1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Peavey Vypyr settings

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by david beckner, Jan 6, 2014.

1. david beckner

david beckner NEW MEMBER!

I was wondering if anyone here uses the Peavey Vypyr modeling amp? If so what settings are you using. My interest are country and gospel and I am having difficulty dialing in a good twang setting.

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

For the AMP settings - dial up the Peavey Classic, BlackFace Twin or Deluxe, or VOX AC 30. Any of those will work. Keep the PRE Volume lower than the Master. You don't want any gain added here.

(Modern Country sounds such as Brad Paizley are more along the lines of a VOX, prior to 2000 was more Blackface Fenders, Peaveys are more like a Tweed Fender - great sound as well)

Set the tones flat (ie: all at halfway). That's a great starting point - adjust as needed.

If you have a Compressor in the FX area - turn it on. Set it subtlety... If it has a "Sustain or Compression" knob, keep it under half. Turn up the compressor volume to compensate any volume drop. Keep the tone (if it has one) flat.

Delay - Try a slapback (digital, analog or tape style), around 175 - 225 ms. It should be barely noticeable (not in your face like a rockabilly slap back)

Reverb to taste...

3. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

I picked up a 30 watt viper and the tweed an brit amps settings are it as far as im concerned. all the preset stuff was not pleasant in my opinion.learn to adjust the effects as directed and its not bad for what it is.

4. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

Love the Vypyrs! I think that the problem with the presets is that the programs all have the gain maxed out. As the Pre gain knob volume also clicks on and off, I would click it off and then gradually increase to taste. All of the models sound much more punchy with the gain at 1:00 or less, IMO.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

That's it. Take the gain down, bring it up slowly from the bottom and dial in as little as necessary. IMO, you've got much more headroom to play with, with a more natural tone.

6. david beckner

david beckner NEW MEMBER!

Thanks to all for the response. Hopefully I can get something satisfying dialed in.

7. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I have used Vypyrs and and a Vypyr VIP for my rehearsal and gigging amps for two and a half years. They replaced my Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jr and Pro Jr. Good clean tones and crunchy tones are easy to set up and they take pedals well. I needed a versatile amp to cover anything from late '30's to modern amp sounds and the Vypyrs do this well. And the Sanpera pedals are nice to have--I can control volume and use wah wah beside switching presets.

If I hadn't changed the abyssimal presets when I tested my first one out I wouldn't have bought it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.