1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pedal Advice Needed (ABY, Reverb & Tremolo Content)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mistermullens, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

For a guy that does not use a lot of pedals, I always get a kick out of posting in "The Stomp Box."

Let's start with my live set up. Guitar>Tuner>Crybaby>Boss 63 Reverb>EHX Pulsar Tremolo>Vox AC4TV (sometimes x2).

I purchased the Pulsar because it seemed like the best option, due to the stereo feature (allowing me to use both AC4s on stage), reviews, videos, & price of the unit. While I think it's a good unit, and I can get some cool sounds, that I never use, I don't think it's quite the unit for me. I really just need a good, Fender-style tremolo. While I love tremolo, I rarely use it but on a couple of songs.

I got to thinking, maybe I should look for a reverb pedal with stereo outputs. The problem with that is, I really love my Boss 63 Reverb pedal, and I haven't found another reverb I like better. I'm considering the TC Hall of Fame and the Boss RV-5, neither of which I have tried yet.

Here are some other options to consider. I'm really leaning toward the Boss TR-2, which I've owned in the past, and liked. I only sold it b/c all my amps at the time had tremolo. I can get a used one for $50. I don't want a huge pedalboard, and an ABY Switch would put me larger than I would prefer to go unless there is a micro ABY out there that's worth a damn. I really only need the "Y," but I'm willing to do it if needed.

Recap: I'm looking to keep costs & pedalboard size down. What I spend needs to be close to what I could get for the Pulsar and/or 63 Reverb. I'd be willing to give up my 63 Reverb pedal only if I can find a stereo reverb that I like just as much. I'll still most likely go with a TR-2 for Tremolo.

I would love to go with the Strymon Flint, but even used, I can't justifiy spending the money.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What type is the tuner? If it is a Boss tuner, you can place it at the end and use its two outputs to send the signal to your two amps.

There are inexpensive and tiny passive or buffered Y splitter boxes available,
    eg http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturnworks...-in-the-USA-/181833949655?hash=item2a5625e1d7

You can place that after your Boss TR-2 and send the signal to both amps.

Having someone mod a TR-2 simply to add a 2nd parallel output would also be an option. Maybe not as affordable but a smart use of pedalboard space :D

3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

You lose the silent tuning capability, as the "Bypass" output does not mute the signal. Only half of your stereo signal (actually, binaural) will be rendered silent.
    Hey, you could get one more FRV-1 and run each reverb pedal from the splitter into each of the two amps. (My Bad Idea of the Day).

4. mistermullens

Holy cow! I didn't know about the two outputs on a Boss tuner! I've used a a Pitchblack forever, and never really looked into the Boss. I'm assuming since the TU-2 has a similar design as the TU-3, I could go with either?

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah as far as the two outputs, those two Boss tuners work the same way.

6. mistermullens

Sweet! Looks like my problem has been solved. Thanks a ton!

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

If, down the road, you do decide to go for more extensive gear, I can strongly recommend two reverb boxes: Van-Amp's Reberbamate Sole-Mate (very lush and subtle) and the Hall of Fame (very useful, and its Mod setting is like a tremolo-y chorus). The HOF has stereo outputs, too.

For an ABY, I really love the Radial ToneBone. Works flawlessly, and its boost and drag options really let you dial in your guitar signal. These features make all my electrics (Tele, dual humbucker baritone, single-coil Strat copy, dual humbucker Gibson 335 copy, etc.) much richer instruments. I never knew my junky Strat-style beater, for example, had such tones in it. And yet nothing boosted/intensified by the drag settings sounds artificial or over-the-top.

Plus, with this kind of ABY, you can score a complement amp to your Vox and play in stereo. That's not only great in itself, but allows you to mix-and-match what boxes you devote to what amp. If you do get another amp, a raunchy one would match well with your Vox. I run an Excelsior Pro with an AC15C1 and they're like enemy cousins that make harmony in the middle.

8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I second the vote for ToneBone ABY switches. I have the Twin City ABY switcher. It has features that can make a big difference and prevent tone loss and noise:

Radial Bones Twin-City Active ABY Amp Switcher Pedal Features:

Buffered ABY with Drag load correction
    Isolated output eliminates hum and buzz
    18-degree polarity sets both amps in phase
    Toggle and Both footswitches

I don't actually keep it on my pedal board. I only use it if I'm planning to use two amps. Also, since I'm generally planning on keeping both amps turned on all the time or else only make changes between songs, not during a song, I don't really need immediate access to the switches so I can put it on the floor back near the amps and just send one patch cord from my pedal board to the ABY switch, then two short cords going out to the two amps. So you might not need to worry about the impact on your pedal board footprint that much.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CK6_7OHwyccCFUgWHwodNfcLAg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.