Peavey TransTube Studio Pro 112 any good?

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
I bought the amp

even though some said I was over paying for it. The thing looks brand new and I figured it would just get harder and harder to find one in this type of condition. I will give a full review once the honeymoon phase is over.

My plan is to play it for a few weeks with the stock Blue Marvel speaker and then swap in the 65 watt Scumback H Series Greenback speaker I have. FWIW, everything I had that SB speaker in sounded 10X better. I also have a 35 watt Weber Alnico I can try if for some crazy reason the SB doesn't work out.

robt57

Telefied
even though some said I was over paying for it. The thing looks brand new and I figured it would just get harder and harder to find one in this type of condition. I will give a full review once the honeymoon phase is over.

My plan is to play it for a few weeks with the stock Blue Marvel speaker and then swap in the 65 watt Scumback H Series Greenback speaker I have. FWIW, everything I had that SB speaker in sounded 10X better. I also have a 35 watt Weber Alnico I can try if for some crazy reason the SB doesn't work out.

35 watt speaker won't last to long if you are playing loud as you first mentioned. If it was me, the scumback would be in it 15 minutes after I got home...

Warm Gums

Friend of Leo's
hotrodkid said:

I don't believe you over paid, simply in the words of the owner of Harris Hire you paid " top wonga"...which roughly translates as "the upper realm of the going rate...."lol
I'm retired so every penny counts, but for the average buyer $50 probably isn't worth fretting over (ouch)

Don't be surprised if you end up sticking the BM back in, I tried a a couple of "better speakers" in my Envoy, no dice, the BMs are well matched to the amps...speaker upgrades to ss amps are not always the marked improvement that they are for tube amps.

I'm still puzzled by all the folks whom upgrade the speakers in the Frontman 25, mine sounds so good stock, that I can't see spending the money.
But to each his own.....

robt57

Telefied
With a speaker swap, I thought that the red stripe, delta, Studio Pro, was the best of the solid state Peavey's. I've also owned a Bandit and a Supreme XL.

A few weeks later on this question, but what speaker have you tried, and what have you kept in your Studio Pro?

braderrick

Tele-Afflicted
I have a studio pro 112 amp that I bought new with my first electric guitar (mim strat) back in '95 or '96. I've used the amp a lot and it is very reliable and still sounds great. I guess it is the silver stripe that you guys are talking about. At that time it was $349 at my local music store.

I've never tried any different speakers in it but I may have to now. I'm putting 4 new cannabis rex speakers in my two twin reverbs currently so I may as well upgrade the ole sp.

By the way I really like the overdrive on those little amps too. All my friends have always liked it too and they can't seem to get quite the tone I can with some of their more expensive amps, especially on the dirty channel. I always liked the sp but also always wanted a bandit.

Jim Dep

Friend of Leo's
The PV Studio Pro is a nice little combo. $150 is not a bad price for a "minty" one from 2001. These amps are durable and dependable, just a smaller version of the Bandit.

I've seen Studio Pro's cheaper in pawn shops, but they've all shown a lot of wear. In my area, it could be another year before another good one comes up for less than $100, but I doubt it would be mint. You are also getting the foot switch making this a good buy. I'd think it would be perfect for a church amp. It gets nice overdrive at low volume and does not sound boxy like many other combos of the same size. Good luck.

electrablue

Poster Extraordinaire
Anybody know/remember what the SP's
were selling for new in the early 2000's?
Not that it really matters but I would like to know.
I remember the Bandits being around $369 - $379 plus tax.
Not sure if that included a footswitch though..
About $60 less than a Classic 30 if my memory serves me right.

markleehunter

TDPRI Member
Just to say, I have a Red Stripe Studio Pro 112, bought in mint used condition here in France where I live, for equivalent of $130 US. It's a wonderful amp. Sounds good on its own, great with a Tech 21 Blonde (also bought used) in front of it. Nice reverb, weight is manageable with one hand, loud enough to play with a band and drummer in a club, even has a good overdrive built in. Resale value is virtually zero, but I did not buy it to flip.

Specifically, I bought it after spending an afternoon in a store with a testing room, AB'g a dozen different amps. The SP wasn't one of them, but a Peavey Bandit was, and it sounded better than anything else I played but a Fender Blues Deluxe, great amp. The BD sells for 700 euros, about $900. It's MUCH heavier than the SP. It doesn't really sound better than the SP with the Blonde, total investment of $260. I would buy both the SP and the Blonde new, now that I know what they're worth. I think $150 for a mint SP is not a steal, but it's sure a good investment. I hope you like playing yours as much as I do.

boldaslove71

Tele-Meister
A little off topic, but I picked up a PV XXL (transtube) 2x12 Combo 100W w/ footswitch this week. It was a package deal with a minty SM58. The deal also included 2 Carvin GT-12 speakers. All local from CL. The whole shebang was....wait, wait....$80!

The amp needs a little work, as 4 of the knobs are broken off (still work). The amp is MiM (I like that from previous poster - Made in Meridan ;))

So far I am quite impressed. I play both a early 90's Blues Deville and similar vintage JCM900 in my band. The XXL will not win any awards for portability (its heavy), but so far I like the clean channel (warm setting) and the Lead (British). There is an ultra channel as well, which is wider - more modern, which sounds Recto. I havent really found a settings combo that would give the Lead a simple volume boost with the Ultra channel, without drastically changing the tambre. I've still only played with it for a few days.

Compared to my Marshall (2x12 w/Celestion G12-T-75), this PV has much deeper bass response. Could be that the PV cab is a bit deeper? Both are open back cabs, approx same height and width.

Does this amp fall into similar categories as listed above, since it is a transtube?

One other feature I am enjoying about this amp is the ability to switch the effects loop from the included foot switch. I have a Line6 PodXT Live in the loop right now. I can now easily use some of the delay and mod functions and they sound good. The FS, makes A/B easy to check. I have tried some of the Amp models as well and surprisingly, they sound good in this configuration.

Would I have shelled out top dollar for a PV? Not likely, since I already have 2 amps. Buuuut, this was way too good of a deal to pass up and the SM58 for $80 was a decent deal on its own. It's almost like the amp was free. Poor guy I got it from developed carpel tunnel and can no longer play.

I do know this. I have followed some of the PV posts here and that definitely influenced my decision to give this amp a shot. So far I like the amp with the Blue Marvel speakers, but I will also try the Carvins (appear to be new) when I get the chance.

el cheapo

Friend of Leo's
Bang for the buck, nothing out there is gonna touch a used Peavey. They are built like tanks and can give great tone if you know what you're doing (either run pedals on the clean channel, or learn how to use the lead channel's saturation control or what have you). They are also loud enough for just about anything. You can get a used Vox Pathfinder for cheap and get really nice tone, but it won't match the Peavey for volume without serious help.

I've never owned a Studio Pro, but I have 3 Bandits :D (50 watt made in '82, 65 watt made in '86, 80 watt made in '08 or '09). I like all of them! Both the older Bandits have the original Scorpion speaker, and a knob marked "Presence". You can get some very fat, "tubey" sounds by turning this up a little. With the newer one I switched out the Blue Marvel for an Emi Legend V128. I mostly play with the older ones, the newer Bandit is there just in case...

If someone knows about a better sounding, more roadworthy, more reasonably priced amp, please tell us all about it!

markleehunter

TDPRI Member
Bang for the buck, nothing out there is gonna touch a used Peavey. They are built like tanks and can give great tone if you know what you're doing (either run pedals on the clean channel, or learn how to use the lead channel's saturation control or what have you). They are also loud enough for just about anything. You can get a used Vox Pathfinder for cheap and get really nice tone, but it won't match the Peavey for volume without serious help.

Nailed it.

markleehunter

TDPRI Member
A thought after reviewing the thread: The guys who said these amps deserve a speaker change are mainly right. They sound better with Jensen Mods or Celestions than with any PV stock speaker I tried. BTW I have a SP 40 and a Bandit 75 along with the SP112. Used, cheap, they work.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If this is the Red Stripe Studio Pro, with the the voicing switches and T-Dynamics knob, it's a FANTASTIC amp. You can't get anywhere close to what it'll do for $150 anywhere else.

The USA Red Stripe Peaveys with T-Dynamics are my all time favorite Peaveys.

For about ten years, I've wanted to find one of these, and re-house the guts in a Deluxe Reverb carcass. I would put down hard money that it would fool pretty much everybody. I used to have one, and gigged it all the time. People were constantly blown away that it was a SS Peavey they were hearing.

I was on a multi band bill once, a big fundraiser concert, and the backline was enormous. There must have been a dozen guitar amps on stage, including my SP. We got done with our set, and a player from another band asked me which amp I'd used, he wanted to use the same one. I told him "that little Peavey there". He didn't believe me. Actually got angry with me because he thought I was messing with him, the THIRD time I insisted that that's what I'd been using.:lol:

Nobody can believe how good those amps sound until they really experience it.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
2x10..... red fang and Celestron greenback. Mine is an avatar cab.... This is to die for single coil or buckers. 1488165532202.jpg

I use a boss ME 50 in front....I do have a big ass booteek pedal board but the ME 50 just rocks this just as well and is a lot easier to haul around..

Last edited:

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If this is the Red Stripe Studio Pro, with the the voicing switches and T-Dynamics knob, it's a FANTASTIC amp. You can't get anywhere close to what it'll do for $150 anywhere else.

The USA Red Stripe Peaveys with T-Dynamics are my all time favorite Peaveys.

For about ten years, I've wanted to find one of these, and re-house the guts in a Deluxe Reverb carcass. I would put down hard money that it would fool pretty much everybody. I used to have one, and gigged it all the time. People were constantly blown away that it was a SS Peavey they were hearing.

I was on a multi band bill once, a big fundraiser concert, and the backline was enormous. There must have been a dozen guitar amps on stage, including my SP. We got done with our set, and a player from another band asked me which amp I'd used, he wanted to use the same one. I told him "that little Peavey there". He didn't believe me. Actually got angry with me because he thought I was messing with him, the THIRD time I insisted that that's what I'd been using.:lol:

Nobody can believe how good those amps sound until they really experience it.

Reviving. @Jakedog - how does the output of the Red Stripe Studio Pro compare to that of your Frank Gambale? Related question - did you ever find the Red Strip Studio Pro not to be loud enough in a raucous band setting? Thanks.

okgb

TDPRI Member
I know it's been a couple of years, But does anyone find the overdrive channel too hissy or noisy ? I see a used one for sale locally and the seller mentions this.

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
The "trans tube" Peaveys are great amps ..... sometimes they get a bad rap. They shouldn't. The trick with these amps is taking some time to learn how to set them up.
If you are looking for a used solid state amp they are some of the best steals out there,

Reactions: BB

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I bought one of these amps ( new) on a whim/impulse in the early 2000's, and this was my recall:

I thought the Clean Channel was fine, and those dirt/Gain settings ( maybe Vintage/Modern?) on the OD channel were pretty good sounding.

But even with Master turned all the way up on either channel ( 65 watt rating right?), the amp volume just disappeared with my blues band ( harmonica, bass, drums, me on guitar) and we were not that loud.
The Blues Jr. I was using ( I was thinking 65 watts vs. 15 on BJ would be louder) just blew it away.

I also lost the Reverb in the Peavey ( just playing off and on for 6 months)- sold it for $200.

Tone Quest

Tele-Holic
I had the studio pro for a while. Was built like a tank with weight to match. Really liked the sound, but was ultimately too heavy for me. Sold it and bought a Fender Amp, which I no longer have either.

MarshallHeart

Tele-Afflicted
Anybody have/had one, heard one?
I have a chance to grab one of these from a home studio.
Mint condition for $150.
It's an older USA model from 2001, 65 watts with a Blue Marvel speaker.
My buddy has the smaller version (Envoy 110)
He put a Jensen speaker in it and it sounds really good for SS.
I'm kind of interested based on how his sounds.
Can I expect a similar sound?
I want to use it as a practice/rehearsal amp.

Also, I saw a Fender Frontman 65R on the bay for $99 +$30 shipping
I had a Fender Frontman DSP65 that was way too bright that I sold.
I heard all of the DSP line amps are very bright and the R is the way to go.
What do you think?
we live in a time where everybody can afford a tube amp. I just bought a used Blackstar HT-1r for 55$...don*t waste your time with cheap SS amps...