" SJ3550. I'm quite happy with it for my purposes.

To remove the wobble from micro pedals, I recommend covering the entire bottom surface with Dual Lock. I can see the practicality of more sparse coverage with larger stomps, but again, I don't use Dual Lock on those. I'm generally pleased with the bond and removability of Velcro for larger pedals, but then I do tons of gigs and need to move stuff around to different boards, and for different projects, rigs, etc. The only reason I pursued Dual Lock was because of the wobble with Velcro on the 1590A pedals, as well as a Strymon tap favorite switch. Even as using Dual Lock sparsely, Velcro is more cost effective in my opinion.

YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.