Peavey TransTube Studio Pro 112 any good?

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
Anybody have/had one, heard one?
I have a chance to grab one of these from a home studio.
Mint condition for $150.
It's an older USA model from 2001, 65 watts with a Blue Marvel speaker.
My buddy has the smaller version (Envoy 110)
He put a Jensen speaker in it and it sounds really good for SS.
I'm kind of interested based on how his sounds.
Can I expect a similar sound?
I want to use it as a practice/rehearsal amp.

Also, I saw a Fender Frontman 65R on the bay for $99 +$30 shipping
I had a Fender Frontman DSP65 that was way too bright that I sold.
I heard all of the DSP line amps are very bright and the R is the way to go.
What do you think?

robt57

Telefied
They are excellent, I have one. I paid 40.00 on craigslist for a mint one. That is a very good price. I would say 85.00 to 130.00 is about right, 150.00 being a bit high IMO.

So even a little high, these are great and worth buying, just better to get one a little cheaper, or maybe even for dirt like the one I got...

Search for speaker swaps if you get it. I have a G12T-100 Hot in mine [came with the Blue Marvel] and I like the amp a LOT better with almost any speaker than the original...

It can get VERY loud, no drummer is going to cause you output competition you can not deal with. ;) I never plugged into an Envoy to compare tone of/to...

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
Ok. He is firm on the price but it is dead mint and hardly used.
It's funny you mentioned a speaker upgrade..
cause I actually have a Scumback (like a Weber BD) 65 watt greenback laying around.
I once had it in a small SS Fender and it made it 2X louder!

robt57

Telefied
The SP112 does not really need a louder/more efficient speaker IMO. ;) It is plenty loud amp by any definition. It also has a good size cab and does not [what I consider] the poor bass response of the early peavey amp [IMO].

If it has a cover and the pedal and all minty you are not going to go wrong for $150.00, but should consider that top dollar as I typed already. I also put a 17" reverb tank in mine and like the result..

If yo have no decent amp, you are going to probably dig that amp. I also have a few very nice tube amps and think nothing of taking the SP instead of the AC15 of even the Brown Pro if playing out. [going from memory cause I have not played out in 100 years] :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: BB

tacomamc

Tele-Afflicted
I had one and they're great amps. I got mine for $30 and $10 for contact cleaner for the pots. It included the original manual and footswitch. Not bad for $40, huh? I got a crazy good deal, but I agree $150 is too much for this amp. Not because it isn't great, but because you can find it or the Bandit (which I think is better sounding- personal opinion only) for much less, also in great condition. If you wait it out, you'll likely see one pop up on cl that you could get for $100, maybe less. I may be biased about the pricing... I also traded one strat pu for a Bandit. Both my peaveys were made in merridian Mississippi.

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
I appreciate all the info guys. $150 didn't sound like a lot at first but I'm rethinking it now. All my other amps are highend tube so I'm a little brainwashed.
I do like it's eleven years old and looks brand spanking new, one owner and hardly used.
No cover but it has footswitch/manual.
I want to use it at church. My 100 watt Boogie MkI
and 100 watt Sundown Artist are too loud for that.

Will the Studio Pro sound much better than the Fender FR 65R I mentioned? That amp (Fender) is cheaper price wise it appears.

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
but the SP may well be too loud for church also...

Really? I thought the whole TransTube design was to have a "pushed" tube sound at any volume?

Wow! That's a loud little sucker then. With drums, bass, keyboards and strong vocals at church I wasn't comfortable going with a single 10" speaker. I never looked at the beloved Bandit thinking the SP would be just right at 65 SS watts, probably comparable to a 30-35 watt tube amp...??

Warm Gums

Friend of Leo's
The Studio Pro is what it says, a professional amp, the build quality is much better than the Fender offshore production, as is the customer support.
The Fenders can sound good, but IMHO the Peavy is more versatile, and will hold up to regular play,and load in/out much better.

Having said that the asking price is high, 1x12 Peaveys , can routinely be purchased in mint condition with f/s ,for $100 ,ones in need of a scrub to knock of some dust for $75, and $50 is not unheard of. They are fairly common and you should have no trouble finding one for that price.

Not they they are bad amps, but they are not in demand with the mania for all things tube that permeates the guitar world at the moment,

BTW, they are good sounding amps period, not good sounding amps for ss,if you approach one as you would a tube amp you will not get the best out of it. They have their own thing going on, and it can be helpful to review the owners manual..available for free from the Peavey web site. If volume is a concern I would look for a Transtube equipped with variable T-dynamics..the Express is so equipped as are all the Transtube Bandits,and red stripe SPs

Good luck with your search

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I've read countless comments on TDPRI about how cheaply one can score a used Peavey amp in mint condition, whether a Bandit or a Studio Pro. These experiences might be true in certain regions/localities across these United States (like Portland or Maryland, for example), but such steals are very rare down here in the South. And for that matter, these regional/local lucky scores don't track with sale prices on the Internet, either.

I came across such claims so often that I took to tracking sales of Peavey amps on eBay, recording the data according to auction title, item#, locale, seller's username, # of bids, date of sale and the Total Sale Price (winning bid + S/H = TSP). So let me offer some objective data of sales on eBay of Studio Pro 112 (red stripes) in the last 5 months.

I was watching one on eBay a couple of weeks ago that sold for $125. It was a red stripe delta, MiM (Made in Mississippi) and the Reverb didn't work. And he sold it for $125. From September through December of last year, two red stripe MiM (Made in Mississippi) sold for $170 and $142, respectively. Take the average of those 3 in the last 5 months, and you have an average price of $145.66.

And even as we speak, there is a red stripe delta SP-112 (footswitch included) up for auction that is just 5 hours away from selling for $150, if not more.

Now, are these amps worth it? IMHO opinion, yes. A mint condition red stripe SP-112 is a nice amp worth having, and I would say that the $150 price tag reflects fair market value. I agree that the Bandit is better, but the SPs are close. I've had two: a teal stripe 110 that I gave to my son a few years ago, and my current mid-90s vintage silver stripe TT model. Plenty loud enough (the Bandit 65 was also 65 watts), nice cleans, so-so lead channel (depends what you play, to some extent), spring reverb, and it's a good 9 lbs lighter than a Bandit.

tacomamc

Tele-Afflicted
LarryG makes a good point. My experience has brought me very innexpensive and great amps, but it might well be region dependent.

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
With a speaker swap, I thought that the red stripe, delta, Studio Pro, was the best of the solid state Peavey's. I've also owned a Bandit and a Supreme XL.

SamClemons

Poster Extraordinaire
Ebay sales on that model are in line with the 150 dollar asking price. Plus you know what you are getting. Unless you are just really tight on money, I would lay down 150 for an amp I liked.

Someone has one in Colchester for $125.00 probably take 100, no footswitch cover etc. definitely used. http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2791603841.html

Northern Berkshire for $190.00 with foot switch http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/2809005849.html

110 version in Meridian for 90 dollars http://newhaven.craigslist.org/msg/2805425731.html

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
... And even as we speak, there is a red stripe delta SP-112 (footswitch included) up for auction that is just 5 hours away from selling for $150, if not more. ...

That Studio Pro 112 red stripe delta on eBay that I mentioned last night? Well as it turned out, that auction got only 1 bidder. The starting price had been set at $150, and so that buyer won the auction at $150. And since the seller offered free shipping, the Total Sale Price was $150.

So, I've tracked two Peavey Studio Pro 112 red stripe amps so far in January of 2012, and I tracked Studio Pros (all configurations, SP-40s, SP-110s, etc.) from September through December of 2011, and two red stripe versions sold in that time, as I mentioned in my previous post. The average of those four sales of SP-112 red stripes is $146.75.

SamClemons provided some interesting info on asking prices for SPs in several different localities near to the OP, hotrodkid. None of the 3 were red stripes, though; a couple of silver stripes (possibly 5 years older than the 2001 red stripe hotrodkid was looking at) and one teal stripe 110 (different size speaker and possibly 10 years older).

I periodically check CL to get a sense of asking prices, but that won't tell you the actual sale price. For that, I use eBay.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
Larry's right, ebay prices are climbing higher. But another great resource is Guitar Center's used site. Just did a search a minute ago and there are 8 Studio Pros selling between $59 and $100 and another at $120.

I've had excellent results with their national used gear. 30 day satisfaction guarantee, and any clunkers were easily returned at the local store. Also, their shipping charges are much lower than what ebay sellers typically charge.

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
Just curious..

Anybody know/remember what the SP's
were selling for new in the early 2000's?
Not that it really matters but I would like to know.
I remember the Bandits being around $369 - $379 plus tax.
Not sure if that included a footswitch though..
About $60 less than a Classic 30 if my memory serves me right.

Warm Gums

Friend of Leo's
Ron C said:
Larry's right, ebay prices are climbing higher. But another great resource is Guitar Center's used site. Just did a search a minute ago and there are 8 Studio Pros selling between $59 and $100 and another at $120.

I've had excellent results with their national used gear. 30 day satisfaction guarantee, and any clunkers were easily returned at the local store. Also, their shipping charges are much lower than what ebay sellers typically charge.

I have owned the following 1x12 PV'S over the last couple of years..
All were purchased from GC

Slilver stripe SP $75
Teal stripe, SP 112 $50 ( very messy..but it did clean up) great amp BTW..might be a good choice for church as it has a balanced XLR out put,AFAIK the only SP so,equipped.
Red Stripe Bandit w/ fs $99 (mint)...Philly area
I currently own a SP 40 that I paid $39 for..again dirty, but a damp cloth took care of the bulk of the muck.
There is an ss Express w\ fs at my local GC for $99
And yes these are LOUD amps, the reason I have the 40 is that it is somewhat home friendly..somewhat, I'm tempted to grab the express,and explore the T~Dynamics more that I did with the Bandit, which was far too large for comfort..
I have also picked up a 2x12 100 series Classic for $115, a friend gigs it all up and down the east cost..the poor mans Twin.
And a RS envoy that needed the reverb feed reseated for $29

I would say that in general GC considers PV gear to be "second tier" and lumps it in with Crate, Kustom, Behringer etc..all of which are very inexpensive..they also put Carvin in that group. On the other hand Fender and Marshall ss gear is grossly overpriced for the most part.
The GC shop to shop transfer may be the best way to get a bargain, on these "lesser" amps.

BTW don't discount the other makes, while I feel PV is the best ss gear going, Crate, Carvin & Kustom make some good stuff.
I once had a Crate with a stock Fane cast basket speaker, and many Crates had Celestions.
Carvins SX series are excellent amps, I just sold a 1x12 that was a real doozy, and a student just scored a Kustom MOSFET 85 that would be a excellent alternative to a Bandit..none of these were more than 75 bucks and the Kustom was less than $50.

Reactions: BB

fenderman2009

TDPRI Member
I have both an early-eighties Studio Pro and a teal-stripe Bandit, and although they are both very nice amps, I would definitely say the SP sounds better with Teles. I also recommend the Scorpion-equipped SPs (think early- to mid-eighties), unless you want to change the speaker. Just my .02.